VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm wondering if someone can take a look at this. It's a query generated by Handbrake.
    Just wondering if I can tweak it to some thing better? Normally I use Xvid in an avi wrapper, but I'm switching over to H.264 in a MKV. I don't have much experience with H.264. It will be played on a 42" plasma via a WDTV player. I forgot to add, I'm looking for best results, aka least blocking and artifacts, as long as it's less than the original mpeg2 size.

-i "C:\DVD Rip\TEST_DVD\VIDEO_TS" -t 1 -c 1-29 -o "D:\Movies\TEST_DVD no cropping.mkv" -f mkv --crop 0:0:0:0 -p -e x264 -q 0.65 -a 1 -E ac3 -B 160 -R 0 -6 dpl2 -D 1 --markers="C:\Temp\VIDEO_TS-1-chapters.csv" -x ref=3:mixed-refs=1:merange=24:no-dct-decimate=1 -C 4 -v

Here's a screenshot of the advanced settings

tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would add/change (all aimed to increase quality with the expense of time needed to encode):
    B-Frames: 6
    Motion Estimation Method: Uneven Multi-Hexagon
    Subpixel Motion Estimation: 9
    8x8 DCT: check
    Trellis: 1
    No Fast P-Skip: Check
    Quote Quote  
  3. Why add B-Frames?

Yeah, I'm not worried about encode time. I usually add 3 or 4 to the que and then let it go

Would it be better to crop the non-movie areas or leave it as is? I noticed if I crop, it'll use a little less bitrate, and resulting file is a little smaller.
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    B-frames can use both previous and forward frames for data reference. This will achieve better data compression (smaller file size).

If I use crop (especially with autocrop), then my videos do not end up with the "standard" resolution, say 720x400. Then again, the encoder doesn't have to process the "useless" black borders.
    Quote Quote