VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I have a DVD of a singer's past TV performances, all are in 4:3 bar the final song which is 16:9. However, the DVD company have put black bars top and bottom of it. I've just finished editing and converting the DVD into two files using MeGUI - one with the 4:3 performances that I wish to keep and one with the 16:9 performance cropped.

Is there any way I could make one file with the 4:3s AND the cropped song? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The did not put those black bars. That was a 4:3 source from a 16:9 video. Quite common before 16:9 tvs were the norm.

The only way I think you could combine the two would be to create a 16:9 clip but then you have side-bars on all your 4:3 footage. Personally I would have left the letterbox clip alone and just ended with 4:3 for everything.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, DB83. Good idea about sidebarring the 4:3 section although I'm not going to do that - I was asking out of curiosity. I've no problem with having two files if it allows me to watch the final song in full 16:9 on my telly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    np. Just be aware that watching those 4:3 vids correctly on a 16:9 display will mean you have side-bars all the same.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Of course, I just meant I wasn't prepared to purposely add sidebars just for the minor benefit of having all the songs on one file. All the best to you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The MKV spec allows for linking files, so you could keep the 4:3 and 16:9 videos in separate files and in theory a player should play them as though they're a single file.

I say "in theory" because I doubt any hardware players support it and software player support isn't guaranteed, but you can link MKVs with MKVToolNix. Worst case scenario is they'll play as individual files. Actually..... that's second worst case. Worst case is the player won't cope with the change of resolution properly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    just tested. Video camera output, so 4:3 and 16:9 but same resolution. Opened 4:3 in mkvtoolnix, then appended 16:9. Played result in Potplayer, both in aspect ratio setting on recommended. Keep aspect ratio (recomended) and Default display AR (recomended). Using EVR custom present <- it may look as not interesting thing, but I noticed, there is very popular renderer, that can't handle mkv files properly (virtual crop).
    The resulting video switched 4:3 to 16:9 bit earlier then second (appended video) started.
    Different resolution I don't believe it is possible do it by appending, But as 2 parallel streams, there shouldn't be any problem. Because in one TV multiplex is SD and HD content this way. HD h264 + aac audio with SD mpeg 2 + mp3.
    I think OP question, you dont get anything with cropping black bars.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 8th Nov 2017 at 12:16. Reason: Sorry MP2 audio
    Quote Quote  
  8. Bernix,
    if you're replying to me, I wasn't referring to appending MKVs, but to linking them, and for that I don't think it has anything to do with the renderer. The splitter probably does the work. I don't use Potplayer but I recall testing with MPC-HC and the result was different when playing linked MKVs with it's internal splitter than when using the Haali splitter.
    I can't remember exactly but sometimes linked MKVs load as a single file and the player shows the total duration, or sometimes they're simply played on after the other. It depends on the splitter.
    I'd never try to append MKVs containing different types/resolutions of video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I have the problem playing mkv files with one specific renderer. And yes, this is not the case. You are right. Just downloaded renderer again. And it works.
    Different resolution one after another, Mkvtoolnix will not do it. Error and you can't get output.
    Mkvtoolnix has ability to crop video files virtually and this possibility is correctly displayed I think only EVR custom present Direct 3d 9, 11 and opengl. That!s why I was confused with renderers and splitters.
    Thank you for correcting me.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  10. Sorry, but are we actually talking about the same thing?

There's two MKVs attached. Different resolutions (although the same aspect ratio as I used MKVs I had handy). If you put them in the same folder and open one of them with MPC-HC, it'll play them together as though they're a single file. VLC does the same, but instead of resizing the second MKV to the same resolution as the first, it changes it's window size, unless you're in fullscreen mode, although it still doesn't seem to switch as smoothly. Potplayer seems to ignore linked MKVs.

I can't speak for the cropping situation. I did try it a long time ago and support by software players wasn't very good and for hardware players it seemed non-existent. Unfortunately there's as little support for linked files too, so it's not practical to use unless you know your player supports it and you're the only one playing the linked files.
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: mkv 1.mkv (1.05 MB, 298 views)
    • File Type: mkv 2.mkv (402.6 KB, 284 views)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    now I know, what you mean. I just thought to append 1 file to 2 file so it is only regular one file with no chapters. It worked in potplayer. With switching aspect ratio.
    Let it be for now. I checked youtube for it, so it is different method.
    Add virtual crop. For sure supported in Potplayer with EVR custom present, same with MPC-BE with same renderer. Hardware players doesn't seems to support it at all.
    Virtual crop is depending on renderer, and useful, when have 1920x1080 with black bars and for example tv logo, which you dont want see during playback. But the logo is still part of video. (Of course, this you know) just explaining it. So not supported players playing video uncropped.

Edit: If both files are in same location, potplayer play them both, because I have in preference playilist checked auto add similar files in play folder

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 9th Nov 2017 at 07:47. Reason: added EDIT
    Quote Quote  
  12. Search "How to Display 4:3 aspect ratio Fullscreen Video or Movies on 16:9 Widescreen?", you will find the best solution.
    Quote Quote