VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am new and overwhelmed on where to start on this thread.

-About 15 years ago I converted all of our home videos to 22 DVD's.
    -I have the DVD's backed up on my computer, 22 folders with 3 .gi files.'
    -Each DVD represents a year with several different events ( ex. 1997 Xmas, Thanksgiving, Recital, etc)

I want to take the DVD files, convert to a format that enables me to stream the media to a firetv (or any streaming device) with the DVD menu functionality.
    What format do I convert to?
    What software do I use to convert?
    What software do I use to stream to the TV.

Finally - I have a I5 6400 processor, 16gb ram, w/intel video card built into motherboard...if that helps.

If this has already been addressed in the forum, my apologies...just don't know where to start.

Thank You.

Jon
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jono15 View Post
    I am new and overwhelmed on where to start on this thread.

-About 15 years ago I converted all of our home videos to 22 DVD's.
    -I have the DVD's backed up on my computer, 22 folders with 3 .gi files.'
    -Each DVD represents a year with several different events ( ex. 1997 Xmas, Thanksgiving, Recital, etc)

I want to take the DVD files, convert to a format that enables me to stream the media to a firetv (or any streaming device) with the DVD menu functionality.
    What format do I convert to?
    What software do I use to convert?
    What software do I use to stream to the TV.

Finally - I have a I5 6400 processor, 16gb ram, w/intel video card built into motherboard...if that helps.

If this has already been addressed in the forum, my apologies...just don't know where to start.

Thank You.

Jon
    The Android version of VLC (available from the Google Play Store or Fire) can play files stored on another computer and is supposed to be able to play DVD ISOs. If your DVDs are not already stored on your computer as ISO files, ImgBurn can create a DVD ISO file from a DVD file and folder structure. (I assume that you can unpack the .GI files to DVD file and folder format somehow.)

I have VLC installed on my Chromecast with Google TV but have not tried playing a DVD ISO with it.

[Edit]Out of curiosity, I tried playing an ISO stored on one of my PCs using the version of VLC installed on my Chromecast with Google TV. The program description on the VLC webpage that I referenced is wrong!

Unlike the Windows version of VLC, VLC for Android doesn't recognize an ISO file as playable. VLC for Android doesn't know what to do when it is asked to open VIDEO_TS.IFO either. VLC for Android can only play individual VOB files from a DVD stored as files and folders. I am very disappointed. I am sorry to have recommended VLC for Android.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Feb 2021 at 17:25.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'm pretty sure imgburn can open .gi files. hard to recall but i think the "cue" file is the smallest .gi file. once it's open imgburn can write it back out as an iso.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think Imgburn can open a .GI file and burn it as a DVD but I'm less certain Imgburn can open a .GI file and convert it to an .ISO file. Maybe ImgBurn can read the data inside a .GI file if it is mounted in a virtual drive and use that to create an ISO? I did an Internet search and found that gBurner Virtual Drive 5.0, which I have never heard of before, is supposed to be able to mount a .GI file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried KODI for Android on my Chromecast with Google TV and was able to play a DVD ISO stored on one of my PCs with it.

KODI can be installed on a variety of devices: Amazon Firesticks, Android devices, or Raspberry Pis. However, KODI probably has more features than needed and compared to VLC for Windows, it is awkward to set up KODI to access files stored on another computer.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Feb 2021 at 16:38. Reason: punctuation
    Quote Quote