VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13
FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Thread
  1. BTW, I looked for CTV, and CBC Gem in the Google TV store -- they weren't there. There was a CTV News app only. This could be a regional issue though (I'm in the USA). Or maybe you can sideload the Android TV apps.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    wonder if the dual-sided gyro remote w/ keypad on one side might be a viable choice here as well ?
    I have a remote with a keyboard and gyro mouse so I tried it out on the Chromecast with Google TV (an external a USB C PD hub for this as the Chromecast has only one USB C port that's normally used to power the device). The gyro mouse works but I don't think Google TV is really set up for one. You can move the gyro pointer around the screen and select things with a button click but it doesn't scroll when you move the mouse off the edge of the screen. You have to use the arrow keys for that. (This particular gyro mouse is really crappy. The pointer slowly moves up the screen when you set it down. Motion isn't real consistent, etc., overall pretty useless.)
    Just went to check. The one I have is the Minix AirMouse-1. I think there may have been some copycat knock-offs of this, but the Minix may have been the best of breed -- unless some newer, better model has come along since. It seemed to have been popular, as Amazon was frequently out of stock on it, and that well predated the pandemic.

[Update: may have been a bit mistaken on the exact model #. Amazon showing "currently unavailable", but this seems to be the one, still showing as available from NewEgg:
    https://www.newegg.com/minix-neo-a3-airmouse-with-voice-input-2-4g-wireless-air-mouse/...173-00YS-00002 -- but I don't think mine had voice input yet. Not a fan of that feature anyway, have it disabled for Shield & Roku.]

I had to pretty much give up on the Rii mini-keyboards, as they were not reliable for long, and all too soon lost the ability to recharge.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 9th Nov 2021 at 21:25.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, most Android apps are meant for touchscreen devices and don't work well without a touchscreen. You can use any USB mouse/keyboard with the Shield. I use an old USB mini keyboard/trackpad I had sitting around with my Chromecast/GoogleTV. Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Miritz-Wireless-Keyboard-Touchpad-Control/dp/B01LZIIH24/

The trackpad is pretty crappy but I use it mainly for entering text.
    As far as control you can download (available for ios android) official android tv remote app which lets you control the box without the remote ( I use it on two boxes one in living room one in bedroom next floor )which changed couple of firmware's from official android tv 7 to 10 to some very nice custom firmware's for s905x/x2) and the best thing is you can use the voice control of your mobile phone to search even without looking at the TV. As far as kodi goes there are some very awesome remote apps like Kore for example with it you can control every file video audio tv channels youtube ets and ets all on your phone without being in the same room with the box and it works on almost any cheep Chinese box. I stopped using the original remotes couple of years back. This method of controlling the box for me is far more convenient than using keyboard or remote( and yes you can turn on/off the box over the WiFi)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Incidentally, a friend complained to me that recent iterations of the top Roku model will not allow you to install VLC on them (from the Google Play store), severely hampering video file playback options.
    I have a Roku Ultra that I got about 18 months ago. VLC is not available at the Play Store.
    And I just made the huge mistake of updating the native software (firmware ?) on my older Roku, to the current level. It threw up this unfortunate note, and wiped out the installed VLC -- and probably some other stuff from the Play Store that I'm not recalling at the moment. Had I known this would happen, I would not have allowed the update to proceed. But I suppose we'll never know whether they could / would have invalidated the installed Play Store apps regardless. That might have been a possibility. This is far from trivial, because any software video player Roku provides really sucks, in comparison to VLC. I still have VLC on my first gen Amazon Fire TV, and the officially semi-abandoned Skystream boxes -- and of course it remains available on the Nvidia Shield.

That still leaves open the question of whether the VLC apk could be side-loaded. But if there's any chance of brick-ing the box by so doing, I'd be hesitant.

[Attachment 59773 - Click to enlarge]

[Not sure how that came out upside down from the upload, but if I can edit this to correct that I will. The orientation looks right in my photo viewer program.]
    Google removed its Play Movies and TV app from every Roku and most smart TVs beginning on July 15. Users with Roku, Samsung, LG, or Vizio devices had to switch to the YouTube app to get access to movies or TV shows that they bought or rented through the Google Play Store according to the link below:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/12/22380593/google-play-movies-tv-app-smart-tvs-roku-s...outube-support
    While they apparently happen to be the 1200 lb. gorilla in terms of streaming box market share, and to have the simplest UI for the generally clueless user, I have to say flat out that Roku SUCKS !!! From the very first setup-but-you-MUST-FIRST-Register-a-credit-card-account-with-us if you actually want to use it, to their excessively restrictive lockdown procedures and policies, to withdrawing key items you had previously loaded and were using, and now to this latest affront:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk0Oq8O4HwA

Dropping YT will simply be huge, leaving one gigantic void.

