VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I'm noticing a strange outline around light, or white objects on my vhs captures. About a year ago I purchased a decent S-VHS player; Sony SLV-R1000. Since it's a Super vhs I've been using S-video out. I'm using VirtualDub to cap with, uncompressed AVI. Is this a head alignment issue?

I've attached a few grabbed stills from the video.

[Attachment 54149 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 54150 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 54151 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Do you see it when connected directly to TV?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Do you see it when connected directly to TV?
    No. The ghosting is not there when viewing direct to tv. Sorry, didn't even think to try that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It's software/driver/capture device issue, If you are using the easycrap it's time to think about getting a good capture device, Plenty of threads about this subject.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using an Osprey 827e pci/e; definitely not a cheap capture card. Software is VirtualDub 32 bit. Card has the latest driver. I have had issues with the card before and been in contact with Osprey support. Do you think I should contact them and send these stills?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    not an expert, but do you have to much sharpening on?, vhs player? capture driver? capture software?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Try AmarecTV software just to see if vdub is doing this. Also try a different OS version, Are you on a PC or Mac? little details create more posts.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Try AmarecTV software just to see if vdub is doing this. Also try a different OS version, Are you on a PC or Mac? little details create more posts.
    For OS I have Win 10/64. Not sure what you mean by try a different OS version?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nilzzon View Post
    not an expert, but do you have to much sharpening on?, vhs player? capture driver? capture software?
    No sharpening enabled on player or capture settings.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you post a small video sample, cut straight from the capture
    Quote Quote  
  11. That's just weird! You haven't by any chance got any filters activated during capture in Vdub?

I'd second Dellsam's suggestion and try AmarecTV v3.10 (or lower, NOT v4+ as it requires a bespoke capture codec)
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Can you post a small video sample, cut straight from the capture
    Here is a Mark in/out clip of an example. No filters are turned on during VirtualDub caps.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you see this on the Virtualdub preview screen?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Do you see this on the Virtualdub preview screen?
    Unfortunately I can't see video during capture. I've tried any and all Preview combinations. I have to rely on audio to know when the source has ended.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As a new test I captured using composite and I do not get the halo effect. Since I'm using a good SVHS player I wanted to output via s-video.

Anyone have any idea why the halo effect is only with s-video output?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If composite is flawless then it's probably the Y/C card inside the VCR is gone bad and requires some a capping job.
    Quote Quote  
  17. It's more likely on the capture card side, the composite output on SVHS VCRs is usually just from some signal mixer that combines the Y and C output from the video decoder at the very end of the signal path. (unless it's only the Y output coupling capacitor that somehow has gone bad.) I would try to test if it appears on a TV or other device with S-Video in, and/or see if the capture card has the same effect on some other S-Video source like a DVD player to make sure though.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I burnt the composite-captured clip to a dvd, then captured that with VirtualDub via s-video from the set-top dvd player and do not get the outline/halo effect. So that means it can't be the capture card correct? But I also do not get the halo effect when playing the tape direct from the vcr via s-video to the tv.
    Quote Quote