VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does this improve contrast and smoothness of the video?
    Quote Quote  
  2. No, it reduces banding in the colors.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Image
    [Attachment 49502 - Click to enlarge]
    . Do you see any colour bandings here? On the word Ultra Hard flashing with light, I can see colours in rough banding. Would adding Chroma smoother give me this result Image
    [Attachment 49503 - Click to enlarge]
    ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. With the setting you're using what you're seeing is a chroma shift -- better alignment of the chroma with the luma. It's especially obvious on the orange "DIFFICULTY LEVEL" text.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is there any VirtualDub or AviSynth filters that fix this? Even raw video has this artifact. I want to remove it so that it looks like the second one.
    Quote Quote  
  6. In the second image the chroma channels are blurred and shifted. You could probably get similar results from Blur() or BinomialBlur() and ChromaShiftSP().

Y,U,V channels stacked vertically, first image on left, second image on right:
    [Attachment 49504 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Jul 2019 at 21:37.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It says there are no functions as BinomialBlur() and ChromaShiftSP()
    Quote Quote  
  8. They aren't included in a base AviSynth installation. You have to download and install them.

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/ChromaShiftSP
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/VariableBlur
    Quote Quote  
  9. h wait -- I just noticed there are two "Ultra Hard" texts in the images. I was looking at the one near the bottom center of the frame. The other one (orange, near the top right) looks like:

[Attachment 49512 - Click to enlarge]

I added the full color image at the top. The others are the same as before Y, U, V.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Image
    [Attachment 49534 - Click to enlarge]
    . This is the result when I don't add smoother and sharpen. This is what I get when I just crop and resize the video. We both use the same cable, capture card, console, and same video editor. I'm wondering what gives him better result. I don't know if he's using AviSynth anyway and I can't ask him since he isn't available for reach out. As you are experienced at video stuffs, I am asking you. Does blurring make colours flash like his video? His video looks smoother. It made me think that he added other filters beside deinterlacing, cropping, and resizing.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jseo13579 View Post
    Does blurring make colours flash like his video?
    No. And I have no idea what your are talking about since you've only posted still images. I haven't see the source video, his encoded video, or your encoded video.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'll post it when I go back home, but I'm on a trip now. Anyway, I also find blur filter in Virtualdub and also blur more. What are those filters used for?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jseo13579 View Post
    I also find blur filter in Virtualdub and also blur more. What are those filters used for?
    To blur and blur more.
    Quote Quote