VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With all due respect, and at the risk of incuring the wrath of the video purist, why not a forum about Gamming? I am betting that there are many here well educated on the topic that could contribute and or moderate a page.

I am not a big time gammer myself, but I have noticed that the subject seems borderline taboo around here. I suspect that a good portion of the subject may skirt on the edge of the law and that keeping a safe distance may be the best course, but wouldn't a page that provides links to other sites and such be an extension of our services?

Just kicking an Idea around.
    Maybe a Poll suggestion.
    Maybe a bad idea.
    Just curious.
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would be willing to read some of it, but I don't know enough about the subject to contribute anything of use. (Like thats ever stopped me before)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. There are many other sites dedicated to gaming.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't know anything about it, either.

I think Mats is probably right - this is a video site, and we don't need the extra load of becoming an all-round backup site. Aside from anything else, it'd probably mean a load of extra warez to deal with. Games are a lot more expensive than films, so people are probably more likely to be trying to make illicit copies.

Let's wait and see what others say. I'd be willing, if it's what people would like and if Baldrick wants it, to keep an eye on it. I don't know anything about the subject, but I would try to keep it sane at least!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That was good Zapper.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Personally, I don't think there needs to be yet another gaming site and I have no interest in it. Having said that, if there's enough interest in adding a gaming forum to VideoHelp.com website then I don't have an objection, but I would prefer if it were like "Off Topic" so that it's login only and doesn't appear in the "latest posts" section of the front page. Otherwise I think it will confuse people looking for video help.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No way. Leave video games somewhere else. Go start VideoGameHelp.com or something.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't recommend it, but wouldn't mind either. There are alot of popular game sites out there if you want to backup your games. Afterdawn.com is one of them
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't mind a game forum here. Though off topic is usually good enough for that stuff - but not much comes up on games anyway. Except for the big releases like doom or half life and the like.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There are already plenty of game forums. There would be no need to add one here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, here is my argument: (as lame as it may be)

First, I associated it to this site because of the Disk backup aspect of it all. (From what little I know of it, that may not be as straight forward as would seem. Apparently there are hardware modifications needed that would seem to go above and beyond what is normally discussed here) At any rate I put two and two together and thought that this may be the place to get answers about disk back ups. Which leads me to the next point.

Apparently a few others have asked questions about game disk back ups and received varying results. I don't actually recall any of the replies, but I seem to think that not all of them were all that kind. Not that I am total goody two shoe, and I know that sometimes the tone of written text can be mistaken, but still, a kinder responce could go along way. Which brings me to the next thought.

Even if a "Games" forum is not in the future (And I understand that this can't be a one stop shop for everything from CDs to Engine rebuilding) How about a sticky that could include some member suggested links to sites or sites that pay for the advertising link. I would think that there are members that that belong to other forums that would like to get a "plug" in for them or other sites that might be grateful for a link from here.

While I seem to be the one to bring it up, A "Games" forum isn't really a high priority need for me. I seem to have hit the brick wall on what I was hoping for anyways. But I kind of thought that it could help others in their quest.

Cliff notes comming this fall.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Disc backups usually relates to video here. In any case, the resulting topics are less than 1% of what's discussed here. So you are proposing to add a forum that currently is only discussed less than 1% of the time of which the game backups are discussed even less? I don't really see the point of a forum that would have less than 1% discussion.

Backups are only a very minute topic here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    and they usually get squashed because the poster starts like this:

"I just downloaded a ripped dvd from warezmoviedownloads.com...how do I back it up to dvd"

or

"I need help backing this up quick! The video store only lets me check it out for 3 days!"
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My personal favorite is I have to backup every movie I "own" because I have pets or young kids.

I always wonder if they back up their liquor cabinet or have chemical cleaners in their house backed up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    I always wonder if they back up their liquor cabinet
    Sure. Sounds good to me! Who wants some moonshine!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some good links to column and reflux still sites

I'll save them for the booze forum
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by ROF
    I always wanted a P2P cabinet.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by ROF
    I always wanted a P2P cabinet.

You know, the kick in the pants there, is that I actually have travled around installing game display cases and reworking the reset features. Just so the customers could play the games and be able to reset them without actually touching the console itself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We get enough OT riff-raff around here without opening up a forum that will invite them.

AKA, "Go ahead and flame me, you jerks! You all know that you rent/borrow DVDs and copy them! That's what this site is all about!" As it has been said, game backups rely on a lot more "grey area" than video backup (ie. you can't simply rip and play without hardware mods "or such").
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    We get enough OT riff-raff around here without opening up a forum that will invite them.

AKA, "Go ahead and flame me, you jerks! You all know that you rent/borrow DVDs and copy them! That's what this site is all about!" As it has been said, game backups rely on a lot more "grey area" than video backup (ie. you can't simply rip and play without hardware mods "or such").
    Smiley when you say that
    Quote Quote  
  21. How about a sticky that could include some member suggested links to sites or sites that pay for the advertising link. I would think that there are members that that belong to other forums that would like to get a "plug" in for them or other sites that might be grateful for a link from here.
    Interesting idea. It would not hurt to run a trial sticky but the links would have to be to non-commercial sites unless Baldrick gave his ok.

If there is enough interest I'm happy to put up a sticky.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We have had game discussions in offtopic plent of times in the past. I don't really see a reason for an entirely different forum personally.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As has been said, there are Game sites a plenty out in WWW Land.....This site is popular and Special cause it remains focused on one area, i.e. anything related to Video/movie/film/audio/sounds topics...Take away the focus and then you take away it's forte' or uniqeness..I belong to a couple of Video forums, a couple of Hi-def forums, a Game forum and others and each one fills my needs with it's own...How should I say.."Atmosphere"..This site has an "Atmosphere" or "branding" which if distilled with a variety of off topics would diminish the purpose and design of what it's supposed to be... VideoHelp.com.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll agree, too - that this is probably better left to a more videogame-oriented site, and that the issue of game copying would probably be a lot more trouble than it's worth for this site, IMHO.

There are a couple of 'more relevant' questions that could be asked about video games, though, such as:

- How do I watch, or convert the Cinepak/TrueMotion movies on my Saturn games to AVI?

- How do I play/convert the XA audio from my Playstation games to MP3?

I'd imagine questions like that could potentially become buried elsewhere in the forum, but I don't know that there's more of a chance for them to be answered if VideoHelp had a Gaming forum.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  25. I vote for a booze forum.
    This weeks poll:
    What Is Your Favorite Brew?
    1.Ale
    2.Beer
    3.Stout
    4.Malt Liquor
    5.TG POrter
    :P
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whoa, tuff crowd.

OK I surrender.

As long as the topic is allowed and is moved to off topic I quess that it is fine with me. As long as they aren't post like "How do I copy my buddies games to sell at the flea market" and such.
    Quote Quote