VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What are the current costs to send VHS tapes out by mail and have them captured and digitized? U.S.-based shops with proven track record would be preferred.

I'm looking at 10-15 VHS tapes, a mix of NTSC, PAL, and SECAM, recorded at various speeds (no idea which tapes were recorded at which TV standards and which speeds).

Targeted format is:
    - lossless video (FFV1 is pretty good from what I've read?)
    - Perhaps FLAC audio (to save space over PCM)
    - MKV container
    - I assume NTSC and PAL tapes would be captured at their respective standard resolutions, is that correct?

I want the absolute best VHS players and capture hardware to be used. How much would this job cost, per hour of video?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Contact lordsmurf. He provides transfer services. Not sure about PAL and SECAM though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are several members who do this work.

lordsmurf has been mentioned. johnmeyer is another

I would have thought that both can handle multi standards since you only need a multi-standard vcr for that

Some months ago a guy came to the forum boasting of his 'studio' to do this work. The topic is worth a read just for his nonsense

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/388888-An-actual-VHS-to-Digital-Studio

And how much he was charging per tape. That itself will makes your eyes water
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As has been discussed here, multi-standard VCRs may not output a true PAL or SECAM signal. Also, in addition to a VCR, a compatible TBC, capture device and processor if used are necessary.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I passed those topics. It has always been my understanding that a proper multi-standard vcr can handle these broadcast standards. Many moons ago I sent off tapes of both Brasil and Russian recordings to a guy who then offered the service as a standards conversion using two multi-standard vcrs. In return I received PAL tapes.

Of course you would also require a multi-standard tv to view the output.
    Quote Quote