VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Until now i used K-lite Codec pack with Bsplayer for watching Divx films but now i watch hd rips .mkv also
    CoreAVC codec doesnt come with K-lite Codec pack
    With K-lite comes ffdshow but with that aren't best results, i want CoreAVC (i saw quality on other pc)
    How to make coreAVC prefered codec for mkv files?
    I also need explanation why some mkv files played with BSplayer use CoreAVC and some other mkv use ffdshow.
    What is best audio codec for mkv files? AC-3? is there any better?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I get best results using ffdshow for h264/x264 video. Use a newer build from www.ffdshow.info and no codec pack . Play with MPC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want CoreAVC, go and buy it. It is only a few $$$
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. There's not much difference between CoreAVC's decoding and ffdshow's. The differences you saw were probably in the graphics cards, monitors, and/or setup.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Until now i used K-lite Codec pack with Bsplayer for watching Divx films but now i watch hd rips .mkv
    ...sniff...sniff...
    also
    CoreAVC codec doesnt come with K-lite Codec pack
    My BMW would never come with a Pinto. In fact, I wouldn't expect it to come with my Toyota or my Nissan either.
    With K-lite comes ffdshow
    The research paper my friend copied from me came with my work too.
    but with that aren't best results
    Really? No kidding. If it came from a codec pack then don't expect updated, quality, clean or legal output.
    i want CoreAVC (i saw quality on other pc)
    How to make coreAVC prefered codec for mkv files?
    With a few bucks maybe?
    I also need explanation why some mkv files played with BSplayer use CoreAVC and some other mkv use ffdshow.
    Same reason why my Toyota goes 30kmph as opposed to 130kmph - depends which gears I'm using.
    What is best audio codec for mkv files? AC-3? is there any better?
    What is the best drink for my glass? Does my glass care what I put in it?

Ok, I'll be nice now.

Stay away from codec packs - they are EVIL. They put "stuff" on your computer and are total junk. All you really need is ffdshow and Haali's splitter and you're set. (I would also install either the DivX or Xvid codec for other color space compatibilities as well.)

As for ffdshow vs CoreAVC, well I would give the edge to CoreAVC. But ffdshow is still very good too, and free.

And if all you want is playback of the most important stuff without any codecs - VLC VideoLAN will do just fine. It runs on its own set of codecs.

As for best audio, it all depends. MKV is only a container (like the glass I described) which can accept almost anything.

AC3 is the "Cadillac" of audio formats - a bit old and fat but very luxurious. It is very capable of fabulous quality. It's a widely accepted standard to the point where MP4 finally gave in and accepted it too. Usually AC3 comes with "special MKVs" since it's usually the original audio track from the disc it was ripped from - so expect great quality in that case.

MP3 needs less space than AC3 and plays almost anywhere on all devices today, but is usually not associated with the best quality.

AAC has among the best compression - better than AC3 and MP3. But outside of Apple-ware, it still needs more time to mature in the general market.

LPCM is "lossless" but needs much more space. I would use FLAC for lossless stuff since it's a smaller file.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok thanx to everyone, especially to Puzzler for satirist reply
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mladen82
    ok thanx to everyone, especially to Puzzler for satirist reply
    And thank you for being a good sport. I'm glad you found humor in that.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote