VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm having trouble finding information about this, I followed a guide that lets me convert Closed Caption data from a dvd to ass and other formats (using CCExtractor), but it's all fixed to one position.

When I play the DVD on my TV the very first lines go on the top area because it would cover the credits otherwise.

If there's no program that can convert them like this, is there a video player that can display CC with the positions on my PC so I don't have to use my TV? It would help when going through the video and attempting to recreate the original positions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I never tire of Sub Station Alpha questions.

"Is my ASS too big?"
    "I can't find my ASS."
    "Where does my ASS go?"

Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    i think this thread is going too half ass slow.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by amaipaipai View Post
    That was a great video, worth watching. I enjoyed it, thanks for posting.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by xAlienxx View Post
    I'm having trouble finding information about this, I followed a guide that lets me convert Closed Caption data from a dvd to ass and other formats (using CCExtractor), but it's all fixed to one position.
    CCExtractor does not directly support positioned formats. You might try exporting to a RAW file, then processing with RAW2SCC (in this package) to produce a Scenarist (SCC) file. From there, you have a choice of tools to convert to ASS or something else.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by xAlienxx View Post
    If there's no program that can convert them like this, is there a video player that can display CC with the positions on my PC so I don't have to use my TV? It would help when going through the video and attempting to recreate the original positions.
    Did you try VLC? I have the subtitle position (Tools->Preferences->Subtitles/OSD) set to "Bottom", but N. American closed captions from TV shows recorded with my DVD recorder are displayed in other areas of the screen as well, so VLC must be able to use the position information in the closed captions.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. My mistake, VLC does support CC with the correct styles, I had the impression it just converted on-the-fly to render with libass.

I exported to .raw with CCExtractor, then converted it to .scc with default settings, but trying to load that with subtitle edit gives me garbage text, I can barely make up some of the words though. Unless the .raw format in CCExtractor isn't the one I'm supposed to be using I've no idea what's up.

Haven't tried SubExtractor yet, as it seems to only handle DVD subs and not pure text CC.
    Quote Quote