VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I hope this isn’t off topic.

I know Samsung will. LG might but will not play VOBSUBs. Sonys won’t play MKV, needs to be converted.

My Samsung TV is great at playing almost any format but unfortunately it needs to be replaced. I could get another Samsung but I’m not impressed with the newer models.

I pack VobSubs as well as SRT subs into an MKV container with the video and put it on a USB stick. No problem.

I am interested in hearing if anyone plays MKV files on another brand. I’m limited to what Best Buy sells.
    Quote Quote  
  2. could you not just burn the subs in to the video using handbrake and not be limited by your choice of tv set?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't by a new set based on the built in media player as they're all very cheap and poor feature/compatibility wise compared to any standalone model. Read this thread [https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/386414-Android-Box#post2586194] for lots of info about Android Boxes which in the $50-$100 range are all good and essentially the same. If you're planning on streaming, the newest Nvidia Shield @$200 (be aware that all models have the same name, so be sure to get the latest model) reportedly does a good job of upscaling non-4K content to 4K. I'm not sure if it does the upscaling on local content. Also, the Shield is at it's core an Android Box with a customized software.
    Last edited by lingyi; 16th Jun 2020 at 00:03.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    could you not just burn the subs in to the video using handbrake and not be limited by your choice of tv set?
    Burning in subs requires reencoding the video, losing quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    could you not just burn the subs in to the video using handbrake and not be limited by your choice of tv set?
    Burning in subs requires reencoding the video, losing quality.
    And wasting time.

By the way, for about US$35 you can buy a media player that you can hook up to any TV and play pretty much anything.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I haven't found any media player that plays all the formats the Samsung TVs do. Roku Ultra comes close but it doesn't due VobSubs, just SRT and I think that is iffy. Thanks for the replies.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What you do mean by VOBSubs? It should be .sub and .idx which any Android Box with MX Player, VLC or KODI will play. So will the Nvidia Shield.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want 99% compatibility, buy a cheap laptop or refurbed PC. I use a cheap $250 (several years ago) laptop for my main viewing setup and a $100 refurbed Dell I5 with Win 10 for by second setup. Add a $20 wireless keyboard and I can do anything any media player can do and way more.
    Quote Quote