VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know you can stabilize the screen, but I have a source that looks like its flashing brighter and darker rapidly every frame as its playing.

Video sample
    https://mega.nz/file/0ghHFKbT#Q6YJRwsPB9AT_S1DPLhd57AY_Ufzn_3_xKKXuWM9gY8

Are there any avisynth filters to level that out or help make it less obvious?
    Quote Quote  
  2. users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Upload sample to this forum,you can go to 500MB in size,nobody wants to go to mega for files.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Do I have to use denoising in those filters to get the result I am looking for? I would like to avoid having to smear stuff if possible.
    Quote Quote  
  5. afaik. those filters to not denoise
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think all the successful deflicker filters use some form of temporal pixel averaging. This is because different parts of the frame often flicker differently (as does your video).

A mild SMDegrain can help without damaging the picture too much:

Code:
    SMDegrain (tr=3, thSAD=500, refinemotion=true, contrasharp=false, PreFilter=4, mode=0, truemotion=true, plane=4, chroma=false)
    You might try following up with a grain restoration function.

Sample with SMDegrain added:
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 22nd Jan 2023 at 09:24.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I think you can fix that quite well, although the non-standard frame rate of animation might cause some problems.

First, you may only need to use Deflicker. I use this on film all the time. I have queued up my restoration before/after examples to a scene in which was "brightness stabilized" with just deflicker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBAHzO7rJS0&t=116s

In addition, there is a little-known effect of using the MVTools2 denoising which, with the correct parameter, can also remove a lot of noise. The only downside is that it makes MVTools2 run at about 1/4 it's normal speed. The "secret" is to use dct=1 in all MAnalyze calls. You use MAnalyze before the call to MDegrain. Since QTGMC uses MDegrain, you can look at the documentation for how to feed it dct=1 (it uses the default of dct=0), or you can go into the AVSI QTGMC code and change it directly.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 22nd Jan 2023 at 22:07. Reason: clarification
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I think all the successful deflicker filters use some form of temporal pixel averaging. This is because different parts of the frame often flicker differently (as does your video).

A mild SMDegrain can help without damaging the picture too much:

Code:
    SMDegrain (tr=3, thSAD=500, refinemotion=true, contrasharp=false, PreFilter=4, mode=0, truemotion=true, plane=4, chroma=false)
    You might try following up with a grain restoration function.

Sample with SMDegrain added:
    Wow that did a great job at helping with that brightness flickering. I can't even tell it was ever a problem.
    Quote Quote