VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I didn’t realise that this was forum for recording DVDs but I can’t any forums for ordinary purchased DVDs that haven’t been home recorded. So, this is my best bet as I am sure someone will know the answer.

I bought the Blind Dead DVD boxset a few years ago and tonight I wanted to watch the final film of the series “Night of the Seagulls” but the DVD only plays till five minutes in and the freezes and stops .

What is causing this, I never watched or taken it out of the box so it can’t have been scratched, so what could be the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you try cleaning the disc ?? If cleaning fails the disc could be defective.
    Check the disc out under a bright light and see if there's any imperfections
    Bad spots ect.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Agree about the close inspection. And I hope it's a legitimate copy, not a burned version that has problems.

What are you playing the DVD on, a computer or a settop player? They tend to be a bit more forgiving.

If it's a PC, you can try 'ripping' it to your PC with a freeware program like
    DVDFab HD Decrypter.

If it can't be easily decrypted and backed up, maybe a disc problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As said, DVDs can be authored bad. They may be new or even look OK but they may freeze or skip. You might be able to copy the DVD on a PC or another thought is to try different DVD players. I have a dozen or so players, just for such "iffy" discs. Not any one plays all discs but I've found my newest Pioneers seem to have the highest chance, sometimes none will play the disc but my LG PC burner will read and burn me a copy that plays just fine on my players. Note more than often a "iffy" DVD will fail to read on a PC but instead play on a standalone DVD player or only slightly skip, but it's not always the case, sometimes it's the opposite but not too often. DVDs can be quite quirky at times.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I took it took CEX who had a look at it and said that there seem to be no scratches on it.
    I am playing on my Laptop and I have now tried ripping it onto it. However, none of the Ripping software seems to work. HandBrake worked the best but that only copied a few minutes and those were of very low quality.

I might try another DVD player but I will have to wait a while for that as the DVD is region one and I live in the UK, so it is difficult to find another player to try it on.

The thing is that this DVD was part of a boxset (The Blind Dead Collection) which I received brand new and all the other DVDs played fine, so I don’t know why this one isn’t working.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by AgentGrady View Post
    The thing is that this DVD was part of a boxset (The Blind Dead Collection) which I received brand new and all the other DVDs played fine, so I don’t know why this one isn’t working.
    This is more common than you might think: most dvd box sets suffer from the curse of at least one disc in the set being inexplicably defective (even if the "box set" is simply a bunch of individual releases bundled together). Usually the defect is either a tiny scratch you can barely see, or a mistake in authoring that renders the disc unplayable in 90% of the hardware you try it in. The result is skipping, freezing or stuttering.

Whenever I encounter this, the only practical solution has been to make a backup copy f the disc using decent ripping/decryption utilities like DVDfab or CloneDVD. A plain ripping or conversion utility like Handbrake won't cut it: you specifically need something that decrypts, and also has the ability to selectively delete unwanted ads, submenus, trailers, extras, etc. Such specialized software has tricky ways of ignoring or smoothing over authoring defects (and physical damage) during the decryption/rebuilding process. This method doesn't always work, but it has rescued 75% of the flawed box sets I've dealt with over the years.

If all else fails, complain to the distributor that marketed the box set: ask for a replacement disc. Odds are the replacement disc will have the same defects, but it can't hurt to try and get one.
    Quote Quote  
  7. it's the dvd if nothing else plays it and it can't be ripped ie try "DVD SHRINK". my dad has the box set of (The Twilight Zone) all disc work except 2 even with recovery software ie "Mini Tools Cd Dvd Redovery" tryed all discs in multiple players dvd/pc/xbox/ and so on but no these 2 disc just crash
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!