VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have tried at 2 other tech site to get this problem solved and below I list everything, I can remember, that has been tried. I was referred to this forum in hopes someone had the same problem and found a solution.

My DVD drives both internal and external will no longer play DVDs or Blu-Ray DVDs. They all played excellently until one of the recent Windows 11 Pro updates and now they no longer do. These same drives will play music CDs, will recognize and open data CDs, and will allow burning to them using programs like Nero Burning Rom and Nero Video DVDs. The only thing they will no longer do is play DVDs. I am going to try to outline all that I have tried to date. Some of the things were suggested at another tech site, some I came up with on my own. Nothing fixed it. What I found, that may be of interest, is no matter if it is the 2 internal BD-RE Asus BW-16D1HT Blu Ray burners, the external HL-DT-ST DVDRAM SP80NB80, or the Asus Optical Drive BW-16D1x-U external Blu-Ray burner that I purchased and then sent back, all use the exact same MS driver. The Driver date 6/21/2006 version 10.0.22621.1. I am told the date means nothing. So now the steps I have taken:

• I uninstalled the update I thought had caused the problem and paused Windows updates for 5 weeks. The drives worked and played DVDs until booting the computer the following morning. it had been off all night.
    • Somehow, even though updates were paused, an update installed itself. I uninstalled that update, but the drives have never worked since.
    • I uninstalled the DVD drives and rebooted. The same drivers were reinstalled.
    • I tried to update the drivers. Windows 11 won’t allow that saying the drives are already using the most current drivers.
    • I hooked up external drives, they do the same as the internal drives in that the light flashes and the drives make a clicking sound but will not play DVDs. the blinking and clicking continue until I close the program or eject the disk.
    • I opened a case with Asus. They could not update the drivers and told me Microsoft was responsible for keeping drivers current. They suggested starting from scratch with my less than 6 month old computer and reload Windows 11 Pro meaning I would lose everything I have installed on the computer.
    • I opened a case with Microsoft – Windows support technicians. He actually worked on my computer remotely for over 2 ½ hours. He, somehow, reinstalled Windows 11 keeping my apps, data files, and settings. He said that Microsoft was not responsible for keeping drivers up to date; companies like Asus or LG were. He went to Asus’s site and tried, unsuccessfully, to install different drivers for my internal drives. For some reason, they would not install. That is when he reinstalled Windows 11 Pro.
    • I was told that updating the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 display adapter may help. It didn’t but at least now it is current.
    • I have tried playing Blu-Ray and regular DVD using Leawo Blu-Ray Player, VLC Media Player, PowerDVD, Nero, and Any DVD player. They all do the same thing in that the light continually blinks and a clicking can be heard from the drives trying to play the DVD. Keep in mind these all worked until about 2 weeks ago when a Windows 11 update was installed.
    • I have uninstalled the player software, rebooted, and re-installed the software and nothing I do will make the DVDs play once more.
    I should mention here that I have 2 other computers that have the exact same internal drives and use the exact same drivers and they continue to work as they should.

I am out of ideas to try and so is the other tech site I was working with. Does anyone have any suggestion short of reformatting my drive and starting completely over?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try the following:
    download this

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/DeviceCleanup.zip
    https://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/DriveCleanup.zip

Unzip to any location.
    Start the windows device manager and delete all DVD-Player/BR-Player Drives listed.
    Don't reboot.

Right-click Devicecleanup.exe (select the correct version for your operating system), start as administrator.
    Select all entries related to DVD/BR drives and delete them.

Right-click Drivecleanup.exe (select the correct version for your operating system), start as administrator.
    The cleaning is done automatically. Close the window.

Restart your computer.
    The existing DVD/BR drives are automatically detected and the drivers are installed.
    Test if it works now.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Try the following:
    download this

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/DeviceCleanup.zip
    https://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/DriveCleanup.zip

Unzip to any location.
    Start the windows device manager and delete all DVD-Player/BR-Player Drives listed.
    Don't reboot.

Right-click Devicecleanup.exe (select the correct version for your operating system), start as administrator.
    Select all entries related to DVD/BR drives and delete them.

Right-click Drivecleanup.exe (select the correct version for your operating system), start as administrator.
    The cleaning is done automatically. Close the window.

Restart your computer.
    The existing DVD/BR drives are automatically detected and the drivers are installed.
    Test if it works now.
    When you say, "Start the windows device manager and delete all DVD-Player/BR-Player Drives listed.
    Don't reboot."
    Do you mean "uninstall as can be seen in the attachment. I don't see a delete.
    Thank you for the reply.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Device.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	68136  

Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, of course.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I will give it a try but first I am going to uninstall the DVD player I use also. After the clean ups I will reinstall them and hope they work again. Thanks again for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I ran both clean up files and the DVDs still won't play. After uninstalling the two internal Blu-Ray burners, the Device Cleanup still found the two external drives I had tried last week. I deleted them even though they were not still hooked up.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hlewton View Post
    I ran both clean up files and the DVDs still won't play. After uninstalling the two internal Blu-Ray burners, the Device Cleanup still found the two external drives I had tried last week. I deleted them even though they were not still hooked up.
    does windows media player play your discs ??

or try potplayer - https://www.videohelp.com/software/PotPlayer

might also try running the hardware troubleshooter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFQgMDEGIfM
    Last edited by october262; 13th Dec 2022 at 16:50.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    I ran both clean up files and the DVDs still won't play. After uninstalling the two internal Blu-Ray burners, the Device Cleanup still found the two external drives I had tried last week. I deleted them even though they were not still hooked up.

might also try running the hardware troubleshooter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFQgMDEGIfM
    Windows Media Player says there is no disk to play. I will look into the rest of your suggestions. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by hlewton View Post
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post

Windows Media Player says there is no disk to play. I will look into the rest of your suggestions. Thank you.
    PotPlayer also does not play the DVD. The drive keeps blinking and clicking but it will not play.

