VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was running through a list of anime that can't display subs (idx/sub) correctly. The subs are in a mkv container along with the audio and video. I wanted to edit the subtitles so I tried to open the file in SubtitleCreator, but it kept on crashing. I found out one of the pictures was corrupted even though I could display it fine with vobsub. I found this out in subresync. I opened up the file in subresync and saw that one of the pictures wasn't displaying at all. Even if I was able to save the file as .sst with all the bmp files, the one specific to the one that is corrupted doesn't show up at all. I tried converting the idx/sub file to sup and opening it up in DVDSubEdit, but it crashed too. I ended up just putting a # in the idx file where the corrupted picture is suppose to display. I saved it as idx/sub in subresync and now SubtitleCreator is able to open up the new idx/sub I created. I saved the file as .sup and opened it up in DVDSubEdit.

My problem is when the idx/sub file is in a mkv container it will only show the first subtitle and it will display through the whole movie. If the subs are outside of the mkv container, it will play fine. This is an issue with ffdshow which I don't mind. When I look at the subs in dvdsubedit it shows:
    Code:
    StreamID = 0x20
    LBA = 0
    V/CID = 0/0
    PTS = 1030989
    Duration = infinite
    TimeCode: 00:00:11,443 --> ?
    1. Is it normal for the duration to be "infinite"?
    2. Will a normal dvd player display it correctly?
    3. Is there a way to add/remove subtitles? I want to actually recreate the bmp file and place it back into the sub.
    4. How does vobsub know when to end a subtitle if ending of a sub is "infinite"?

That's it for now. Thanks in advance!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1. No:
    Code:
    StreamID = 0x20 
    LBA = 0 
    V/CID = 0/0 
    PTS = 11300289 
    Duration = 5.672s 
    TimeCode: 00:02:05,433 --> 00:02:11,105
    2. I doubt it.
    3. DVDSubEdit can save out and then add back after editing for a BMP already there. I don't know of any way to add in a new BMP or line of dialog to a SUP or IDX/SUB file. I don't see why you can't edit an SST to do that, though, if you can get one. However, with all the problems you're having, I think I'd just OCR the thing, add in the missing line of dialog, and then convert it to whatever you need for your MKV or DVD or whatever you want.
    4. There must be something in the SUB part that says how long it's to be displayed, something DVDSubEdit isn't picking up on here (since the file is corrupted). It must be the same reason that My problem is when the idx/sub file is in a mkv container it will only show the first subtitle and it will display through the whole movie.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I knew the end time was never suppose to be infinite and suspected that is why the subs didn't appear normal.

I figured out a way to add a sub. What I did was added a line in SubtitleCreator with whatever I wanted and saved it as idx/sub. It was just that simple.

As for why I didn't edit the sst file....I've never used or heard of sst files until now. However, I was never able to use the sst's at all. Even with MaestroSBT program. Either way, I'm not too worried about that. DVDSubEdit and SubtitleCreator detected the subs the same....both showing the subs were infinite. I'm just gonna edit the ending time so it matches the starting time of the next sub. At least I have some kind of reference to go on. I'm assuming that's how VobSub is doing it too. Thanks a lot manono. You cleared my questions nicely.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by mrcoolekin
    Thanks a lot manono. You cleared my questions nicely.
    You're welcome. And thanks to you as well, because I never knew you could add a line to a a VobSub using SubtitleCreator. Learn something new every day.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I authored the dvd with the subs that has an end time of "infinite". It actually plays just fine. Something I didn't know *shrugs*. So much to learn.
    Quote Quote