VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. eBay and Amazon offer 'converters' that ostensibly accept 1080p/i video in and output NTSC or PAL video. I'm not referring to the simple cable breakouts with the appropriate connectors, these 'converters' require power and evidently have smarts inside. These sell in the $10/$30 range.

My question is, can I connect the HDTV HDMI output of whatever I'm watching on TV (satellite, Roku, Blu-Ray, off-air) and run it through this contraption into my standalone DVD recorder? I'm wondering how the program aspect ratio is handled; that is, would the DVD play at 480i on any player, and would the picture be watchable, squashed, or what?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As discussed here, the real issue the converter not allowing the conversion of an encrypted HDMI signal: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/393510-HDMI-to-Component-Converter
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Why don't you just post it here for everybody's benefit.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Electrojim View Post
    My question is, can I connect the HDTV HDMI output of whatever I'm watching on TV (satellite, Roku, Blu-Ray, off-air) and run it through this contraption into my standalone DVD recorder? I'm wondering how the program aspect ratio is handled; that is, would the DVD play at 480i on any player, and would the picture be watchable, squashed, or what?
    It depends on how you set you set top box to output the video via HDMI, If set to pan and scan the left and right parts of a widescreen frame are cut off, If set to letterbox it will add black bars on top and bottom of the 4:3 frame, Zoom options will either zoom unchanged or stretch the frame. This is an issue of the playback device, So you may want consult the user manual of your box.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Why don't you just post it here for everybody's benefit.
    Because I'm guessing he's a spammer? Just joins today and makes a post like that, the first and only post......
    OP, while all cheaper(<$200) HDMI to composite converters I've tired do what you want, the quality is crap. They should have proper aspect ratio but the quality is quite bad.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AMorrison View Post
    Just wanna be useful
    So make public post.
    Last edited by Pinto007; 5th Jun 2020 at 15:48.
    Quote Quote