VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by budz View Post
    ^^^If you're burning dvd discs with that Liteon drive that's posted in your profile that could be the culprit. I've never trusted LITEON drives for burning dvd media. I only use LITEON's for ripping purposes. Just my 2 freaking cents!
    Yes, my profile is correct, and I'm currently using LG DVD-RAM GH22NP20 and Lite-On ATAPI iHAP322_9 burners. I've always had LG and Lite-on models and this is my 3rd-4th generation of same. I usually buy the latest models every year or so. I found that the LG models were better than Lite-on for burning DL discs in former generations, but in this last generation, the iHAP322_9 is best. It is also best for single layer discs, so I'm using it exclusively for all my burning currently. I justify keeping the LG (although I'm not enamored with it) because it's a faster ripper (after the MCSE rip-lock patch) and also a better reader of marginal/damaged discs. The LG models have always been more reliable readers of difficult discs than Lite-on in recent generations of these drives. I've toyed with the idea of trying out a new brand of burner but haven't yet. If you know of a good cheap IDE model available, I might try it...as a replacement for the LG. I'll definitely keep the Lite-on so I can quality scan my burns, although some of the prior generation models were better for that purpose.

Search Comp PM
    At the moment the only dvd burner I can recommend is the SONY OPTIARC but it's SATA. I'm getting ready to place a huge order at Newegg for a new build which includes the SONY OPTIARC drive. IDE dvd burners are becoming obsolete right now. Most of my IDE burners are BENQ's & PIONEER but both those manufacturers no longer make their own optical drives. They're outsourced to LITEON or SAMSUNG. You could buy a IDE SAMSUNG dvd burner. I think eventually there won't be IDE burners in the near future. IMHO the LG drives burn better than LITEON. I've used LG drives from the H62L & up models. Unfortunately instead of LG refining their firmwares they kept releasing newer drives. That was one of the reasons why I didn't like LG.

SONY OPTIARC SATA:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030

SAMSUNG IDE:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151175

The motherboards that I use now only have one IDE port so I use whatever IDE dvd burners I have that are stacked up on a shelf.
    I have tons of BENQ & PIONEER IDE drives to choose from.

3. Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    Originally Posted by bbanderic View Post
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    Buying and using Verbatim DL's is a crap shoot now. Maybe you'll get lucky, but probably less so as time goes on, if they continue to decline in quality at the same rate as the last 2 years. Folks would be well-advised to switch to a different data backup method such as multi-TB external hard drives.
    If I remember correctly, you have issues with Verbatim SL media as well..not reliable "batch to batch" as you say. Since you rely so heavily on worthless disc scans to form your opinions, I think maybe you should heed your own advice and go the external hard drive route, save yourself a lot of time and grief. No one on this site has had as many problems with DL/SL optical media as you, not even close, clearly something is wrong with your process.

Personally, I've never had any issues whatsoever with Verbatim DL media and I've burned a lot of them. Verbatim DL+ImgBurn+quality DVD/Blu-ray player = flawless perfection.

Nothing wrong with the external hard drive option though, I have everything backed up to both optical disc AND external hard drive as I would never trust anything backed up on hard drive alone. The hard drive option is appealing as a space saving option and also, media players are the future IMO.
    You don't remember correctly... I've only bought one spindle of 100 Verbatim DVD-R single layer and they are excellent, better than the Taiyo Yuden that I always used before. I've had some batches of TY that were of lower quality.

Disc scans with appropriate software are not worthless, and there is nothing wrong with my burning processes. I use Imgburn too. You are mis-stating or mis-understanding the facts. I have not claimed massive burn failures with any of these discs. It's a matter of relative quality of different batches of the various discs, and clearly Verbatim DL is on the decline. I expect we'll see the difference more dramatically soon as their quality control implodes completely.

P.S. I continue to test and just bought a spindle of Verbatim DL from newegg. They're the worst yet with quality scores at or near zero(0). Yes, they burn and verify but it's a miracle. I certainly won't put anything important on them.
    I think I do remember correctly:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/314030-What-Media-should-I-use

Your Verbatim DVD-R 16x MCC03RG20 discs are probably fine but Verbatim is no longer reliable batch to batch. It's like shooting craps. So suggest you familiarize yourself with Nero DVD/CDSpeed and quality-scan discs burnt at different speeds. That's the only way to know for sure whether you have a good batch of discs.

4. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Buying and using Verbatim DL's is a crap shoot now. Maybe you'll get lucky, but probably less so as time goes on, if they continue to decline in quality at the same rate as the last 2 years. Folks would be well-advised to switch to a different data backup method such as multi-TB external hard drives.
    If I remember correctly, you have issues with Verbatim SL media as well..not reliable "batch to batch" as you say. Since you rely so heavily on worthless disc scans to form your opinions, I think maybe you should heed your own advice and go the external hard drive route, save yourself a lot of time and grief. No one on this site has had as many problems with DL/SL optical media as you, not even close, clearly something is wrong with your process.

Personally, I've never had any issues whatsoever with Verbatim DL media and I've burned a lot of them. Verbatim DL+ImgBurn+quality DVD/Blu-ray player = flawless perfection.

Nothing wrong with the external hard drive option though, I have everything backed up to both optical disc AND external hard drive as I would never trust anything backed up on hard drive alone. The hard drive option is appealing as a space saving option and also, media players are the future IMO.
    You don't remember correctly... I've only bought one spindle of 100 Verbatim DVD-R single layer and they are excellent, better than the Taiyo Yuden that I always used before. I've had some batches of TY that were of lower quality.

Disc scans with appropriate software are not worthless, and there is nothing wrong with my burning processes. I use Imgburn too. You are mis-stating or mis-understanding the facts. I have not claimed massive burn failures with any of these discs. It's a matter of relative quality of different batches of the various discs, and clearly Verbatim DL is on the decline. I expect we'll see the difference more dramatically soon as their quality control implodes completely.

P.S. I continue to test and just bought a spindle of Verbatim DL from newegg. They're the worst yet with quality scores at or near zero(0). Yes, they burn and verify but it's a miracle. I certainly won't put anything important on them.

Your Verbatim DVD-R 16x MCC03RG20 discs are probably fine but Verbatim is no longer reliable batch to batch. It's like shooting craps. So suggest you familiarize yourself with Nero DVD/CDSpeed and quality-scan discs burnt at different speeds. That's the only way to know for sure whether you have a good batch of discs.
    Nope, you're not reading it right, or don't understand. Nowhere (not in your link above, nor elsewhere) did I say that I ever had any problems with Verbatim single layer discs. I couldn't have said it, because it isn't true, and I always tell the truth!

5. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    At the moment the only dvd burner I can recommend is the SONY OPTIARC but it's SATA. I'm getting ready to place a huge order at Newegg for a new build which includes the SONY OPTIARC drive. IDE dvd burners are becoming obsolete right now. Most of my IDE burners are BENQ's & PIONEER but both those manufacturers no longer make their own optical drives. They're outsourced to LITEON or SAMSUNG. You could buy a IDE SAMSUNG dvd burner. I think eventually there won't be IDE burners in the near future. IMHO the LG drives burn better than LITEON. I've used LG drives from the H62L & up models. Unfortunately instead of LG refining their firmwares they kept releasing newer drives. That was one of the reasons why I didn't like LG.

SONY OPTIARC SATA:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030

SAMSUNG IDE:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151175

The motherboards that I use now only have one IDE port so I use whatever IDE dvd burners I have that are stacked up on a shelf.
    I have tons of BENQ & PIONEER IDE drives to choose from.
    I suppose I'll get a new computer someday but still have an old IDE model. I'm accepting your suggestion and will order a Samsung S222A or S222L, never had a lightscribe before so might be fun to experiment. Incidentally you might want to check prices at ChiefValue.com (a newegg company) which is cheaper than newegg itself for these models. They're also sold on eBay at rock bottom.

6. Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post

Nope, you're not reading it right, or don't understand. Nowhere (not in your link above, nor elsewhere) did I say that I ever had any problems with Verbatim single layer discs. I couldn't have said it, because it isn't true, and I always tell the truth!
    So you stating that Verbatim DVD-R 16x are no longer reliable batch to batch, like shooting craps, doesn't imply that you've had problems with them? Come on. If not, then what is your conclusion based on?

7. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I never said anything like that. Apparently you don't understand English.

Search Comp PM
    then what is your conclusion based on?
    It appears to be based on poppycock and horsefeathers, as best I can tell.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

9. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    nonsense from the lord of misinformation...

Search Comp PM
    I was custom editing drive firmware before you'd even burned your first disc.
    Your use of LG and LiteOn is one reason why you seem to have issues. It's really that easy.

Search Comp PM
    I know that if I had reputedly 100 bad burns on any media, I would give pause and examine why. Especially $1 and up per disc DL media! I've used DL Verbatims without issue, and only bad burns caused by me. Of course, I've also burned some cheap Playo DLs that work fine as well - and they were only 70 cents each. Now: That said, have I checked the Playos for data integrity - not yet, but I think I will.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"

Search Comp PM
    Most of my IDE burners are BENQ's & PIONEER but both those manufacturers no longer make their own optical drives. They're outsourced to LITEON or SAMSUNG.
    Not true for Pioneer at least. I emailed them last week about this and they still make ALL of their own drives.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields

13. Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    You going to deny making this statement?:

Your quote, taken from this link, 6th comment down:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...a-should-I-use

Your credibility is shot anyways JohnnyBob, so I guess it really doesn't matter whether you want to fess up to the truth. Basically your belief is that both Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden media is a crapshoot, media that the VAST majority of people here swear by as being the very best. Your opinion is pretty much based solely on unreliable quality scans...that's comical.

14. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    You going to deny making this statement?:

Your quote, taken from this link, 6th comment down:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...a-should-I-use

Your credibility is shot anyways JohnnyBob, so I guess it really doesn't matter whether you want to fess up to the truth. Basically your belief is that both Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden media is a crapshoot, media that the VAST majority of people here swear by as being the very best. Your opinion is pretty much based solely on unreliable quality scans...that's comical.
    You and lord idiot can kiss my ass.

drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lawbringer View Post
    Just my $.02: having burned over 100 Verbatim DL discs, I have only had ONE coaster that wasn't caused by human (namely, mine) error.
    My total Verb DL "burnage" is probably at least double that -- and ditto.

Further, I'm often a magnet for tech trouble: if something is not right with a piece of gear or software (most likely a setup or usage issue for the latter), there is an excellent chance I will trip over it. If there is no problem, that also tells me something.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 15th Feb 2010 at 14:03.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ricoman View Post
    Most of my IDE burners are BENQ's & PIONEER but both those manufacturers no longer make their own optical drives. They're outsourced to LITEON or SAMSUNG.
    Not true for Pioneer at least. I emailed them last week about this and they still make ALL of their own drives.
    I could have sworn reading about PIONEER outsourcing their optical drives to LITEON. If I can find the link for it I'll post it. I don't trust Pioneer USA since I had problems with them last year after purchasing a dvd burner from them. As far as I know their staff there are a bunch of idiots and don't even know their own product line.

From the PIONEER 218 series they use MEDIATEK chipset instead of NEC chipset. LITEON uses the MEDIATEK chipset for their optical drives.
    I messaged C0deKing at myce.com to verify the information for me. Stay tuned!

Even if PIONEER still manufactured their own drives I wouldn't buy them because of the MEDIATEK chipset. I'm not fond of LITEON drives which is why I only use them for ripping dvd discs. I use my other drives to burn dvd media.

drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    I could have sworn reading about PIONEER outsourcing their optical drives to LITEON. If I can find the link for it I'll post it.
    According to a number of posts in other threads, Pioneer was pretty much circling the wagons, and getting out of mfr. of a lot of things -- plasma TVs being just the first and most publicized category. There was some question as to whether the company itself would survive. If correct, that is sad, as they were long considered a source of premium grade gear.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.

Search Comp PM
    From what I've read, Pioneer switched chipsets in the "latest" model (almost a year old at this point). LiteOn uses (or has used) the same chipset. The drives have been performing similar according to user reports, which lead to rumors that it was a rebadge. I never bothered to follow up on it, too busy with other things.

For DL burning, it's hard to beat a classic Pioneer drive (111-116). Samsung is okay on DL, but burns slower than Pioneer.

Search Comp PM
    ks....I just heard from a reliable source over at myce.com that Pioneer does indeed still manufacture their own drives but they use MEDIATEK chipsets now which is crappy in my opinion. Dunno why they decided to use that chipset. You might as well buy a LITEON drive which uses the same chipset.

So I stand to correct myself by saying Pioneer still makes their drives but until they change back to the NEC chipsets I'm not buying their dvd burners.

20. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This thread has gotten a long ways off topic. Closed.