VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    I have ripped a DVD of TV show episodes using DVD Shrink but I have noticed that, when playing the VOB files in my computer's media player, there are parts of various episodes within each one.

I presume this is a anti-piracy method?

Any ideas around it?

EDIT: MakeMKV fixed all my issues.
    Last edited by kingmustard123; 29th May 2018 at 13:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    VOB files have nothing to do with the episode length. Episodes/chapters are handled at the authoring stage of a DVD.
    DVDDecrypter can give you individual chapters/episodes if that is what you want....and if it was authored that way(most are).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    VOB files have nothing to do with the episode length. Episodes/chapters are handled at the authoring stage of a DVD.
    DVDDecrypter can give you individual chapters/episodes if that is what you want....and if it was authored that way(most are).
    I ripped the DVD using DVD Decrypter and this is what I get:

[Attachment 45762 - Click to enlarge]

However, the large VOB files (where the main video files are) are all mixed up inside.

For example, VTS_06_2.VOB (15m 44s) contains parts of various episodes, as do the other large VOBs.

There should be 6x 21-minute (roughly) episodes, with the fifth episode having audio commentary.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've noticed if I use Re-author instead of Full Disc in DVD Shrink, I can see the six episodes.

However, when I rip one of them, it's in two VOBs, probably because a VOB can only be so large.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You ripped using DVDDecrypter in FILE mode. Should have used IFO mode, then you'll get a breakdown of chapters (by number, will list time each).
    From there, what I usually do is demux to raw streams and then later mux whichever combination of streams (e.g. V + A1 + A2) I want.
    Not only does this get you exact lengths you want, but it seamlessly stitches appropriate VOBs together behind the scenes, so don't have any breaks or glitches.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Here:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dvddchapter.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	45765  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thank you, both!