No chance for having Kodi, of course. Roku insists on micro-managing everything, down to the tiniest detail.

The erasure of VLC leaves this platform with no video player that is anywhere near as good. And their choice of two supported browsers we never heard of is pathetic. Their very limited app store is quite inferior to the paltry selection found in the Google Play Store -- although the latter can be spoofed for Android devices, much expanding the selection. I can't think of anything that Roku offers which cannot be done as well or better by three of the competing streaming boxes that I own, without being hemmed in at every turn by arbitrarily imposed limitations. So now you can see why several months go by in between the occasions when I might fire up the Roku.

The possibility of any side loading of apps is also going away. (It turns out that Roku OS is some proprietary Linux variant, more related to IOS, and not Android-based, as many had supposed. I didn't realize that until I looked it up)

I'd love to see them getting hammered by the competition . . . but that ain't gonna happen.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 19th Nov 2021 at 15:42.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dropping YT will simply be huge, leaving one gigantic void.
    [Edi]I see now that I missed your YT link that says that Roku made the decision to drop YouTube due to an ongoing spat with Google.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Nov 2021 at 20:36.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In search of better, more recent info, I'm going to again wonder aloud whether the Skystream Co. is still breathing -- in any meaningful fashion ? My models ONE and TWO stopped receiving any updates quite awhile ago. (Nvidia Shield seems to be the only streamer / player device that kept receiving software updates -- even going back to their original 2015 models ! That is impressive.) The apparent last Skystream model, the SkyStream PRO 8K Streaming Media Player, https://www.skystreamx.com, is listed as Sold Out. That could be a byproduct of the pandemic, either due to demand or to supply chain issues, or maybe not ? There is some model I never heard of, the SKYSTREAM NETWORKS 820400 MICRO EMR-1600, being sold used on eBay. But otherwise, all else is silence. Per a previous report here, the prior model THREE was said to be a a capable, all-formats media player . . . but which had dropped the streaming side.

Just out of curiosity, if anyone reading this had the discontinued and driven-off-the-market Dragon Box, does it still turn on or do anything ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. My Sister's TV konked out so I got her a new TV. It is a TCL 32" 720p Android TV. There is a world of difference between an official Android TV then what I got with the Android TV box I bought. It is working well so far. I could have gotten a 1080p TV that has Roku built in but it had no ethernet slot so I didn't buy that. I prefer ethernet. A warning the TV has a slot where you can plug in an adapter for composite devices like the Nintendo Wii but it doesn't come with that adapter. A thing I don't like about it is the basic remote and no actual buttons on the TV to select your input and a power button to turn the TV on and off.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I continue to favor my Nvidia Shield for most streaming situations and certain local files playback ones. The exceptions are buffering and outright loss of WiFi connection, which could be due to the age or latter day deficiencies of my router, and many local playback examples where my ancient WD Live TV player still wins out. I hardly ever even connect the Roku Ultra or Amazon Fire, and Skystream has pretty much disappeared from the arena. The Roku is a mass market choice that never really impressed me, accept as an option for the relatively clueless who needed simplicity and user-friendliness above all else. And I really did not like key streaming-service support decisions that Roku made.

I'll note again that I was very deliberate in my choice of which Nvidia Shield model, as I clearly preferred an older one having dual USB ports + memory card slot. That configuration was dropped in subsequent models. I have held off on accepting the last major Android firmware update on the Shield, as there were mixed reports on it, and I did not devote the time to vetting that the way I wished to.

