VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can someone please help me with some info on WinTV-PVR-250?

From the suggestions from this forum I have decided to buy a WinTV-PVR-250 capture card. Being in Australia (PAL TV) I would like to know if I can buy a card from overseas as in Australia they are about $450.

My question is

If I buy a WinTV-PVR-250 (model 981) from Germany which is also a (PAL) country will it work here in Australia?

Hoping someone can help with this
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you considered the freight and tax overhead for this? A friend has bought a fancy DVD Player from USA but importing this + courier costs made it a very expensive purchase.

Additionally, if the device breaks within the warranty period, what will you do? Ship it back to a different continent and try to catch up?
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Go to www.shspvr.com and hit the PVR MODEL link.
    Find out the exact model and revision number written on the card you're getting, then the specs at www.hauppauge.com should tell you.
    Here's some more hints:
    WinTV-PVR 250 Retail board 48xxx Rev1 It come with Composite to S-Video connector adapter.48xxx Rev2 It come with a REAL Composite input port.
    32xxx Rev3 It chip should be label Conexant CX23416.
    Hauppauge Freestyle OEM board48xxx Rev1
    It has no IR port.
    28xxx Rev2 It Dual chip design should be label Conexant CX23880/CX23416and has no IR port.
    32xxx Rev2 It chip should be label Conexant CX23416 and has no IR port.

It seems most of them will do PAL B and G. There's a few that only do PAL I. The card I have from the UK is PAL I.
    The B G models start with 34xxx, 37xxx, and 44xxx
    the I models start with 38xxx and 48xxx

Hopefully this gives you more to go on.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes go to Snapstream.com, your problems will be over.
    Quote Quote  
  5. What has snapstream got to do with a PVR-250 model number, and if it will work in a different country, on a (possibly) different TV system?
    IMHO, snapstream isn't worth the trial download...
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  6. OK time for an update.... Today I got my card which arrived from Germany... After an easy install I fired up my PC .. tuned in the channels .. tweaked a couple of settings and PRESTO!!

I can't believe how good the PVR 250 is... easily one of the best purchases I have made and under half the price (including postage) of what we get charged in Australia.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ain't it wonderful!
    Now get GB-PVR for it, and customize the hell out of the interface.
    Change the default capping bitrates (edit the "Medium" quality setting to whatever you want.
    Get free programming guides, TV scheduling/recording, and start filling up your hard drive!
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Lexicon
    Can someone please help me with some info on WinTV-PVR-250?

From the suggestions from this forum I have decided to buy a WinTV-PVR-250 capture card. Being in Australia (PAL TV) I would like to know if I can buy a card from overseas as in Australia they are about $450.

My question is

If I buy a WinTV-PVR-250 (model 981) from Germany which is also a (PAL) country will it work here in Australia?

Hoping someone can help with this
    I am in a similar position and bought a PVR-250 from the UK ebay site. So I was assured it was PAL. It works fine as a tuner and recording from the cable box composite video output but I also want to use it record NTSC video (not tuner, just NTSC video input). I can't seem to make it do that. When I setup a new input the choices for video standard are all the PAL ones plus SECAm - no NTSC. Yet if I setup a new tuner profile, it seems to be able to tune NTSC.

I also have a Win TV PCI card which has a PAL tuner in it (as well as a NICAM decoder) and while it won't tune NTSC you can feed NTSC into the s-video or composite inputs so I thought the PVR250 would also

Larry
    Quote Quote  
  9. Worked like a champ. Thanks a bunch

Larry
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ignore this post...
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote