VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I'm in a band and make our live videos myself - whilst playing the violin! So I need to set up my cameras before the gig and they need to run for up to 1hr 30mins (or at least 45 mins if our set is divided by an interval). I'd like to use an Osmo 3 gimble so I can set a phone up to track the singer on stage but guess this would need a phone which can film continuously - not split the shoot into 4gb files as I assume the stopping and starting would cancel the tracking setting. Is there a phone out there that can do this? I'd like to use a phone with a 2x telephoto lens as I can't put the tripod right in front of the singer because it would look terrible for the audience.
    Thanks in advance for your help and comments.
    Chris
    Quote Quote  
  2. Rather than getting a new phone to use as a camera, why not just get a camcorder or Osmo pocket? You can put it almost anywhere because it's the size of a microphone -- and less expensive than what you propose.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your reply. The reason I want to get an Osmo 3 mobile phone gimbal rather than another camcorder (I already used 3) is because I want the camera to follow the musicians around on the stage as they move. Being one of the musicians myself I can't physically move my cameras during the gig. At the moment I use the Ken Burns effect in Final Cut Pro to give some movement to my shots but it is slow and painstaking. If I had a camera which physically tracked the members of the band it would be much easier as well as more effective.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by chrisfitter View Post
    Thank you for your reply. The reason I want to get an Osmo 3 mobile phone gimbal rather than another camcorder (I already used 3) is because I want the camera to follow the musicians around on the stage as they move.
    That's why I recommended the Osmo pocket. In addition to its size, that's one of its cool strengths. You do use a phone for initial setup. (I don't work for DJI.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks - that's great! I didn't know the pocket did tracking! Do you know how long it will record for in one take?
    Quote Quote  
  6. It depends on the capacity of your card. Depending how you format it, it will still create spanned files (as all camcorders will) but there will be no interruption. (Full disclosure, I have not used it on long runs personally.)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. It is tempting but having watched some reviews of the active tracking it seems like if it loses the subject (which it does sometimes) it won't start tracking again until you tell it to - which I won't be in a position to do. I guess that will be the same with a phone on a gimbal, however if the phone is further away with a 2x telephoto I imagine it will be easier for it to track the subject as the musicians' movements will require less camera movement to track.
    Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. That's always the gamble with autonomous systems. Best of luck, however you choose to proceed.
    Quote Quote