VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,
    At first I don't know where to put it, this part of forum is closest think.
    i have an idea, probably existed but i can't find it. It can be small utility or part of burning programs.
    Recording videos from tv, and once in month or similar, burnt them on BD. The size of videos varies. From several hundred of MBs to say 5GBs. Using direct stream copy, just removing unwanted parts and in Mkvtoolnix remove not useful parts like subtitles, tags and others that can take even 500MB. By this I mean i don't want to reencode it any way, nor two pass just left original quality with direct stream copy and purify it in mkvtoolnix. To say true I re encoding just audio from 192mp2 to 112 or 128 aac FDK.
    So I have lots of files, some of them has to be on same medium (some relation between them) so utility should be able to take it in account too.
    The purpose of utility should be to calculate which files to burn to the medium, with optimal using of size of medium. Now i do it by blind guess. It take some time to achieve optimal use of medium space. I can say, that each MB is very important for me.
    It should take in account type of medium and filesystem and probably other burning thinks like finalize and probably more.. (but demanding such feature imply it is finalized) So there is some sort of math combinatorics knowledge. I think CD is not problem, or DVD, but as bluray media 25 GB to say 200 GB, and big file sizes, it becomes more important.
    Probably such utility exist, if yes, can you point me there, else somebody can found this not important, but probably somebody yes. If there is some kindly person, with math and programing knowledge, it can take less time to create such utility, than it takes to me to create subtitles for 1 episode of foreign language movie.

Thank you for reading

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  2. DVDSpan should be able to do it. Files that belong to together belong in the same folder, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, will check it!

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok,
    firstly thank you. But Dvd span isn't free. That is bit problem. But found DiscFit. But it is horribly outdated, it is 8 years old program. It offers up to BR-DL but doesn't show what size is used, just say from 55GB it create more or less optimal 3 disc. Roughly checked first disc and it should cost me 2GB, so wasting of space. But it keeps files in one directory burned on same disc. There is no option just size of medium, no file size, no size of selection it created, so I thing there is great opportunity for somebody skilled in math and programing to do much more better utility. Or challenge for free burning software to offer function that others have not. It can't be a rocket science.
    So I have still to try luck with blind try.

Now i found sizeme, so I will try it.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 12th Jan 2018 at 18:34. Reason: Now...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    just letting know. Sizeme from screenshots and descriptions looks most promising but... One of my program reports it has Trojan in installer, so will not try it. Probably upload to virustotal to see, what others security providers thinks about the file...
    So virustotal 3/64 Superantispyware, Baidu and some hidden shows it as infected, But all major as clean AVAST, AVIRA, ESET, COMODO, BITDEFENDER and others on virustotal.
    Will not risk. What do you think here is link to VT result.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 13th Jan 2018 at 07:45. Reason: Virustotal result added link
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi, late reation I know, but thought to help anyway:

discfit - burn to the brim - Ignition
    https://alternativeto.net/software/sizeme/
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Virtual Machine? Sandbox? There is plenty of false positives for encrypted (packed code with executable unpacker) also self modifying code is frequently marked as malicious - i'm not saying that it is not infected i just say you can't blindly relay on tools to automatic code analysis.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ruude View Post
    Hi, late reation I know, but thought to help anyway:

discfit - burn to the brim - Ignition
    https://alternativeto.net/software/sizeme/
    Thanks for posting that but that's some pretty clunky software. However I used Sizeme to help me find Discfit. Much easier to use.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/discfit/?source=typ_redirect
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've used this for years. It's old but good enough for me.
    Bincsoft Bitrate Calculator
    https://www.bincsoft.com/downloads/
    Cheers.
    Quote Quote