I don't know what the reason is but I do know it happened after the last Win 11 updates were installed.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Running the Win 11 Hardware trouble shooter could not identify any problems.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Take the internal drive and put it into one of the other PC's and confirm whether it now works or not
    Quote Quote  
  12. Last edited by ProWo; 15th Dec 2022 at 03:07.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Take the internal drive and put it into one of the other PC's and confirm whether it now works or not
    Thank you.

They all work on other computers, including the external drives. Plus as they are now, they do everything except play DVDs. They open data CDs, they play music CDs, and they will burn anything I want to them from Nero.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I am going to check this out right now. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Again, thank you. I don't mean to sound stupid but I have to ask a question. Please see the attachment. I believe I found what I need to delete but it is not an exact match to the picture that the link shows. What I outlined in the Red box says "EhStorClass," and in the link that same entry says, "Part Mgr." Do you think I have found the correct Registry Keys to delete?

Name:	Filters.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	68142  

Quote Quote  
  16. BAD TIP

It is the right place
    Right click first the key on the left, Export (to the desktop, as a backup of the whole key).
    Then on the right side delete LowerFilters and Upperfilters (the entries marked in red, not their content).
    Then reboot.

Name:	Filters.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	68143  

Last edited by ProWo; 15th Dec 2022 at 03:08.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    It is the right place
    Right click first the key on the left, Export (to the desktop, as a backup of the whole key).
    Then on the right side delete LowerFilters and Upperfilters (the entries marked in red, not their content).
    Then reboot.
    Thank you for the help. I will do that now and hope it works.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Well obviously I did something wrong. I did export that key to the desktop and then I right clicked the two entries and choose delete. It would not reboot. I got what I'd call the BSOD. It tried to fix itself but couldn't. I ran a repair that was supposed to keep my apps and settings. It did not but it did reboot. The only thing it kept was a few of my shortcuts like to Google but none of them worked either. It is now back in the shop and will be rebuilt from scratch. I have a lot of work ahead of me and my only hope is that it will once again play DVDs once I am done. Probably won't get the computer back until sometime mid next week.

Thanks everyone for trying. Just wish I knew what went wrong that it wouldn't reboot. I had even created a Restore Point before doing anything and that was gone too once it did finally reboot.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Deleting the two entries was a bad tip.
    It worked up to Windows 10, but no longer works for Windows 11.
    Just tried it on my computer.
    After deleting the two filters, the computer did not start.
    I was able to restore the two entries and the computer started again.
    In your case, however, I think that more things were already defective, maybe the file system, but maybe something else.
    A complete reinstallation of the operating system is better and will solve your problem with the DVD/BR drives.
    Just for information:
    The here working values for the two entries are (Windows 11 Pro):
    LowerFilters REG_MULTI_SZ EhStorClass
    UpperFilters REG_MULTI_SZ bcfnt partmgr
    Quote Quote  
  20. Thank you for that information. I could not even get to the desktop in the safe mode. If I had been able to do that, I had that reg file I created that would probably have gotten my computer to boot up again. I agree starting over is a good idea. I just hope the problem does not come back again after the rebuild. Plus I don't look forward to getting everything setup the way I want it again.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Well the problem continues. My computer was completely rebuilt, as far as software is concerned and a reformatted hard drive (SSD - 2TB). When it was returned to me DVDs once again played. I was determined to reinstall my apps slowly and cautiously. After each app installation I made sure the DVDs would still play, and they did. I turned my machine off for the night and after it was turned on in the morning, I got a message both in the systray and the restart button, that it had to be restarted to install updates. After it rebooted it would no longer play DVDs. I searched the Windows Update site to try to find anything that was installed that morning which I could uninstall. There was nothing. The only updates that were available and could be uninstalled were installed 5 days prior to this problem happening again. I do not believe I have anything out of the ordinary installed in my computer that could be causing this problem. I am going to list the hardware and the Windows version here. If anyone sees a problem in my setup, please let me know.

Computer – ACPI x64-based PC
    ASUS System Product Name
    Display – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

DVD/CD-ROM drives – ASUS BW _ 16DD1HT (2 of them)

Edition – Windows 11 pro
    Version – 22H2
    Installed on – 12/15/22
    OS Build - 22621.963
    Experience - Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0

Processor - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K 3.60 GHz
    Installed Ram - 64.0 GB (63.7 GB usable)
    System Type - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Pen and touch - No pen or touch input is available for this display
    Quote Quote  
  22. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    .............After each app installation I made sure the DVDs would still play, and they did.
    I turned my machine off for the night and after it was turned on in the morning,
    I got a message both in the systray and the restart button,
    that it had to be restarted to install updates.
    After it rebooted it would no longer play DVDs.
    and
    Edition – Windows 11 pro
    Version – 22H2
    MAYBE downgrading to Windows 10 (or even Windows 8.1?) will be the solution to your problem.
    Ain't much we can do when Windows updates themselves are the well-known cause of hardware malfunction /non-function.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post

MAYBE downgrading to Windows 10 (or even Windows 8.1?) will be the solution to your problem.
    Ain't much we can do when Windows updates themselves are the well-known cause of hardware malfunction /non-function.
    I guess since I wouldn't know how to do that downgrading, I will just have to hold out hope that Microsoft will eventually fix it. Fat chance of that, huh?
    Quote Quote