VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Played a VHS-C tape (with an adapter) in one of my VCR's and it didn't appear to have anything on it.

Played another one and there was sound but no picture. Tried another VCR and the same issue occurred.

When I tried other commercial VHS tapes, to see if it was just the VHS-C tapes that had the problem, the same issue is occurring.

Not had any issues with either VCR until now. When fast forwarding, picture is very clear (despite the lines that occur when fast-forwarding of course).

What has happened here? If it was just one VCR, I'd assume dirty video heads, but both VCR's seems odd to me. I've tried cleaning tapes in both but to no avail.

Advice needed please greatly!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    silly question, are battery in adapter o.k. ?
    try replace them. Didnt know that adapter needs battery until now.
    But for sure problem is in adapter. Can you try different one?

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 22nd Oct 2017 at 12:02. Reason: But for sure problem is in adapter. Can you try different one?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the reply, good answer, but yes. The issue is occurring with normal VHS tapes too
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then I dont know where can be problem. Cassettes are o.k. both VCR have same issue really dont know where it can be. If you have only one VCR i bet the problem is inside of it. But you tested it in second with same result, so it is really weird.
    Cant be the problem in pal content played in ntsc adapter or other way, that somehow change the internal settings of VCR's ? Do you have black video or noise or stripes... When playing cassettes ?

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 22nd Oct 2017 at 12:15. Reason: Cant be the problem in pal content played in ntsc adapter or other way, that somehow change the internal settings of VCR's ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    and if you are connected through scart, check if it is firmly connected on TV side. I assume your connect it properly on VCR.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Personally I always presume a PAL/NTSC issue with vhs tape problems.
    Although almost all European VHS machines can easily play(make viewable) NTSC tapes....only being viewable
    while fast-forwarding is often a symptom of a PAL tape being played in an NTSC machine.....never heard of it
    permanently breaking or altering the settings of a machine though.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is your TV & vcr set to the right channel ?? TV
    May need to be set to video 1 mode.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Wow thanks for all the replies so far!

Yep very odd indeed isn't it?! Noise and stripes occurring during playback. Decided to run a commercial VHS tape movie to see if it would clear, under the assumption that perhaps the heads might be clogged up. Perhaps the VHS-C tape was sheding it's magnetised oxide inside the VCR's? Some visuals have started to come back now, through the noise and stripes, you can see the movie a little and some colour.

All connected up fine and on the right channels.

Interesting idea about NTSC/PAL.... used the VHS-C adapter many times before in both these machines. Both machines are PAL too. And the all tapes are PAL as well.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by videotardis View Post
    Perhaps the VHS-C tape was sheding it's magnetised oxide inside the VCR's?
    Bingo.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    but then why when ff the picture is clear? Can you tested on different TV?

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by raffriff42 View Post
    Originally Posted by videotardis View Post
    Perhaps the VHS-C tape was sheding it's magnetised oxide inside the VCR's?
    Bingo.
    You have badly shedding VHS-C tapes and your cleaning cassette is ineffective. Open up the decks and clean the heads the right way. (Lots of info around here on how to do that.)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Ok thanks all, looks like cleaning the heads then. I'll do that asap. I tried another VCR, with another VHS-C tape and the same thing has occurred! So that's 3 VCRs down now..... could the VHS-C adapter be affected or even the actual issue instead of the tapes? Could it have collected oxide inside it or something?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I suppose. Why don't you open up the adapter and look?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    How can you tell if a tape is shedding oxide? Is there another way, rather than simply putting into a machine and seeing the after affects?!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Aside from seeing obvious flakes inside the cassette, you'd need a microscope. You can run audiotape through a cloth to check for shedding, but videotape is too delicate to do that by hand.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    An update... I've manually cleaned one of the VCR heads and success! Hopefully will work on the others now too. Disaster on opening up the VHS-C adapter thought to clean, springs and internal parts went everywhere!! So a link to a video or image of how to put this back together would be very useful indeed please anyone! And thank you for all the above advice everyone, really great
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ..... could the VHS-C adapter be affected or even the actual issue instead of the tapes? Could it have collected oxide inside it or something?
    When one of the two heads in a VHS player gets clogged, the picture is usually muted during normal play. FF and REW play only use one head so a picture can come up then. VHS tapes shed off the physical things they come in contact with on play back, and the deposits on these surfaces get transferred later to other surfaces in the deck loop, ad infinitum. Apart from the fragile heads, the pinch roller and capstan and guide pins galore in and out of the VHS-C adaptor can accumulate gunk. I would take a q-tip to the rubber of the pinch roller; a clean one will not discolor the q-tip. A really gunked-up one will look shiny and brownish and may require scraping with a plastic knife.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Disaster on opening up the VHS-C adapter thought to clean, springs and internal parts went everywhere!! So a link to a video or image of how to put this back together would be very useful indeed please anyone!
    Which one is it?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same problem with a camera recorded VHS tape in EP, tried it on 3 different VCR's and none will play the VHS video audio only. NOW the same VCRs will not play the video of any VHS, only the audio. Wet cleaned heads no change, the problem persists. Anyone have a cure / work around?

VCR list are Sony, Sony and a Toshiba
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    If you only used a cleaning cassette, you will need to clean the heads manually. I use 99% isopropyl alcohol and chamois swabs. Do not use cotton. Really bad clogs may require xylene or acetone, both of which must be kept away from plastic and rubber parts. Use a very light touch and move the swab back-and-forth, never up-and-down. While you're at it, clean the rest of the tape path with swabs (cotton is okay here) and alcohol. Give the works a shot of canned air before and after to blow out any lint and debris.

If that doesn't work, then something has gone out of alignment.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Out of alignment on all three within 5 minutes of each other after attempting to play the same tape? Hmmmm One update I rewound a different tape numerous times attempting to polish the video head, after 2 full rewinds a tape actually played with video but with noise bars. So I think the original problematic tape had something on it, I will open up the VCR and clean the head.

Thanks for the info
    Quote Quote