VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alih786 View Post
    Verify burn ---- is this a necessity, what are its benefits? It takes ages to burn with checking this.

I still got an issue while inserting the disc -- after inserting, it would make the same noise over and over again as if it isn't reading --- but this is not all the time, sometimes.

I would like to thank all the people who have helped me with this. I hadlost hope that I would never be able to burn a CD using the discs I currently have. I used Aone CD-R.(Chinese brand).
    Apologies if grammar or spelling mistake,I'm using my phone.
    As DB83 stated, something's wrong with either the discs or your burner. I'm betting on the discs. 8X is way too slow for burning and verify, which IMO should always be done as it shows that disc is readable, even if only in the drive used to burn it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by alih786 View Post
    Friend you are mistaken. These are 80min discs. Ive never seen a CD below 80mins/700MB. My total time is within the 80mins, 78mins it is. Look on screenshot.
    nope, in past you must search for CD capable to perform "overburn" and 80 minutes was limit on those time, later they introduced those 90 - 99 minutes CD's - from practical perspective anything higher than 654MB is considered higher than standard (Red Book CD) and everything above 700MB is assumed as way beyond Red Book CD (non standard and may not work).

Slow speed is not bad thing, it was highly recommended in past to burn audio with lowest speed allowed by disc to reduce jitter and reduce errors in audio players. after 20 years i still have working CDR with audio written with 2x speed and 4x but also dye on disc was different (dark blue) those CDR works even on very deteriorated audio players (as audio players are not as good as computer readers and they are tuned for CD only where pitch information is stored in pits not in dye colour change).
    After 20 years still valid: https://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_oversize.shtml (who remember Feurio?)
    For sure audio should be written with CLV speed not CAV and seem speed 8x is last CLV speed before recorder switching to use CAV which may be difficult to be read by audio player.
    Verification of audio may be not required but long Audio reading time may imply issues wit recording quality - check some software to rip Audio CD and compare recorded disc by you and pressed (silver) CD - if reading recorded disc is substantially longer than reading silver then it means recording quality is bad.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by alih786 View Post
    Friend you are mistaken. These are 80min discs. Ive never seen a CD below 80mins/700MB. My total time is within the 80mins, 78mins it is. Look on screenshot.
    nope, in past you must search for CD capable to perform "overburn" and 80 minutes was limit on those time, later they introduced those 90 - 99 minutes CD's - from practical perspective anything higher than 654MB is considered higher than standard (Red Book CD) and everything above 700MB is assumed as way beyond Red Book CD (non standard and may not work).

Slow speed is not bad thing, it was highly recommended in past to burn audio with lowest speed allowed by disc to reduce jitter and reduce errors in audio players. after 20 years i still have working CDR with audio written with 2x speed and 4x but also dye on disc was different (dark blue) those CDR works even on very deteriorated audio players (as audio players are not as good as computer readers and they are tuned for CD only where pitch information is stored in pits not in dye colour change).
    After 20 years still valid: https://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_oversize.shtml (who remember Feurio?)
    For sure audio should be written with CLV speed not CAV and seem speed 8x is last CLV speed before recorder switching to use CAV which may be difficult to be read by audio player.
    Verification of audio may be not required but long Audio reading time may imply issues wit recording quality - check some software to rip Audio CD and compare recorded disc by you and pressed (silver) CD - if reading recorded disc is substantially longer than reading silver then it means recording quality is bad.
    *Raises hand* I remember Feurio!

Like DVDs, as the dyes changed, there's a lower limit on how slow you can burn reliably and for modern 48X or 52X CDRs, 8X is likely too slow.

To be sure, the OP could run both discs through EAC and compare the hashes. But unless you're an audiophile, the error correction on modern players have gotten to the point where read errors are easily recovered.

My turn, who remembers the days before CD players had buffers? Bump the player and instant skip! ;-p
    Quote Quote