VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently purchased a item that is an on demand title, once ordered it is then manufacturer.

The item in on a DVD-R media and will not be playable on units that have a record function.

My DVD Units, both external and internal can't recognize nor read it,so how can I rip it to
    the hard drive of my computer? Is it at all possible?

Sincerely,
    JEG
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try using dvdfab
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank You

I will try it and let you know.

I tried it an it didn't work.
    Last edited by JEGage; 10th May 2020 at 19:15. Reason: update
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Recent. How recent ?

Or is this just a continuation of your somewhat 'old' (2012) topic:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/348654-DVD-Won-t-Play-on-PC#post2182068

What was not apparently answered there is how a disk can detect that it is a stand-alone player and not a dvd-recorder or PC-Drive. Surely that behaviour is contrary to basic principles and defined standards. Not everyone wants to 'rip'
    Quote Quote  
  5. This is a continuation of my somewhat 'old' (2012) topic, "which was never resolved".

I just want to rip the individual episodes (13 in total from 2 DVD-Rs) from the DVD-Rs.

Perhaps 8 years later, there is a solution.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To read an On Demand DVD-R retail disc on a PC you must use a standard DVD-ROM drive. (Not a DVD-RW drive, not a Blu-ray burner). It must NOT have any write capabilities. The copy protection prevent them to be read by writable drives, they are not recognized by the drive.

If you don't have one, buy one. Most likely you will only find then used from Amazon sellers or Ebay. Research the model number to verify they are read only drives before ordering.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Than You I will give it a try and let you know.

Do you know the brand names of any standard DVD-ROM drive, that do NOT have any write capabilities, that I might look
    at?

I found one at Amazon, here is a pic of it, just hope it works to let me read and copy DVD contents to the hard drive.

[Attachment 53250 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by JEGage; 10th May 2020 at 19:21. Reason: Update
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Recent. How recent ?

Or is this just a continuation of your somewhat 'old' (2012) topic:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/348654-DVD-Won-t-Play-on-PC#post2182068

What was not apparently answered there is how a disk can detect that it is a stand-alone player and not a dvd-recorder or PC-Drive. Surely that behaviour is contrary to basic principles and defined standards. Not everyone wants to 'rip'
    The last post on that thread gives another possibility. If it has a paper label, that may be the cause of the errors. Either remove the label or try different drives. I have a couple of On Demand discs that have paper labels. I was able to rip them when they were new, but don't know [what] the long term effect may be. Also, IIRC, on Amazon, there's a warning that On Demand discs may not work on PC drives.

At the OP. You abandoned the thread in 2012. Bad netiquette. Please don't abandon this thread. Post whatever happens, good or bad as this may help others in the same situation.
    Last edited by lingyi; 10th May 2020 at 18:19.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sorry I will post good or bad of the results
    Quote Quote