Along the way, I've wondered whether I might be missing anything in the Dune or Zidoo camps ? These have been mentioned here in threads from time to time. If anyone has updated observations on the capabilities and performance of these boxes -- and in direct comparison to the other streamer / player boxes -- I'd be interested to hear them. Moreover, which models of them did you prefer, and why ? (There is a Dune Kartina model, and some are saying Dune Solo was better than a later model, for example.) How is the support from those companies, to the extent that may matter ? (Skystream support was pretty decent for awhile, but trailed off markedly in tandem with their declining fortunes.) I'm a hobbyist and something of a completist, when there may be multiple good options to try out, and am generally not deterred by the pricing -- within reason.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 30th Jul 2022 at 18:14.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    There is a world of difference between an official Android TV then what I got with the Android TV box I bought.
    Definitely. The fake Android TV boxes (based on a smartphone or tablet Android OS) are very limited. If all you want to do is run KODI they are OK. But other than that they start running into problems.
    Quote Quote  
  10. seeker47: Thank you for your post. Some of the information I have read here at Videohelp made me hesitant about buying the Roku TV. I would have liked to have had 1080p instead of 720p as then the TV could have made a good computer monitor as well. But unless a TV or box has ethernet capabilities, I don't want to buy them either.

jagabo: I haven't tried it yet but I may be able to get a mini-usb keyboard working on the TV as well. Just plug the Bluetooth doggle into the USB slot on the TV and set it up. I have wanted to put Solitaire, Wordsearch, Suduko and Jigsaw Puzzle Games on the Android Box but with all the ads and collecting of data I have held off. I hope that this thread stops someone from buying those fake Android Boxes and hold out and make sure they are getting an official Android OS. I don't think even using them as a Kodi Media Player Box is up to snuff either as both the Android Boxes are limited in their function in my experience.

A note for people there is a way to safely "eject" thumb drives and other usb storage devices. It is important to learn what to do on that score because just unplugging a hard drive can corrupt your data. There is a way to "eject" safely on the Android TV and I did a Google search to find out how. It is kind of scary that one line down once you get to that setting is "erase and format this drive" which you wouldn't want to do by accident.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tom Saurus: A couple points which I hope might be of some use. I have a memory card permanently installed in the Shield, and there is often a thumb drive attached to it also. I turn the Shield off by cutting power to it with an outboard switch. (Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O8YNMVI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Was available in 1, 2, or 3 outlet configurations, although this one is currently showing as out of stock. Probably available elsewhere. I'd check Ace Hardware, Home Depot, eBay.) Have done this practically every day to stream something or other, like MLB during the season. I've never experienced any damage to the media contents by doing so. It's not just with the Shield. I do that with the WD Live TV, and I can't recall which but either the Roku or the Fire TV have no OFF switch, so something else needs to be done to turn them off and that is how I've done it.

Secondly, I have no faith in Bluetooth to speak of. Yes, it does work for linking my cell phone to my car for hands-free usage, but pretty much for anything else the connection has been way too flakey, prone to constant drops. I got a wireless Logitech keyboard for those video stack situations that require or benefit from having a real keyboard available. It cost somewhere between 60 to 80 USD. I expect it must be IR or RF. Could check on the model #, if you're interested. Quite frankly, if I had to I'd rather use even a wired USB keyboard than a Bluetooth-based one. That might be extendable by several additional feet, using a USB extension cable.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Seeker47: Thank you for your post. I put the Bluetooth dongle in the TV's USB slot and the mini-keyboard does work. However what you wrote may be of use as it is good to learn of other ways of doing things.

I have thought of installing some free game apps on the Android TV, but I worry about what data they can glean and use. Like can they discover the login information if we sign into Netflix. I was thinking of purchasing a month of Disney Plus maybe once every six months and I wouldn't want any of that login information to be intercepted. My preference when it comes to game apps is to play them offline and avoid all those adds and such.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At least in terms of things that come to my attention, news of further options on the Android streaming box front has been very scarce, for quite some time now. I did post a couple times, seeking info on the relative merits and reliability of some of the more "exotic" (& pricey) choices, of Dune vs. Zidoo etc., but heard almost nothing in response -- at least here on VH. Now I see there is a bit more stirring in the bushes: well, on eBay, anyway. For example:

Octastream Q1 Pro
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/284546620806

StreamDragon By FreeStream/Stream Dragon/MAX Streaming
    (seems to be trading somewhat on name reference to the Dragon Box, which got driven off of the market by the powers that be)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/124645547872

BRAND NEW KARTINA-X KARTINA TV 4K MEDIA PLAYER POWERED BY DUNE HD
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/164795382400

Zappiti MINI 4K HDR Media Player - SKU#1569465
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/334535758807

I'm wary of more gear from China, particularly when I'm not finding any noteworthy advances in spec.s, like for the processor, storage, connectivity, etc. (But then again, even SkyStream, which had a U.S. office in FL., seems to have been just a relative flash in the pan . . . . )

