VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What exactly is the benefit of knowing the media code?

What does the media code tell you exactly, and how do you interpret it?

Sorry for the n00b questions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What exactly is the benefit of knowing the media code?

What does the media code tell you exactly, and how do you interpret it?
    try the programs dvdinfopro and dvdidentifier. it will tell you exactly who manufactures the dvd media. some dvd media are better than others. CMC & PRINCO are known to be crap media to some. go to lordsmurfs site: www.nomorecoasters.com

some companies like MEMOREX & TDK have their dvd media manufactured by CMC which is crappy media. take a look at lordsmurfs site and you'll understand why.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As for checking the media id..

do I have to burn the dvd first then I can check the media id or I can check a blank dvd?
    "What It Do"
    Huh ?????
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sssax2003
    As for checking the media id..

do I have to burn the dvd first then I can check the media id or I can check a blank dvd?
    if you had read https://www.videohelp.com/dvdmediaform.php?dvdinfo=1#dvdinfopro you would have found this
    Many (old) DVD writers can't check the media code on blank DVD+R/RW media so if the media code is not displayed you may need to burn something on the disc first.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As an alternative, you can use DVD Decrypter to check the media ID...just start it and load a disc...

just a thought

mastersmurfie
    Quote Quote  
  6. how do I identify the media when I am at the store...is there a identifier or something? I just wanna findout what is the best
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tonyflo
    how do I identify the media when I am at the store...is there a identifier or something? I just wanna findout what is the best
    You cannot. Best to see is "made in Japan" and "made in Taiwan" and "made in Singapore", etc. But you need to know the facts before you go to the store. Takes time and research.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have bought Memorex 8x dvd-r and all the ones I bought previously to yesterday were Ritek G05. I didn't know that in the beginning but tested them with DVD identifier. I bought some at Radio Shack (which I have bought before and they turned out to be the G05's) yesterday...got them home and tested them just because and they turned out to be CMC MAG. I was so mad I returned the 2 I could and sold the open pack to someone. I remember reading on here that sometimes you can tell by the color of the bottom plastic piece and by foam padding at the top of the spindle. Any thoughts? I've had such good luck with this particular media and want to keep buying...but don't want the CMC MAG.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Then why not just buy Ritek brand media from a places like Supermediastore or Meritline and be certain what you are getting? Office Max also often has them.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Point taken...bought 100 pack at Supermediastore..thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Info in this thread are misleading and needs to be updated.

Fake TY's & MCC's have correct codes encoded on them.
    Most of the stores got fooled and are selling these low quality blanks.

I've bought both G04, TY & MCC COUNTERFITS from the stores listed above.

How did I find out they were fakes?
    I read the Media forum here.

I also checked the burns with Nero's "CD-DVD Speed" test.
    Kprobe is (was?) only for LiteOn writers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zleepy
    Info in this thread are misleading and needs to be updated.
    It has been culled of old/invalid data. Only good information has been left.

As far as your rant about stores that sell fake media, places like supermediastore appear to have (currently) fake media, but DO NOT sell it as legit. It's under their "house brand" deals. Only buy official media or buy it buy code/brand "Prodisc brand" PRODISCFxx media ID. Or "Ritek brand" RITEKGxx media code. Brand names like FUJI and VERBATIM are good too.

Stores like Allmediaoutlet, however, have been known to sell fake media as legit, which is a reason to avoid those stores altogether. They're swindling the customers, as far as I'm concerned.

Both shop4tech and meritline have shills that we find on the forum from time to time, and lately they have both been pushing their fake media as legit in this manner. It disgusts me. They know they cannot write "grade A TY media" on their site for the fakes, so they register a shill username on this forum to spread their bullshit. Watch out for these kinds of posts from people with a low post count and/or new registration. In fact, report them to us using the "report this post" feature.

The easiest way to avoid fake media is to buy in the store, and get a well-known name brand like Fuji, TDK, etc. In the end, you just need to be a smart shopper. Be cheap or lazy is the problem for most people. The almost get what they deserve.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Good to know about Meritline. I have actually never bought from them, only from Supermediastore, but a friend is always encouraging me to buy from them. He has also reported poor results using Ritek and refuses to buy their discs. Maybe now I know why.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by john yaya
    Good to know about Meritline. I have actually never bought from them, only from Supermediastore, but a friend is always encouraging me to buy from them. He has also reported poor results using Ritek and refuses to buy their discs. Maybe now I know why.
    If you ignore posts on forums (I know we crack down on shills, ban them, not sure what else may be happening net-wide!), and then shop smart, meritline has great prices and good customer support. They have a huge inventory of legit media, often a great deal.

It's their "secondary advertising" methods that I have a problem with. They need to cut that crap out.
    Quote Quote