VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have just moved from Win XP to Win 10 with a new PC. I have used Pinnacle Studio 8 and more recently 15 on the old PC. I have loaded Pinnacle 15 onto the new PC and also installed Nero Standard 2018.
    My previously created DVDs (family videos mostly) are stored in 2 folders. In one of these (My DVDs) the files appear in a folder VIDEO_TS and I can still use these to burn further copies of the DVDs. That's fine.
    However in the other folder (called My Old DVDs - and I can't remember why I chose that name, though they are older ones) the files appear in 2 folders - one called Jacket_P (about 100Kb in size) and the other called Sources (several Gb) - and a Windows Media Player file of around 3Mb). However I cannot find a way of using these files to burn a usable DVD. I have burnt a DVD but all I get is a list of the files and nothing else.
    I shall be grateful for any advice as to what (if anything) I can do to gain access and create further DVD copies. (My grandchildren have worn out some of the previous ones and would like replacements!!!).
    Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just add the VIDEO_TS folder to ImgBurn, it will recognize it for what it is and burn it as DVD Video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you but it is not the VIDEO_TS folders which are a problem. As I say I can use them perfectly satisfactorily. It is the Jacket_P and Sources ones which are the problem. Is there any way I can get a series of VideoTS files from these?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The jacket_p folder is absolutely unnecessary. Your original source material is not contained inside the jacket_p folder.
    Maybe I'm not completely understanding what you want or expect from the jacket_p folder?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I don't necessarily want anything from the Jacket_P folder. I just want to know why, having created a DVD from my original video, I can't burn a disc because in this particular collection of videos (in "My Old DVDs") there are no VIDEO_TS files - just "Jacket_P" and "Sources". Are they likely to be hidden away somewhere that I haven't looked? They were all created several years ago, (possibly when I was still using Studio 8) but when I changed my PC all my files were transferred over to the new one, so I would have thought that they ought to be there somewhere.
    The more recent creations (in "My DVDs") are all fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think you are thinking of Studio 8's *project files....maybe?
    Programs often keep duplicates of your source files, thinking you may later want to add to or alter the original project/DVD.
    Those are usually *project files....not jacket_p files/folders.
    Try a google search for Studio 8 project files to see if it does keep complete source material somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well assuming that it was Pinnacle Studio that created the 'sources' folder, try loading the files in to that program. It may be possible to re-create your Video_ts folder from that. And if your folder structure is the same as before it should link back to any video on your system if required.

Otherwise since you still have the original dvd disks just copy the video_ts folder to your HDD and burn a new disk. But use imgburn not Nero to do this.
    Quote Quote  
  8. If a folder by whatever name contains IFO, BUP, and VOB files, then it's a DVD. So, just rename that folder as a VIDEO_TS and burn it to disc as explained by hech54.

If that folder by whatever name doesn't contain IFO, BUP, and VOB files then it's not a DVD and can't be burned as a DVD. It can be burned as a data disc, but not as a DVD playable in a standalone DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    The jacket_p folder is absolutely unnecessary. Your original source material is not contained inside the jacket_p folder...
    Originally Posted by dibby39 View Post
    ...one called Jacket_P (about 100Kb in size) and the other called Sources (several Gb) - and a Windows Media Player file of around 3Mb). However I cannot find a way of using these files to burn a usable DVD...
    Some authoring programs create a jacket_p folder. Still pictures of a specific resolution (of your choice and some MPEG-2(!) encoding scheme) are placed here. DVD players and s/w player apps which recognize these pictures will display them while disc is inserted but stopped; useful in the days of 5-disc DVD changers where these thumbnails will be displayed onscreen for you to choose which DVD to play. That said, a properly-authored DVD will play just fine without this folder.
    Some authoring programs (which do their own encoding and re-encoding) will make a folder labeled "source" which contains the DVD-compliant MPEG-2 files (typically *.m2v and *.ac3, that were created from, say, your source DV-AVI files) and used to make the contents of the final video_ts folder. During those days of lesser CPU power and long time stretches of encoding to MPEG-2, these files were preserved so that in case you made minor tweaks to your DVD, with luck, no major re-encoding was needed and they will be used as is. They of course will occupy GBs of disk space; if you truly believe you will NOT re-author the particular DVD you can delete them.
    Lastly, years back when s/w MPEG-2 was not a given on some PCs, some authoring programs include a player app (like WMP) that had MPEG-2 decoding capabilities in the DVD root with an autorun.inf so you can play away without worry.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Jacket_P former Vhelp links:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/95122-How-to-make-a-Jacket-picture-for-DVD
    and
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/175984-How-to-Make-JACKET_P-Pictures
    But that is, IMO, a red herring with getting these to burn, as they are always optional.

My guess is, you no longer have burn-ready VIDEO_TS files or folders for those "old" dvds, but you should be able to do what was mentioned and load up your "sources" as sources into your authoring app(s) and recreate the experience (maybe not exactly with the navigation, but should be close enough).
    Save & create output with those and then burn.

This sounds like you trashed the original outputs in favor of saving the sources which were (hopefully) more highly compressed and so saving space.
    In doing these kinds of archiving, it is best to save the high-quality originals, save the "session" info, and if it takes longer than an hour or so (you pick time) to re-create the session's output, then save those too. That way, it's all recoverable but there's no duplication of assets.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Eltina View Post
    Is ImgBurn too old to use? I see there is no updates since 2013.
    ImgBurn has always been very trustworthy.
    I still use Prassi Ones.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Eltina View Post
    Is ImgBurn too old to use? I see there is no updates since 2013.
    As Hech54 states, imgburn is very reliable and still works. I well remember buying an older version of Nero and had to wait many months for it to support my burner. Ended up buying another program. Now I only use imgburn.

The only thing you have to watch is during the installation as it prompt you to install other software (Adware). Just be sure you read the screens carefully and none of this will be installed. Can not blame the author of this as everyone is entitled to a little reward for his sterling efforts in writing this.
    Quote Quote