VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings
    I'm trying to convert a dvd with dts audio only to a dvd with ac3 audio using xmedia recode 3.1.6.9
    when trying to add a subtile (in fact choose only english subtitle from the dvd) it doesn't stay there and the job is defined without subtitle.
    How to I add subtitle or should I go back/wait to older/newer version?
    thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bump. I've exact same inquiry as this. I'm trying to add subtitle into my .mp4 and based on GUI, it seems I've taken sufficient steps. The final product should include the CC selection in my video for English Subtitle.

I've reviewed forum rules. There's no rule forbidding necroposting.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by XP Mai View Post
    Bump. I've exact same inquiry as this. I'm trying to add subtitle into my .mp4 and based on GUI, it seems I've taken sufficient steps. The final product should include the CC selection in my video for English Subtitle.

What type subtitles you have?
    SRT file?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    Originally Posted by XP Mai View Post

What type subtitles you have?
    SRT file?
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. screenshot:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	srt3.jpg
Views:	12455
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	43129
    Last edited by roma_turok; 16th Sep 2017 at 08:42.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes, and yet the final product it still doesn't have any subtitles
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you open final product in MediaInfo
    its have subtitles?

If video have subtitles MediaInfo display as text streams:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	text stream.jpg
Views:	11169
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	43133
    Last edited by roma_turok; 16th Sep 2017 at 13:00.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi I read somewhere that with MP4 you have to burn or render the sub title file into the video. if you change to M4V you can have a sub title that you can select, also try Matrosky format MKV, I think you can do mp4/h264 in it.

And to go over that pretty picture again you clicked on import, got your file, it showed up in input window, you clicked on it, then you selected what to do with it down below, (render or copy), then click on the arrow and it showed in the output window, yes? .
    I am using the 3.3.7.2 version of the software, I have only seen render and copy no convert, but I think he just changed label convert to render.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you open final product in MediaInfo
    its have subtitles?

If video have subtitles MediaInfo display as text streams:
    [Attachment 43133 - Click to enlarge]
    Nope, it doesn't have. The ironic thing is the original video (which has no subtitles at all) has text stream but the encoded one doesn't.

Originally Posted by lostcowboy View Post
    Hi I read somewhere that with MP4 you have to burn or render the sub title file into the video. if you change to M4V you can have a sub title that you can select, also try Matrosky format MKV, I think you can do mp4/h264 in it.
    No, thanks. I don't want to convert -- that's why I'm exploring this software.
    Originally Posted by lostcowboy View Post
    And to go over that pretty picture again you clicked on import, got your file, it showed up in input window, you clicked on it, then you selected what to do with it down below, (render or copy), then click on the arrow and it showed in the output window, yes? .
    I've tried both render/convert but it doesn't change the final product. I've been encoding this video many times with slight variations but to no avail. (I'm aiming for selectable subtitle)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can do this with VLC player.
    Media -> Convert/save Then in tab File which is selected by default add desired file. If your subtitle file is in same folder with same name as videofile, press convert/save. Press edit preset (icon with tools) Here choose mp4/mov. In second tab (video codec) check both video and keep original videotrack. In next tab, audio codec check both audio and keep original audio file. After this press SAVE. Next select destination file. And thats all. No conversion, just remuxing video.

BTW. If you use mkvtoolnix, add file mp4 and srt then it doesnt reencode video. It only remuxed it. If you have not any special reason to keep files in mp4, I suggest you mkv format. But I know, there are phones etc. supporting only mp4.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    BTW. If you use mkvtoolnix, add file mp4 and srt then it doesnt reencode video. It only remuxed it. If you have not any special reason to keep files in mp4, I suggest you mkv format. But I know, there are phones etc. supporting only mp4.
    The problem with that tool is that the final product is in .m4v
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No it is MP4 at least here. .m4v is videotrack only (I suppouse).
    If you do it as I describe it step by step, everything should be o.k. (dont forget check everything in audio codec panel)
    It has only problem with HEVC (h265) video track. Otherwise everything is o.k.

Bernix

EDIT - Sorry for misunderstanding. The final product is *.mkv thats true. But if you want to use it on your computer or devices that support it, it is very good container.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 23rd Sep 2017 at 07:25.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can do this with VLC player.
    Media -> Convert/save Then in tab File which is selected by default add desired file. If your subtitle file is in same folder with same name as videofile, press convert/save. Press edit preset (icon with tools) Here choose mp4/mov. In second tab (video codec) check both video and keep original videotrack. In next tab, audio codec check both audio and keep original audio file. After this press SAVE. Next select destination file. And thats all. No conversion, just remuxing video.
    I've tried. It doesn't work. No subtitles the in the final product. I followed your instructions carefully and even reached the stage to edit profile. Maybe which codex should I choose?
    Last edited by XP Mai; 23rd Sep 2017 at 08:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No codec to choose. In video codec tab check both on upper left corner. Same do in audio codec.
    And be sure you have subtitles in same folder and with same name. pro.mp4 pro.srt

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

HERE PRESS Convert/save

Video and audio tabs should look like this

And subtitle tab should be like this

Than click on save and choose destination file. For example Testsub.mp4

Of course you can do your own profile with name mp4 copy video copy audio ... But i think this proces is so quick and I would needed more screenshots

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM

HERE PRESS Convert/save

Video and audio tabs should look like this

And subtitle tab should be like this

Than click on save and choose destination file. For example Testsub.mp4

Of course you can do your own profile with name mp4 copy video copy audio ... But i think this proces is so quick and I would needed more screenshots

Bernix
    Still doesn't work. Instead of just telling you "It doesn't work.", I've recorded a screencast to show you how I did it. http://somup.com/cbQZ1gVbi6

Edit: I have created a support thread for VLC Media Player help troubleshoot too.
    Last edited by XP Mai; 24th Sep 2017 at 02:55.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do not insert any subtitles in proces. Just copy them to same folder where video is, and then do it as you did. So dont do nothing with subtitles, just skip first step you are doing. And be sure, the name of the subtitles is same as video and they are in same directory as video.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by XP Mai View Post
    Edit: I have created a support thread for VLC Media Player help troubleshoot too.
    Haiss, all suggestions above are futile. This is the official response:
    Originally Posted by InTheWings
    Muxing in srt is not supported.
    In fact, there's not really much support for subtitles outside of dvd ones.
    Quote Quote