Unless and until something comes along to seriously challenge the Nvidia Shield in significant respects, I think that is going to remain the benchmark for me. And that has a major, stays-the-course company behind it, so you're unlikely to be left high and dry in the event of problems.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 3rd Sep 2022 at 17:01.
    Quote Quote  
  14. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01C4Cv6BgSE

I like the cheaper price as I don't have an 4K TV so HD is enough for my needs. But one must remember if you want ethernet you have to get a dongle. Does anyone have any suggestions for a USB hub that has ethernet and some USB slots that would work with this at a cheap price? Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01C4Cv6BgSE

I like the cheaper price as I don't have an 4K TV so HD is enough for my needs. But one must remember if you want ethernet you have to get a dongle. Does anyone have any suggestions for a USB hub that has ethernet and some USB slots that would work with this at a cheap price? Thank you in advance.
    That meets all of your particulars ? Not offhand, at the present moment. But I haven't investigated that at this point, either. One thing I would mention though is that quite often a powered hub is likely to be required.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post

You'll need a USB C hub with Power Delivery and a beefier power supply. I'm using these with my Chromecast (the older US$50 4K Google TV device):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2ZS1B5/
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081GYSPVM/

If you plan on lots of USB devices you may need more than 25 watts.

For USA buyers the US$20 4K ONN player may be a better deal than the Chromecasts:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Android-TV-4K-UHD-Streaming-Device-with-Voice-Remote-Co...able/636597403

It runs Android TV rather than Google TV (they're very similar) so it may not be supported for as long. I have one of these hooked up to one of our TVs. Note that is uses micro USB rather than USB C. So it won't work with the above accessories. I do have it hooked up to a USB hub though:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BDJN76M/
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM

I found this one, which had reviews noting its compatibility with the CCWGTV: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085XZGVN5/ Ethernet is 100 Mbps

If you get a USB C hub with Ethernet then you also need a new power adapter to go with a hub, at least 65 W to use Ethernet on the hub above, but more than that would be better if you are going to connect a drive to it as well.
    https://www.amazon.com/ZMI-zPower-Turbo-Power-Adapter/dp/B07D64QLQ1/

You will also need a USB C male to USB female cable if the cable with the power adapter is too short or a USB C female to USB C female coupler to join the hub's power cable with the power adapter cable.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thank you guys. In Canadian Amazon price for the Vemont is $51.08:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B085XZGVN5/?th=1

Why doesn't Google TV just make a box with ethernet, some USB slots and a media player?

I think in the end I am going to have to bite the bullet and buy a Raspberry Pi. It is way past time that they came out with a Raspberry Pi 5.

So more thinking. I better save my money to put toward heating oil fill ups this winter. My first fill up this year may be a thousand dollars before taxes. Hopefully this old Windows 7 computer keeps chugging along. Now if I win the Lotto Max 70 million dollar jackpot then I can upgrade and buy these new devices as well.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    I think in the end I am going to have to bite the bullet and buy a Raspberry Pi.
    Good luck finding one at a reasonable price. The RPi 4 has been in short supply with jacked up prices ever since it was released. And it's especially bad now (>US$200). Apparently almost all of the production (400K units/month) is going to OEMs, not retail. I doubt RPi 5 availability will be any better once it's released. And that probably won't happen until late 2023 or later.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why doesn't Google TV just make a box with ethernet, some USB slots and a media player?
    I'm guessing it is because more people have wireless networks now and more people want a smaller, unobtrusive device to upgrade their older TV for streaming.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks once again guys. Even though it will be awhile before I buy something such as these gizmos I am sure that people can still find value in the thread. Maybe when the heating season ends I can treat myself to some new technology.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I am thinking this mini desktop computer may meet my needs:

https://www.amazon.ca/Beelink-Mini-Computer-Bluetooth-Ethernet/dp/B0B3MRVF4K/ref=sr_1_...05&sr=1-4&th=1

Then I get a wireless keyboard with track pad built in. It won't have the convenience of apps but it gets me to Windows 11 and lets me experience USB 3.0 as I have several 2 TB hard drives that are USB 3.0.

https://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-Wireless-Touch-Keyboard-920-007119/dp/B014EUQOGK/ref=pd...014EUQOGK&th=1

It has good reviews. I am on a small income and the heating oil fill ups this winter are going to add up but sometimes you just have to make an investment in new to you technology. Perhaps I could mostly retire my current Windows 7 Desktop PC from the Internet.

