VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone recommend a free program that can trim 4K video?

I've done a lot of searching and the suggestions that I have found are trial programs.

I do very little 4K trimming and don't feel that is is worth while to buy a program. I do have Video ReDo and SolveigMM Video Splitter that I use for HD trimming but they won't accept 4K video.

Does a free program exist?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't personally recall seeing any freeware editor which supports 4K video. Editing the codecs typically used for 4K is demanding and the hardware requirements are still relatively high.

Some decent consumer editing programs which claim 4K support are PowerDirector 16 Ultra, VEGAS Movie Studio 15 Platinum, and Corel VideoStudio Pro 2018 but I guess you have already rejected them.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try avidemux but it only cuts on I-frames, so it is not frame accurate.

If you want to spend some more $$, perhaps the new Videoredo TVSuite
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    If you want to spend some more $$, perhaps the new Videoredo TVSuite
    The most common formats for UHD video are H.265/HEVC, H.264/AVC and VP9. I haven't yet found any consumer editors which claim to edit UHD VP9 WebM files.

I have the latest release of VideoReDo TVSuite v5. The release notes for Version 5.1.2.731 (Release date: 2015-05-26) do say it supports editing UHD H.264 video, although I have not tried doing that. VideoReDo TVSuite v5 doesn't list HEVC video or VP9 video as supported at any resolution.

[Edit]cottage might need a newer video card to facilitate HEVC editing.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Apr 2018 at 11:18.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had an older version of AviDemux and it didn't handle 4K. As per your recommendation, I downloaded the latest version and it works like a charm - and really fast too!

I feel a little embarrassed. As part of my research I should have found this myself. However, you pointed me in the right direction.

Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated!
    Quote Quote