VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I will need to upgrade to a new computer for editing 4K. I will buy Edius 9 (Link), although I'm not familiar with configuration of a computer.

At my work I have the opportunity to buy a Dell Precision Tower (5000 series), see link for possible configuration LINK. My budget is about 2500$. I would be happy to get some help

Regards,
    Kes
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    8GB may be the minimum that Edius requires for 4K video editing, but you should plan on buying more RAM. A recent thread here indicated that 32 GB of RAM is not a waste of money for serious 4K editing using any advanced editing software.

If you hope to use GPU-based encoding, Edius requires the use of Intel Quick Sync. The Xeon processor in your configuration doesn't include Intel HD Graphics, which means that GPU-based encoding with Edius will not be possible. If you want the ability to do HEVC encoding with Quick Sync, a Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake Core i desktop processor is needed, but neither is compatible with the Dell's motherboard.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Feb 2018 at 14:52. Reason: clarity
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for reply. I will then look for Intel HD Graphics.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Should it be UHD graphics since I will edit 4K?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kes1978 View Post
    Should it be UHD graphics since I will edit 4K?
    GPU naming depends on whether you are buying a Kaby Lake processor or a Coffee Lake processor. For marketing purposes, Intel re-named "HD Graphics" as "UHD Graphics" starting with Coffee Lake, even though the GPUs are the same for both Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake processors. For example Coffee Lake's UHD Graphics 630 is the same GPU as Kaby Lake's HD Graphics 630.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote