VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone! I ran across a peculiar issue yesterday when ripping a Classic Scifi 4 pack, I believe put out by Turner Classic Movies. The DVDs were double sided, a movie on each side. Three out of the four movies ripped perfectly fine. The fourth one, the Forbidden Planet, could not be ripped to save its life! I used DVD Decrypter on its aggressive settings, which ended up with over 8 failed sectors. Makemkv had a failure as well. Vidcoder froze up and I had to force close it. DVDFabDecrypter said something was wrong with the disc and wouldn't even try. Believe it or not WinX Dvd Ripper Platinum giveaway edition read it, ripped all but the last 20 minutes of the movie, though it acted like it finished it. After all these issues I tried playing the DVD back on VLC, and sure enough it couldn't get past the mark that the "successful rip" stopped at. I cleaned the DVD, examined it, and saw no scratches on it. Any idea what would cause such an issue?
    Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sounds like you have a defective disc.
    if you have dvdfab still installed click the common settings in the
    upper right hand corner and select DRIVES - read - then check "ignore all reading errors automatically"
    restart dvdfab and retry the disc again.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    sounds like you have a defective disc.
    if you have dvdfab still installed click the common settings in the
    upper right hand corner and select DRIVES - read - then check "ignore all reading errors automatically"
    restart dvdfab and retry the disc again.
    So I unchecked ignore all reading errors automatically and still couldn't be done. I downloaded iso buster as suggested to see if it can help. Not a huge deal if this doesn't work, but curious to see how the program could fix the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Double-sided disc sets are the bane of every collector's existence. They're notorious for either out-of-the box defects that afflict every set, or defects that manifest slowly over time (play fine when bought, a year later they're toast), or both. To a lesser extent, this is also common with multi-disc sets in single-side dual-layer format. Something about marketing more than two single-side discs worth of material in a set seems to drive studios insane with sloppiness and cost-cutting.

Often there is nothing you can do, because the issue that stops ripping/playback cold is an inherent authoring or pressing defect that was passed into every single set. Exchanging sets will only help if the defect is random, and even then you might just get the same impossible defect at a different point in the same side or in one of the other sides. ISObuster can sometimes salvage a problem disc, but it can take many hours or even days depending on computer/disc drive. Note ISObuster will NOT actually salvage anything in "free trial" mode, so if you aren't willing to buy it don't waste your time downloading it (it will take forever to rip the disc, tell you exactly whats wrong with it, then refuse to repair it until you input a paid license key).

In this specific case, I recommend you avoid a lot of frustration by simply popping over to eBay and purchasing the original properly-mfd MGM single-sided DVD (new incl shipping) for $6.99. Some retail chain stores like Best Buy periodically have it in their bargain bin sales for $4.99, Amazon typically sells it for $9.99. Clean used copies sell for less.
    Last edited by orsetto; 1st Apr 2020 at 12:47.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Double-sided disc sets are the bane of every collector's existence. They're notorious for either out-of-the box defects that afflict every set, or defects that manifest slowly over time (play fine when bought, a year later they're toast), or both. To a lesser extent, this is also common with multi-disc sets in single-side dual-layer format. Something about marketing more than two single-side discs worth of material in a set seems to drive studios insane with sloppiness and cost-cutting.

Often there is nothing you can do, because the issue that stops ripping/playback cold is an inherent authoring or pressing defect that was passed into every single set. Exchanging sets will only help if the defect is random, and even then you might just get the same impossible defect at a different point in the same side or in one of the other sides. ISObuster can sometimes salvage a problem disc, but it can take many hours or even days depending on computer/disc drive. Note ISObuster will NOT actually salvage anything in "free trial" mode, so if you aren't willing to buy it don't waste your time downloading it (it will take forever to rip the disc, tell you exactly whats wrong with it, then refuse to repair it until you input a paid license key).

In this specific case, I recommend you avoid a lot of frustration by simply popping over to eBay and purchasing the original properly-mfd MGM single-sided DVD (new incl shipping) for $6.99. Some retail chain stores like Best Buy periodically have it in their bargain bin sales for $4.99, Amazon typically sells it for $9.99. Clean used copies sell for less.
    Wow! Thanks for the insight Orsetto! It was odd because I swear it played back once, and was wondering what the issue could be. I got it as a Christmas gift one year. It was cool when it came out, but a nightmare to handle for fear of fingerprints on one side, etc. I backed up the other 3, and tried iso buster but it took too long. I looked online and found a mp4 file of it on the internet archive for free. It will have to do. I will defintely never buy double sided discs again!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I will defintely never buy double sided discs again!
    Unfortunately sometimes they're unavoidable, esp if you're into obscure or really dated films or TV series: Murphy's Law means the more obscure the material and the more discs involved, the more likely the studio is to glitch it up. This issue most recently (and unexpectedly) bit me with a four disc BBC disc set of the original UK series "The Office". Bought it 4 or 5 years ago, played it a couple times, no problem. Last month when a friend asked to borrow it, I put it on again and discovered every damned one of the four dual-layer discs had developed an impassible defect (playback freezes on hardware and software players, can't be salvaged by ripping). To say I was pissed is an understatement.

Usually I wouldn't even bother trying to buy a replacement set, but I got lucky: it was "remastered" with some new material a couple years back with a price drop of 60%. You can bet I backed up the fully functioning new set immediately. More often you don't get lucky: all you can do is salvage as much of the discs as possible and perhaps fill in the gaps with a personal recording or web archive file (as you did). I've been incredibly lazy about backing up some dicey older TV series and movie multi-packs that I'd already noticed had failings: really hoping I don't discover too many more new "time bombs".
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope you don't have anymore time bombs either!
    Yeah, I'm backing stuff up due to being a frequent Kodi user and recently watching The Matrix, where you spend every five seconds adjusting the Volume. I realize a lot of my movies will never be watched, and now with this dual layer fiasco, I will go through and get rid of some movies, now that I have some time stuck inside.
    I see you are in NYC. Be safe!
    Quote Quote