Any thoughts guy? Your input is always appreciated and thank you in advance. I am a bit concerned the keyboard may be a bit cramped for typing.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I used to use an ASRock BeeBox (Celeron N3150 CPU) as a HTPC in the bedroom. It was fine for its time. It was running Win7 with Windows Media Center to watch cable TV. And to watch local videos on the NAS.

If you only do light computing it should be fine for you. If you use it as a media player you may want a wireless remote too. That's more convenient that a keyboard. Get the 256 GB version for CA$17 more.
    Quote Quote  
  24. jagabo: Thank you for your advice. I ordered the 256 GB version you recommended. I won't be watching 4K Video, probably 480 p the majority of the time. I won't expect much out of this but hopefully it will last a long time and hopefully I get good use out of it over the years.

I ordered the keyboard for now and I will see how that goes and perhaps later on I will get that wireless remote.

At Best Buy I got an excellent deal on ESET Nod 23 Internet Security Premium for the new computer. I also got a really good deal on 2 WD Easystore 128 GB Thumb Drives.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you use it as a media player you may want a wireless remote too. That's more convenient that a keyboard.
    What RF/Bluetooth remote would you suggest?

Also, isn't the ability to use a remote tied to the media player software being used? I know that Kodi is designed to use a remote. I used an MCE IR remote + IR receiver with Windows 7's Media Center and after that, with NextPVR for a while. (I eventually decided to just use an RF keyboard w/touch pad with NextPVR.) Which other media player software is designed to uses a remote?
    Quote Quote  
  26. I don't really know about the remotes that are available now. Back when I was using the BeeBox I had an earlier version of this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Inteset-Universal-Receiver-Streamers-Including/dp/B08KBVTGFH/

But that may be overkill for Tom. And BT might be preferable to IR these days (depending on what the TV supports)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't really know about the remotes that are available now. Back when I was using the BeeBox I had an earlier version of this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Inteset-Universal-Receiver-Streamers-Including/dp/B08KBVTGFH/

But that may be overkill for Tom. And BT might be preferable to IR these days (depending on what the TV supports)
    I use that (or a very similar) Interset remote for one of my Nvidia Shields, and for that it's by far the best of several that I tried. What the tv supports may be irrelevant, as long as you have the right and necessary dongle for the remote. In my example, the dongle goes into the Shield. I also have a non-BT Logitech wireless keyboard, which ought to be good, though I've scarcely had much opportunity to use it. As I've noted before, I think RF or IR has it all over BT in terms of stability -- with the notable exception being for hands-free cellphone setups in your car, which tend to be higher quality, are built-in by the auto mfr., and operate within a smaller enclosed environment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used to use an ASRock BeeBox (Celeron N3150 CPU) as a HTPC in the bedroom. It was fine for its time. It was running Win7 with Windows Media Center to watch cable TV. And to watch local videos on the NAS.

If you only do light computing it should be fine for you. If you use it as a media player you may want a wireless remote too. That's more convenient that a keyboard. Get the 256 GB version for CA$17 more.
    Would you happen to have any info on current ASRock mini-PC models, for possible HTPC use ? Say, i7 + all the hardware features one might want for this purpose ? (Memory, storage, connectivity ports. Very quiet, without overheating concerns.) Reliability, as well. My basis for comparison would be Shuttle, though I have no experience with their tiny form factor designs, many of which were market positioned primarily for POS terminal, kiosk, or digital signage applications, rather than for a more explicitly niche HTPC category.

If I took this route, it would be to be able to also run Windows apps and to have complete codecs support. The Nvidia Shield and other playback options available to me have amply covered the rest.

[And a note to Tom: please read the cautionary thread here on Windows 11 !]
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    What the tv supports may be irrelevant, as long as you have the right and necessary dongle for the remote.
    The remote may end up controlling multiple devices (BD/DVD player, TV, etc.) For example, often one wants the remote to control audio volume on the TV (not the media player) and many TVs only support IR remotes.

Hey, since you have a Nvidia Shield, can you try playing some of these Hi10P (10 bit h.264) videos on it:

https://www.koi-sama.net/files/hi10/

Relative to the discussion here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/407633-Bluray-player-that-supports-modern-codecs

Would you happen to have any info on current ASRock mini-PC models, for possible HTPC use ?
    Sorry, I haven't been keeping track of that.
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th Nov 2022 at 13:01.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't really know about the remotes that are available now. Back when I was using the BeeBox I had an earlier version of this:

I have one of the earlier Inteset IR remotes too.
    Quote Quote