VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. We recently bought a DVD Box Set that has only one disc that is flawed out of the twenty DVDs. Only one episode on that disc wasn't able to be digitized via MakeMKV. I looked at the bottom of the disc and it has this cresent shape that is visable it rather resembles a tulip flower. I am hoping the company that sold it to Amazon Canada will be able to just send me that one disc, without bothering with a whole new box set. I never tried to wipe the bottom of the DVD or anything. I have had problems in the past with the odd episode not being able to be backed up on a DVD Box Set but I never bothered returning the DVDs and I probably should have. We bought the first season of "The Virginian" and one episode wouldn't back up; which was especially sad because I believe the show was remastered as it is was stunning in the quality of the picture and sound. I also bought the Perry Mason Movie Collection and two discs were flawed and I didn't return the DVD Box Set. I always think it will cost a fortune to return them.

So any help with understanding the return process, any help on possibly getting passed the scratch and backing up that one episode would be nice. Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    does the disc play ok in a dvd player ??
    might try IsoPuzzle - https://www.videohelp.com/software/IsoPuzzle
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what I would try doing if you can't return the videos to the store, is contacting the company who distributes the discs like fox or disney or who ever it is, will have a website with a form to fill out to get new replacement discs. it happens all the time so they are setup to do so. I think it happen to me with the twin peaks box set I got there was one bad disc in the batch and you had to send them your old disc to get a new one.

it's worth a try, anyway good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  4. october262: I will have to get a hdmi cable and hook up the Blu Ray player to try the disc. However I tried to install IsoPuzzle and it wouldn't install. I did put in DVD Decrypter and even though it failed it was able to get the first 28:57 of the episode as a VSO file.

joecanada: There is a note from VEI inside the DVD Box Set box saying if I have any problems to contact them and it gives me a phone number and an email address for customer care. It says on the note to call them first.

They have finally released a complete series box set of "Gunsmoke" I can imagine there would be at least on disc that is flawed in there somewhere. I can't think of a series that is longer running that is released on DVD.

I often hope they would have a streaming service for older TV shows.

Thank you both for your responses in this matter.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Update, I haven't heard anything from customer service yet. I used some water and a bit of dish soap on the DVD to see what I could do with that tulip mark, I used a microfiber cloth that came with some eye glasses we bought. I dried it and then tried DVD Decrypter and this time a bit more footage got saved. It was able to get to get 29:20 of the episode this time which is an increase of 23 seconds. The episode is 52:31 in length.

I don't know how much to blame on Cov19 when it comes to customer service. I will try another email, perhaps leave a phone message and then contact Amazon Canada to see if they have anyway to remedy the situation. Any further advice is appreciated and thank you in advance.

Something strange about these discs when you open them in VLC you see the menu but when you click your mouse to select and episode it doesn't let you go any further.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Look closely at the defect at different angles, and you will likely see it's under the bottom layer of the disc. I had a defective disc like that. I thought it was smudge under on the bottom, but after cleaning it multiple times and checking again, it was clearly a bubble under the bottom layer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post

Something strange about these discs when you open them in VLC you see the menu but when you click your mouse to select and episode it doesn't let you go any further.
    Seems there is something odd about VLC's dvd navigation - there was another case recently
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/397240-Free-way-to-play-DVDs-in-Windows-10#post2583498
    Quote Quote  
  8. lingyi: I believe you are correct. Thank you for your response.

davexnet: I tried one of the DVDs that work fully and VLC doesn't let you navigate and neither does MPC-BE. I tried the DVD Player in the living room and I was able to navigate and select the episode I wanted to try. Thank you for taking the time and effort to respond to this topic.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I had success with another box set and I am happy there was not one flawed disc. There are other box sets I am tempted to buy but I need to save money so I will have to kick that can down the road.
    Last edited by Tom Saurus; 14th Jul 2020 at 11:49.
    Quote Quote