VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I ripped one episode from "the dead zone" tv series with makemkv so it wasn't re-encoded and started playing it through my xbox one s with vlc and it had numerous blocking and generally look really crappy so i re-encoded with vidcoder to 1920x1080 crf 18 and the copy looked alright,wasnt hd but very watchable,just curious if the xbox one s is not a very good upscaler for dvd material?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I ripped one episode from "the dead zone" tv series with makemkv so it wasn't re-encoded and started playing it through my xbox one s with vlc and it had numerous blocking and generally look really crappy so i re-encoded with vidcoder to 1920x1080 crf 18 and the copy looked alright,wasnt hd but very watchable,just curious if the xbox one s is not a very good upscaler for dvd material?
    try turning off the 16:9 setting and try the pan & scan option - https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/85bw7u/xbox_one_x_dvd_playback_is_this_normal_70inch_4k/
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That's not an issue with my setup,the picture is in a proper 16:9 anamorphic screen,what happens is there's a lot of macroblocks in the picture like there's not enough bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I found that vlc is at fault,i just tried another media player and it plays the video with no issues.
    Quote Quote