VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This I think is a well known issue, but I haven't found an adequate solution. I have a Canon HV30 and when I transfer HDV footage to my computer and view it in my editor software (Pinnacle Studio), unlike with my old SD camcorder, there is no date/time stamp on the scenes (i.e. when the video was taken).

Does anyone know of a solution to this? Is there any other program that can read the footage and show the date/timestamps for HDV?
    Humility is a much under-rated human virtue
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Same here. It would be nice if it can show the date anytime during capture/transfer without the need of buying a third party software. I'm wondering, is it technically difficult to have that feature in a camcorder, like the old days?

What I am doing right now is watch the camcorder monitor during capture and note the dates of the various clips then manually put the dates as titles when authoring. Perhaps someone here has a better suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have also searched for a TimeStamp for HDV. I tested this demo of ”DVMP pro”. As far as I can see it stamps the m2t-file but the output is an AVI-file. The reason is said to be to avoid deteriotaion of the m2t-file.
    Then there would be no reason to film in HD if the result will be the same as DV-AVI?
    Is it impossilble to stamp a HD-file?
    Quote Quote  
  4. The output is a high definition AVI file - it is not a DV AVI file or any other standard definintion format. AVI files can contain a huge number of video compression formats and resolutions, not just DV.

You can choose the compressor used so you can even have "uncompressed" or lagarith output if you want.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HDVsplit will split by timestamp (either when capturing, or on already captured m2t files) and will include the date/time in the filename - but not burnt into the footage. Obviously with the date stored in the filename it's trivial to add it as a subtitle later if you want.

Alternatively, there's an HDV metadata viewer - I've forgotten the name - but it'll show you the time/date stamp at any point in the footage, whatever application you used to transfer it to the PC (as long as you didn't intentionally strip out the metadata).

I think footage with the date/time constantly shown (like you often see on old VHS home movies) looks desperately amateurish. You're shooting gorgeous HD now - don't clutter the screen with this junk!

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you tiresias, for explaining that an AVI-file can also be HD. I did not know that.
    Regarding the next posting I can only confirm that these HD-films are desperately amateurish and should only be shown in the family. I can only regret that old pictures and surely also old familyfilms if existing were not stamped as noone after a number of years knows when they were created.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by uno
    I can only regret that old pictures and surely also old familyfilms if existing were not stamped as noone after a number of years knows when they were created.
    Yes, but they are analogue formats - if they're not stamped in-vision, then you have no data. (I used to show the date in-frame on the first shot of each day, and then switch it off again).

However, on digital formats (DV and HDV), the date and time are there embedded within the file. If you have the file, you have the time/date

You do keep the original file, don't you?

Obviously when transcoding / rendering to a different format, the time/date is lost. It's also lost when re-encoding to the same format in dumb editors, but smart editors like Edius carry the information over - very useful. So, if you're rending to something else, it's worth adding it for posterity. But not on screen all the time!

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am in the same boat with this issue.

I have a Sony HDR-HC1 HDV Camcorder. As an end result I would like to take the footage and burn to Blu-Ray disc, with exported HDV Timecode as *optional* subtitles, accessible via the subtitle button on the BD remote. Using several of the tools and tutorials on this site, I've gotten gotten almost everything to work - HDV converted to BD with optional .SRT subtitles that I author myself. The only piece that is missing is a software package that takes the embedded HDV Timecode and converts it to .srt. I have used DVDateCode to do this with standard DV. Surely by now there must be a utility to do this with HDV?? I've searched high and low, and can't find one. DVMP Pro 3 has the interesting feature of "burning" or embedding the metadata in the .m2ts file, but that's not what I'm after. It claims to export data for DV (have not tried this) but not - yet anyway -for HDV.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Any update on creating this subtitle file with the date stamp? Looking for a similar solution myself.

