VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried using DVDShrink several times and each time it takes around 3 - 4 hours to compress a DVD with only the main film and a dolby digital 5.1 soundtrack. Now, I have just installed Nero 6 and tried backing up Terminator 3 and it took around and hour or so. I am really paranoid that this backup will be inferior to the DVDShrink. What's anyone else's experience with Recode 2? Good or bad? Should I be worried?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With your setup it shouldn't even take even an hour with shrink. 45 minutes tops with deep analysis. Somethings clearly not right!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeh....thought something was amiss....

I think the DVd riping process is slower with Shrink than if i ripped with DVDDecrypter.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even if you ripped with shrink it still shouldn't take that long. I've only ripped with shrink once, then compressed the dvd and total it was maybe 2-3 minutes slower than if i ripped with dvd decrypter first.

The total time it takes me is usually less than 1 hour from ripping to compressing with deep analysis. Are you by any chance running other programs or something while shrink works? What version of shrink are you using?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe running a web browser in the backround but nothing major like Office etc...

What could be going wrong with my system then?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Some have said Recode and Shrink are the same program. They look very similar to me in operation. I noticed no large time differences between the programs.

LRD
    Quote Quote  
  7. From what I understand the person who made Shrink also made Recode 2. I heard he was not making any more improvements for Shrink in the transcoding area, but maybe making inprovements in compatiablity issues/bug fixes only. He's probably getting paid by Nero to do Recode 2, so I would only assume Recode 2 would be better, since he's still trying to improve it and getting paid for it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I often have shrink running with other programs as well, and a plain rip (no analysis) will take about 5 minutes. With analysis, it takes about 25 minutes. Something is up with your system.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Shrink does it for free. Is Nero Recode 2 free?

My experience: every backup with Shrink was less than 1 hour! Maybe this case is particular. I have no other idea...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From what i can tell your system is fine. A few questions that i have are...

1. Does every dvd you backup in shrink take 3-4 hours?

2. Have you tried dvd decrypter, then shrink? How long then?

3. Have you tried a different version of shrink?

4. Are you performing deep analysis on the dvd?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Geforce's questions are good ones. I would also ask when you last defragged your hard drive and what is your channel setup (HD versus Optical).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Check to see if u r in DMA mode, then also check with shrink to see what priority mode u r running in
    Live Life 2 The Fullest, Live The Life U Luv & Luv The Life U Live!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Geforce
    With your setup it shouldn't even take even an hour with shrink. 45 minutes tops with deep analysis. Somethings clearly not right!
    I've heard a writer will read slower than just a plain reader.

So I use my Toshiba SD-M1712 [$30 bucks Ebay] for reading and my Sony 500 for burning.

Plus my Toshiba SD-M1712 reads DVD-RAM from my Panasonic E50S

I use Nero Recode 2 mostly for commercial DVDs.

But for my home made 8 gig DVD projects I process them with InterVideo DVDCopy. Since they only have one audio track and no sub titles.

Nero Recode 2 seems to not like converting my 8 gig DVD projects because they are too big.
    Quote Quote  
  14. 3-4 hours to transcode with Shrink?!?!?!?!

DAMN... !

it only takes me about 20-25 min and thats with the deep analysis running from my hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  15. and Intervideo DVD Copy came out on top as far as speed AND quality on this review here
    http://dvd.box.sk/articles8.php
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by frugalbrutus
    and Intervideo DVD Copy came out on top as far as speed AND quality on this review here
    I tried this proggy on 2 movies Alias, and sex on the city movie only modes, the speed were great but it was artifacts throughout whole disc. Redid with Ic no problems, so screwwww that review. I'm referin to the Dvd copy 2 version.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jah_Rankin
    Originally Posted by frugalbrutus
    and Intervideo DVD Copy came out on top as far as speed AND quality on this review here
    I tried this proggy on 2 movies Alias, and sex on the city movie only modes, the speed were great but it was artifacts throughout whole disc. Redid with Ic no problems, so screwwww that review. I'm referin gto the Dvd copy 2 version.
    You must be in a hurry ... way too many abbreviations ... what is "Ic"
    Quote Quote  
  18. The back ups were crappy botom line. IC, Instant Copy
    Quote Quote  
  19. [quote="lacywest"]

But for my home made 8 gig DVD projects I process them with InterVideo DVDCopy. Since they only have one audio track and no sub titles.

Nero Recode 2 seems to not like converting my 8 gig DVD projects because they are too big.
    Lacywest

I have had the same experience. I find InterVideo DVD Copy is great and fast. You may still be able to pick up the 1.2 version at Sam's Club for $17. I know there is a newer version, but the original works just fine til the price drops.

LRD
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Jah_Rankin
    The back ups were crappy botom line. IC, Instant Copy
    I got arthritis the last time I used "[Not] Instant Copy". It takes less time to produce The Passion of The Christ.

LRD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From what i can tell your system is fine. A few questions that i have are...

1. Does every dvd you backup in shrink take 3-4 hours?
    More or less with Shrink

2. Have you tried dvd decrypter, then shrink? How long then?
    Will try that today....

3. Have you tried a different version of shrink?
    Every version released for the past 2 months.

4. Are you performing deep analysis on the dvd?
    Yep.

I recently did a fresh instal so my system should be tip top (I use Norton Systemworks 2002 for degragging). I run Deep Analysis on movie only, and in NORMAL priority mode if browsing the web, or maximum if leaving the PC alone.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I did a couple of 60% compressions and viewed them on my 17in monitor. I used latest Nero Recode 2, CloneDVD 2 (final), and Intervideo DVDCopy 2 Platinum (trial). I did two movies, Beautiful Mind and Phantom Menace. My subjective opinion is:

1. Intervideo DVDCopy 2 Platinum (trial)
    2. Nero Recode 2
    3. CloneDVD 2

I would concentrate on a couple of scenes in each movie and run them over and over. They are all somewhat in the same ballpark, but IV seem best to me with recode 2 kind of close and CloneDVD 2 a distant, but not too distant, 3rd. One thing, IV Plat. does one thing that the others doesn't do, it does this micro in and out of focus on certain objects in certain scenes. I don't know if it has to do with compression of certain frames or what. It was kind of odd, but its very subtle, but still it seem to be the most clearest and detailed.

Just my opinion. For Joe 6-pack who isn't going to dissect quality and uses a standard TV and wants ease of use and speed and an a easy to understand application, I'd probably recommend CloneDVD 2. Also I have yet to see any "blocks" or apparent artifacts in any of the transcoded movies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    skinfreak wrote:
    I recently did a fresh instal so my system should be tip top (I use Norton Systemworks 2002 for degragging). I run Deep Analysis on movie only, and in NORMAL priority mode if browsing the web, or maximum if leaving the PC alone.
    Did you check to see if your drive is DMA enabled? Your drive could be in PIO mode which could be why using dvd shrink is taking so long to process. Deep analysis will take longer to do. I use DVD SHRINK 3.0 beta. I haven't used any of the newer DVD SHRINK programs because I believe if it ain't broke why fix it.
    Here is a site that has all the versions for DVD SHRINK.
    http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/dvdshrinkold/

The guy who created DVD SHRINK does indeed work for AHEAD NERO.
    Quote Quote