VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all! I'm converting a bunch of VHS tapes to digital using a cheap USB capture device from Amazon and OBS studio. It's going well except probably about half of the time the color in the video goes grayscale with a bunch of horizontal RGB lines through it. I assumed it was just because the tapes are old, but I thought I'd post here in case someone else knows the cause of them. Like maybe something wrong with the VCR or maybe the head needs cleaned? Here is a video of the distortion. Towards the end the distortion goes away.

https://youtu.be/-5oTgngduyg

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    No, not dirty heads. When that happens you get snow. Does the artifact always occur in the same place? Across different tapes?
    Quote Quote  
  3. The artifacts always occur in the same places per tape and I see them on multiple tapes. I might have some old store bought movies on VHS. If I can find those I'll try and see if they show up on those too. Maybe it's just these old home videos.
    Quote Quote  
  4. This can be so much things, tapes losing magnetic information, electronics like old electrolytic capacitors that need replacement, hard to say. Did you try on other VCR's?
    A VCR with a TBC would be the best to test your tape.
    Quote Quote  
  5. As a quick test: do the same problems show up if you watch the tapes on a TV?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Jagabo,

I was going to ask the same thing. It might be bad tapes and not the capture card.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If the the damage is consistent in the same location of the tape then probably there is nothing he can do about it, Those rainbow artifacts usually happen in second generation tape recordings. The only way to know for sure is using a VCR with built in TBC and S-Video cable hooked up to TV or good quality capture card/device.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Video like that was often always like that. Meaning not a playback VCR, not aging, etc.

And lot of people mis-remember tape condition, so falsely assume the issue is current, or from aging.

I'd try another VCR. That sort of error can be many things, and in my experience, anything not present on the tape at record time is from a bad playback deck.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 24th Aug 2019 at 20:02. Reason: forgot word
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi, I have the exact same problem when I capture from the vcr with an easycap.
    But when I plug the vcr to the tv the problem is not there. So the vcr is working, but not the capture process.
    help please!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by nachitovillano View Post
    Hi, I have the exact same problem when I capture from the vcr with an easycap.
    But when I plug the vcr to the tv the problem is not there. So the vcr is working, but not the capture process.
    help please!
    Get a good capture device, Start reading the forum there are a lot of threads discussing the same subject "What is the best VHS capture device?"
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having the same issue with a cheap VHS to USB adapter from Amazon. Were you able to fix this?
    Quote Quote