Originally Posted by jmayer33 View Post

I have a Sony HDR-HC1 HDV Camcorder. As an end result I would like to take the footage and burn to Blu-Ray disc, with exported HDV Timecode as *optional* subtitles, accessible via the subtitle button on the BD remote. Using several of the tools and tutorials on this site, I've gotten gotten almost everything to work - HDV converted to BD with optional .SRT subtitles that I author myself. The only piece that is missing is a software package that takes the embedded HDV Timecode and converts it to .srt. I have used DVDateCode to do this with standard DV. Surely by now there must be a utility to do this with HDV?? I've searched high and low, and can't find one. DVMP Pro 3 has the interesting feature of "burning" or embedding the metadata in the .m2ts file, but that's not what I'm after. It claims to export data for DV (have not tried this) but not - yet anyway -for HDV.

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I'm also in the same boat as jmayer33 and pgtboy. I have a number of video files I've transferred directly my HDR-HC1 camcorder and would be great to export the date/time codes as a .srt file.

Originally Posted by jmayer33 View Post

Quote Quote  
  11. brock landers
    Search Comp PM
    iMovie allows you to display the date/timestamp after importing AVCHD files.

Does anyone know of an apple or windows video editor that will allow you to do this and then save video as mpeg 2?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    pf4711: One post is enough. I removed your other.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Any updates on how to extract datecode from HDV m2ts files?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone post a sample video they would like date time captured. I would like to pursue this.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm also looking for a way to transport m2t files' date / time codes to .srt files, similar to what Paul Glagla's program DVdate does to DV-AVI files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should be able to use FFprobe to get frame timecodes and create the SRT file. The SRT file is going to be large if it contains every frame, if I understand correctly what you want.
    Although FFprobe is a Command Line program, you should be able to create a batch file that will create the SRT. It should also be fairly easy to create a no frills GUI, Using FFprobe.

An alternative would be to use an AVIsynth script to show the times and whatever else you wish with an AVIsynth capable player.

[Attachment 48417 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  17. No, inside M2TS files captured from HDV cassettes theres embedded datecode that shows date and time of the capture. Same time and date that was set on the camera prior to recording.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by guy24s View Post
    I'm also looking for a way to transport m2t files' date / time codes to .srt files, similar to what Paul Glagla's program DVdate does to DV-AVI files.
    The way it could be done from practical point of view --> capturing M2T into clips by HDVSplit which gives clip names by timecode, then editing those HDV files as you'd normally do , cutting clips moving around on timeline, and then getting subtitles by clip names after editing was done. It was a common thing back then using Sony Vegas NLE. I used to do that as well. There are scripts for Vegas that first create named regions from events (clips) on timeline, then you just run other script to create subtites from those regions. You are getting sub subtitle , that you can use in MKV.
    It sounds more complicated then it actually is.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Do you guys have a m2t sample, perhaps I can help. But I need to try it first.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I understand now... I think

MediaInfo will do this for you. It also has a CLI (command Line) version that can be used in a batch file also:
    [Attachment 48419 - Click to enlarge]

I already use this method in the Date Time change program I wrote:
    [Attachment 48420 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 48422 - Click to enlarge]

If you want an SRT file to show each frame while playing, using FFProbe , IMHO, is the best because frame times can vary slightly frame to frame for several reasons.
    Last edited by Budman1; 16th Mar 2019 at 11:18.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks for your replies.

Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    The way it could be done from practical point of view --> capturing M2T into clips by HDVSplit which gives clip names by timecode, then editing those HDV files as you'd normally do , cutting clips moving around on timeline, and then getting subtitles by clip names after editing was done. It was a common thing back then using Sony Vegas NLE. I used to do that as well. There are scripts for Vegas that first create named regions from events (clips) on timeline, then you just run other script to create subtites from those regions. You are getting sub subtitle , that you can use in MKV.
    It sounds more complicated then it actually is.
    While the files originally were separated through HDVSplit, I have already joined them and I don't have the originals anymore. So I cannot do it that way.

Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Do you guys have a m2t sample, perhaps I can help. But I need to try it first.
    I'll PM you a link to one of my .m2t files.

Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    If you want an SRT file to show each frame while playing, using FFProbe , IMHO, is the best because frame times can vary slightly frame to frame for several reasons.
    I tried to do it in FFProbe, but I don't understand how to create a .srt file for a .m2t file which displays the time / date. Could you please tell me how? I would really appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I will try to create a batch file and include the ffprobe script. I already have a similar one that pulls all frame times and formats it to usable form so I will try to modify for SRT. Also could you PM me a link for your m2t files to test with. Thx

What exactly do you want t in subtitles. One line with just frame time or two lines,one for date and one for time? Also are you looking for local time or UTC time like metadata?

Also, exactly what do you want in the SRT file just one line with tomes or two lines, one date, one time ? Do you want time in local or like the metadata in UTC time?
    Last edited by Budman1; 16th Mar 2019 at 14:22.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I tested the file, but it doesn't contain date and time, I have another m2t file downloaded, which does, it's a sample from an old HDV Canon XHA1.
    I know that the cams stores the info on tape, but I need to know the follwing to get it:

1.) Is the sent file the "source" file, the file direct from capturing or is it already exported from any software to that m2t file? I need the source file.
    2.) What program did you use for capturing HDV. Probably I can suggest another which also copies the date time metadata in file, some don't, I already seen that and changed my nle.
    3.) What camera was used?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    I will try to create a batch file and include the ffprobe script. I already have a similar one that pulls all frame times and formats it to usable form so I will try to modify for SRT. Also could you PM me a link for your m2t files to test with. Thx

What exactly do you want t in subtitles. One line with just frame time or two lines,one for date and one for time? Also are you looking for local time or UTC time like metadata?

Also, exactly what do you want in the SRT file just one line with tomes or two lines, one date, one time ? Do you want time in local or like the metadata in UTC time?
    User flashandpan007 says there are no metadata in the file after having received it, but I sent you the link as a PM too just in case.
    I just want two lines centered at the bottom of the screen, first one containing the date (YEAR-MM-DD) and one containing the time in 24-hour format (HOUR:MIN:SEC). The same time as in the metadata.

Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    I tested the file, but it doesn't contain date and time, I have another m2t file downloaded, which does, it's a sample from an old HDV Canon XHA1.
    I know that the cams stores the info on tape, but I need to know the follwing to get it:

1.) Is the sent file the "source" file, the file direct from capturing or is it already exported from any software to that m2t file? I need the source file.
    2.) What program did you use for capturing HDV. Probably I can suggest another which also copies the date time metadata in file, some don't, I already seen that and changed my nle.
    3.) What camera was used?
    I transferred them from the camera to my computer via Firewire using HDVSplit. For unknown reasons, when I had the software set to record in a seamless long recording, the transfers suffered horrible frame drops of hundreds of frames. The only way around this was to let HDVSplit split each new scene up as a new file. So I ended up with like 100-200 small files for every tape and I needed to join them. I was advised to do this in MPEG Video Wizard DVD as there would be no re-encoding involved, so that is what I did. Do you think this method stripped the files of their metadata, or does HDVSplit simply don't keep the metadata? Unfortunately I didn't keep all those small files so if that's the case I'm screwed then. I cannot redo them all over again as I don't have the camera anymore.

The camera used (both for recording the said footage and for transferring to my computer) was a Sony HVR-A1E. Same camera was also used to transfer hundreds of hours of standard definition MiniDV footage (but in WinDV instead of HDVSplit) and all the metadata was kept in those.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I need one of the short clips, the metadata was stripped away I am pretty sure.

If that is not working, you need to download a trial nle like vegas to do a new short capture for testing. On the tapes the metadata is still preserved. So don‘t worry.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    I need one of the short clips, the metadata was stripped away I am pretty sure.

If that is not working, you need to download a trial nle like vegas to do a new short capture for testing. On the tapes the metadata is still preserved. So don‘t worry.
    Unfortunately I cannot recapture them as I don't have neither the camera or the Firewire card in possession anymore. I am very disappointed that the metadata was stripped from the files after I had been told that MPEG Video Wizard DVD would not re-encode anything when joining multiple .m2t files together, but apparently I was misinformed.

Anyway, thank you for all your efforts and help.
    Quote Quote