I have successfully copied many video clips from VHS to VCD with the following setup: VHS Player -> Dazzle DVCII -> .mpg -> VCDEasy -> VCD, but one tape has never copied successfully.

The mpg I capture plays successfully in Windows Media Player (& others) and the .dat file on VCD plays successfully in Windows Media Player (& others) , but the VCD will not play on my RAITE 715. The VCD is correctly recognized and the audio plays all right, but the video appears "blank." If I fast forward or backward, then I see video, but when I resume play, the video is frozen on the last fast-forward/backward image.

On a whim I tried again with a different VHS player and got a fully successful playable VCD with video, but unfortunately had not captured the last 4 minutes; when I tried again with the identical setup, I was back to the original result: no apparent video.

I'm happy enough to have an almost full copy, but wonder if anyone has any explanations.

I'm sure there's no copy protection involved since it's a workshop tape and I can copy tape-to-tape. However, there are slow-motion segments on the tape that do not cover the full screen and the bottom of the screen retains the prior image. The log of the successful recording has the following notation: "APS' pts seems out of order (actual pts 263.156389, last seen pts 263.189756) -- ignoring this aps"; the unsuccessful ones did not.