VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi guys,

I have a region 1 NTSC dvd that I am trying to rip to my hard drive. This is the only dvd that I want to rip so I don't want to pay for a program that I will only use this once.

I am based in the u.k and have changed the region settings on my laptop to enable me to rip this dvd.

The dvd that I am trying to rip is anamorphic 1.66. I want to rip the dvd if possible 1 for 1. I don't want to lose any quality. I am using Handbrake and the program keeps on zooming in and taking off the black bars on the sides or ripping with a black box around the whole image.

I haven't ever ripped dvds before and am tearing my hair out a little bit, surely it shouldn't be this diifficult?!?

I want to be able to watch the ripped dvd from my hard drive on my t.v and for it to look as though I were watching the dvd itself.

Can anyone recommend a free program that is more user friendly or kindly talk me through what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks.
    Tim.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just disable cropping in handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  3. is makemkv relevant to this project
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Retrobeat View Post
    The dvd that I am trying to rip is anamorphic 1.66. I want to rip the dvd if possible 1 for 1. I don't want to lose any quality. I am using Handbrake and the program keeps on zooming in and taking off the black bars on the sides or ripping with a black box around the whole image.

I haven't ever ripped dvds before and am tearing my hair out a little bit, surely it shouldn't be this diifficult?!?

I want to be able to watch the ripped dvd from my hard drive on my t.v and for it to look as though I were watching the dvd itself.
    Is space an issue? If not, you may prefer ripping the DVD straight to ISO or a VIDEO_TS folder - many software media players will treat those as if they were the original DVD. Though, I'd make sure the media player I want to use would indeed play ISO disc images or the contents of a DVD ripped to files (within VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS/etc. folders).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote