VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14
FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All I want to do is just be able to copy soaps for my wife on a old Zenith, not stereo, & of course be able to watch another channel while doing this.
    So at this point I thinking that all I have to do is have the tv cable in to DVDR04 & another out to TV. Just like I do now with my old Zenith VCR.
    Does this sound correct......
    Quote Quote  
  2. hudsonf & NightWing: go to page 7 of the ilo manual, it clearly states under number 1(refering to the VHS\UHF In/Out Jacks), "Note: DVD signals don't go through here. Make proper connections." This means to me that the co-ax output is only a pass thru of the co-ax input. NightWing's advice about using a co-ax TV splitter is correct though, that way you can view your cable TV on the TV, and on a different channel than the Ilo is set to for recording another channel\show. This holds true only if you don't have a cable box that is used to tune in the channels.
    Quote Quote  
  3. geno52. I did not see your last post. You will still need a RF modulator in order to watch a ilo recorded DVD. As I see it the ilo will not output a DVD you want to playback without running the co-ax through a RF modulator, then using the modulators co-ax output, run that to your TV. You should then be able to be watching another program while the ilo's tuner is set to another channel and recording. When you want to watch a DVD tune to channel 3 or 4, and your in business. I have to correct myself about getting a splitter, it would not be needed. Thats why they put the co-ax output on the ilo for just this purpose, to pass thru a input signal so you could watch one channel while recording another, but you still need a RF modulator to watch a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. geno52, I'm back again, I forgot to mention you will also need to connect the RCA cable (With red, and white for audio, & a yellow plug for video) from the ilo's outputs to the RF modulators RCA inputs, this way it can modulate the line out signal to channel 3 or 4 (on the TV) when you want to watch a DVD. You will also be using a co-ax output cable on the modulator to the TV. There may be a switch on the modulator to select the co-ax, or the RCA inputs, or it may be automatic. You will also have the co-ax cable connected from the ilo's co-ax output to the modulator's co-ax input, this is so you can watch one channel on your TV while recording another with ilo. You mentioned that you wanted to hook it up like you did your VCR. You cannot do this because VCR's have built in RF modulators, and DVD recorders, and DVD players do not. Good luck getting this to work, hope we all have not confused you to the point of no return.
    Quote Quote  
  5. has anyone noticed that the r04 won't display subtitles despite the fact that they appear as a menu selection? This occurs with dvd's right out of the envelope from netflix. In other words, everything LOOKS like it's working except that when one returns to the movie there are NO subtitles no matter how many times you try.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I think we are getting close here,, So if I use the drawing that NIGHTWING had a few posts earlier-without the spliter,, all should work
    fine.... the old tv is not a stereo-so what do I need for the RF Modulator.
    ??????????? Also: after reading the 14 pages of posts, Im more confused than ever,,,, what kind of DVD discs do I need to purchase,,, I want to use the same one over and over from my wifes soaps... So RW's ?????
    Also, im not sure but did I read a post somewhere about- U cant record certain tv movies for some reason ?????????? I was hoping to be able to record anything that was on TV...... Sorry for so many questions, but being a novice at this, I want to know all I can before purchasing.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Guitarman, does HD04 hacks at your site works? Because I tried to flash mine and the 3hrs doesn't comes up in the menu.... :|

Does any one's HD04 works with the hacks?
    Quote Quote  
  8. tungbh,

The hack for the HD04 is for ONLY disabling Macrovision and setting region free. There is no 3-hour hack as of yet.
    Guitarman
    ILO DVDR04/HD04 Firmware Download Page

ILO DVDRHD04
    Pioneer DVR-420H-S
    Magnavox MOXI DVR
    Quote Quote  
  9. Maybe I have overlooked this, but is there a way to make the Ilo write a standard DVD-Video disk instead of a DVD+VR disk? The disks I've created are DVD+VR disks and they can not be opened with DVD SHrink.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by donkey_puncher
    Maybe I have overlooked this, but is there a way to make the Ilo write a standard DVD-Video disk instead of a DVD+VR disk? The disks I've created are DVD+VR disks and they can not be opened with DVD Shrink.
    First question, why DVD Shrink since the disc's contents is already capable of fitting on a standard DVD?? Why not use DVD Decrypter?

Anyway, simple answer, no. DVD+VR is the standard for DVD recorders since it allows you to record multiple sessions or programs to the disc and also allows you to take that disc to a computer and edit it (menus, chapters, etc.) before finalizing it.

DVD Shrink will open a DVD+VR disc. If it is a DVD+R, you will need to finalize it first. If it is a DVD+RW, you don't have to finalize.

As I am writing this I tested a DVD+RW I made with the ILO HD04 with DVD Shrink and it read it just fine. I would say make sure, if it's a DVD+R, to finalize it and try again.
    Guitarman

ILO DVDRHD04
    Pioneer DVR-420H-S
    Magnavox MOXI DVR
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've tried DVD Decrypter and it will let me rip the disk to hard drive, but when I burn the disk again in Nero it's still the same DVD+VR format. I want it to be DVD-Video. My Panasonic DVD player seems to not like the DVD+VR format very well.

Also, what software can you use to edit the disk before finalizing it? I'd rather use DVD+R disks instead of DVD+RW because they also can be a problem with my Panny.

As for the editting of the menus and such, I really don't care about that. I'd rather have the option of having the original recording in DVD-video. I think there are other DVD Recorders that will allow you to select DVD-Video or DVD+VR.
    Quote Quote  
  12. donkey_puncher,

You are right. There are ones that will let you set the format before starting a disc.

What mode are you using DVD Decrypter in?? ISO mode will give you an exact duplicate, which you don't want. Use file mode to rip the disc and then, in Nero, use the "Write DVD Video Files" option to burn them back to a DVD+R.

On the VR disc, you will see a VIDEO_TS and a VIDEO_RM directory. You really only need the VIDEO_TS folder and since the disc is not encrypted, you could just copy the VIDEO_TS folder to your hard drive, not using DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink, and use Nero "Write DVD Video Files" to burn them back to a disc. That might be easier.

Ulead's DVD Movie Factory 3 is one app that will edit DVD+VR discs. It's pretty cool.

Just as reference for those who don't know:
    DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-RAM are all DVD disc types.
    DVD-VIDEO, DVD-VR are DVD file system formats.

A lot of people get that confused.
    Guitarman

ILO DVDRHD04
    Pioneer DVR-420H-S
    Magnavox MOXI DVR
    Quote Quote  
  13. Cool. Sounds like copying the Video_TS folder over the hard drive and then burning with Nero would be the easiest way. I'll try that. Maybe I'll try decrypter as well. When you say file mode do you mean IFO?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by donkey_puncher
    Cool. Sounds like copying the Video_TS folder over the hard drive and then burning with Nero would be the easiest way. I'll try that. Maybe I'll try decrypter as well. When you say file mode do you mean IFO?
    Anybody, correct me if I'm wrong. Just open DVDDecrypter and select "File mode"(NOT IFO)...after you have the files on the hard-drive, open the folder and delete just the VIDEO_VR directory and then burn the remaining files with Nero...
    Quote Quote  
  15. DVD Decrypter has 3 modes, File, IFO and ISO

If you use Decrypter in "File Mode", there shouldn't be a VIDEO_RM directory to delete since it is only reading and ripping the files contained in the VIDEO_TS directory.

The path that it rips to is based on the disc name. Since ILO names the disc "DVD_VR", the path it creates will be
    x:\DVD_VR\VIDEO_TS\ (x being the drive you rip to.

It will ignore the existance of any other directory on the disc.

Once done, just write the VIDEO_TS directory back to a DVD+/- r/rw of your choice with Nero.
    Guitarman

ILO DVDRHD04
    Pioneer DVR-420H-S
    Magnavox MOXI DVR
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by donkey_puncher
    I've tried DVD Decrypter and it will let me rip the disk to hard drive, but when I burn the disk again in Nero it's still the same DVD+VR format. I want it to be DVD-Video. My Panasonic DVD player seems to not like the DVD+VR format very well.

Also, what software can you use to edit the disk before finalizing it? I'd rather use DVD+R disks instead of DVD+RW because they also can be a problem with my Panny.

As for the editting of the menus and such, I really don't care about that. I'd rather have the option of having the original recording in DVD-video. I think there are other DVD Recorders that will allow you to select DVD-Video or DVD+VR.
    DVDFAB will solve your problem. I use it to convert my Ilo dvd+rw's to dvd+r's. Just hit copy disk and follow the instructions. For the +rw's I have an extra blank title. That will not be there with the finalized +r's.
    And it works quickly as well as stripping region coding and macrovision.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I finally finished reading this thread. pfew. Couple more to go.

Picked mine up at Wal-Mart for $138 today.

So far, I like it. I was going to write a review, but after finding
    this one and a few other close-related threads, I decided not to.
    Anyways.

Thanks for all the testings that were done over the months so far,
    much appreciated.

-vhelp 3134
    Quote Quote