VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Easy Capture Device Jitter on Tape Play Back VHS or Bata But DVD works fine.

I am having the same problem. This is indicative of all video tape Play back VHS BATA OR pro machines, all NTSC TVs are more forgiving and you see what looks like a good picture. and you will not notice the Jitter. As a TV broadcaster we used time base Correction (TBC) devices which stabilize the Video. now some deck for some reason have less jitter and may work with this device.
    That being said NTSC is no longer broadcast and TBCS were only used for NTSC, there should be a lot of used gear for a good price. I am looking for some and will let you Guys Know what I find.
    another Point when Video or audio tapes are Manufactured tape Comes out on a sheet about a Meter wide, the edge cuts were used for consumer tape. and the center were for Broadcasters, Professional tapes as a very mush higher price.
    there are many sizes of video 2" 1" 3/4" 1/2" and 8MM tapes
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    What does those links have to do with the OP request?

Anyway to the OP, Yes you will need an external TBC. But you may still have problems with that capture device, Post some model #'s for your gear and what OS system you're on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jromeot@gmail.com View Post
    another Point when Video or audio tapes are Manufactured tape Comes out on a sheet about a Meter wide, the edge cuts were used for consumer tape. and the center were for Broadcasters, Professional tapes as a very mush higher price.
    there are many sizes of video 2" 1" 3/4" 1/2" and 8MM tapes
    This sounds more like a myth, they could make consumer video tapes much easier/cheaper i guess,
    getting the oxide particles to stick to the tape was more important, and would be much more of a different process.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, a lot of misinformation being dropped on these threads lately.

To clarify:
    Due to the low tape speed combined with looser tolerance of mechanical error in the manufacturing of the decks, consumer tape formats have more timebase issues than do pro tapes. Any mechanical analog format, however, will be many magnitudes of error above digital. VHS & Betamax are analog and tape-based, DVD is digital and disc-based. Clear demarcation of the different level of timebase stability. One of the whole point of digital was to provide immunity from the environmental variables that interfere (usually via error-correction coding), along with exact reproduceabilty. One of those interfering environmental factors was timebase instability.

It is NOT true that remark about TBCs - both PAL and NTSC tape suffer from timebase instability, so both can be helped by proper usage of TBCs. Consumer or Pro.

AFA tape manufacturing: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-7/Videotape.html is a pretty good indicator of the process. But there is NOTHING in there that differentiates consumer vs. pro tape in terms of "edge" or "center". No, what differentiates those 2 has to do with the higher quality (tighter) tolerances in the coating batch and its finish, the stronger magnetic properties of the pro formats. My educated guess is that the EDGES of magnetic sheets are cast off, and all formats use the internal section.

This post smacked of spam to me, so not going to comment further on it.

LPTV still exists! whoop-di-doo
    Nobody, and I mean nobody, is watching it, and it doesn't make any money, so for all purposes it is effectively a dead system.
    Another red herring.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even converters can have some TBC properties, like a converter that converts composite to hdmi,
    If you have a capture box/device with hdmi input, you will have more succes that way, only a converter will give quality loss,
    So using a device like a DVD recorder with a hdmi or component output will give better results, and will be cheaper than buying a TBC,
    thus a visit to the local thrift store/shop for an old "video device" could be a better option, but first check-out online manuals before buying,
    because vcr's with build in dvd player will not be of any use.
    Quote Quote