VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an older computer that doesnt have a ton of ram and I dont really watch HD video on my pc. Im just wondering what the best choice would be. Ive tried VLC, MPC, and WMP and each are good for certain things it seems but like in MPC it wont let me turn off overlays and in WMP I cant play broken .avis and in VLC ive noticed the playback really bad for quicktime .mov files.
    Perhaps theres a less known alternative that I could use as my media player that would work better for me, would appreciate any suggestions =)

thanks !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like The KM Player, which plays most formats, is very flexible, and reasonable tolerant. However there is no single player that does all that you ask and does it all well.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    K yea thats what I figured... well suppose Ill try the KM Player and keep all of them around depending on what type of video im to play

thanks for the suggestion =)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use the KM Player for probably 98% of my playback needs. I use VLC only for the particularly difficult videos, however I find that the newer versions of VLC aren't are good with bad video as the older ones were.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I use MPCHC most of the time now. It's an update of the original MPC with many more built in file readers/splitters and decoders.

What did you mean by not being able to turn of overlays in MPC? Did you try the different options at View -> Options -> Playback -> Output? And why do you want to turn off video overlay? It's a feature that reduces CPU usage and gives you the ability to have video with different brightness, contrast, and color settings than the desktop (which is necessary for the view it correctly).
    Quote Quote  
  6. What are overlays?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried Zoomplayer? With the right codecs installed it will play back almost everything.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well I just wanted to turn overlays off to watch certain videos that with overlays on have white bars on the right side of the screen for some reason. I like MPC for the most part as far as performance but not really in love with the layout and interface of the program. In the past I was totally happy with the klite codec pack and WMP but after recently trying to play some avis that were 'broken' it seems WMP cant handle them like MPC or VLC can. I tried KM Player a long while ago and I think Ill try it again. I have a few .movs (quicktime) where the audio is out of sync with the video horribly with WMP and MPC and believe it or not its even worse with VLC, so guess Ill experiment a bit and when its all said and done I know Ill probably have to use multiple players just depending on the type of media im attempting to play. But thanks for the suggestions and Ill let you know of my experience with KM Player im going to give it a try again and see how it handles my video =)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Use MPCHC or KMPlayer and you won't have to install KLite with all its problems.

MPCHC filters: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic372844.html#2004047
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like players with internal codecs: that way there is a less chance for codec conflicts.
    I'm using VLC, KM Player, MPCHC and GOM Player (depends on a PC).
    MPC HC, because it doesn't need to be installed.
    VLC, because it may play what other can't.
    KM Player, because it does the normal playback with good controls.
    GOM Player, because it has the best UI and easy playback controls.
    I would normally use GOM Player, but it has some issues with MKV subtitiles, so these days the most playback goes to KM Player.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Last edited by eagletdw; 10th May 2015 at 13:31.
    Everything is Awesome!!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Do you think the original poster is still looking for a player -- six year later?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    eagletdw, please read our rules before posting.
    Splash Pro EX is payware and '(Check torrents for free downloads )' in reference to that software is promoting Warez, which is in violation of our rules.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Do you think the original poster is still looking for a player -- six year later?
    may be. Someone still have old PCs. This will be important for them.
    Everything is Awesome!!!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    eagletdw, please read our rules before posting.
    Splash Pro EX is payware and '(Check torrents for free downloads )' in reference to that software is promoting Warez, which is in violation of our rules.

Moderator redwudz
    I'm so sorry about that, i've edited it. Thanks.
    Everything is Awesome!!!
    Quote Quote  
  16. You dont say how old your computer is exactly, but I remember an old media player I used to use long ago around Windows 98 or so called Winamp. You can give that a try. It seems it was updated until 2013.

I don't think its strongest capability was video playback though, I mostly used it for music back then. The newer builds of it might be alot better than it was when I had it.
    Quote Quote