VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    [suggestion] If you're capturing with VirtualDub, aren't you playing this on a VCR? What frame size does your VCR output when playing? If it's 640x480 (4:3 standard definition), capture in VirtualDub to AVI 640x480. Later your encoder should generate the correct DVD frame (for 4:3, I'd use 704x480 for DVD).
    how can i know what resolution my vcr outputs ??

virtualdub > capture mode > with null transform ??

won't 640X480 just scales the input so it will fit in

i read somewhere that vcr can output close to 704X488 or something like that ,
    but SD capture card won't go pass 480
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    [suggestion] If you're capturing with VirtualDub, aren't you playing this on a VCR? What frame size does your VCR output when playing? If it's 640x480 (4:3 standard definition), capture in VirtualDub to AVI 640x480. Later your encoder should generate the correct DVD frame (for 4:3, I'd use 704x480 for DVD).
    Analog signals are a continuous wave form that you can capture with as few or as many samples as you want. Analog NTSC has 480 discreet scan lines but along the horizontal axis it can be captured as any number of pixels. The bandwidth of VHS limits the resolution of the picture to about 360 pixels in the horizontal dimension.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm learning nothing here but thanks for trying to school me
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smartel View Post
    how can i know what resolution my vcr outputs ??

virtualdub > capture mode > with null transform ??
    You can capture at many frame sizes. I capture SD at its 4:3 output, which looks like 640x480 on a TV. I never used null transform when capturing with virtualDub, so I don't know what to tell you there. But I don't have any of your original VHS video. Doesn't it play back with a 4:3 frame size on your TV? I realize many cable broadcasts are letterboxed (can't rid of that if it was broadcast that way. Well, you can, but it's tough and upsizing to fill the frame doesn't work well.)

Looks as if you did a nice job of denoising.

Your MPEG has a max bitrate of 12180 kb/s. You gain nothing from VHS with bitrates this high, but it doesn't hurt. Needs a little color work; highlights are blown away, faces are green, but you can always fix color later. The capture below is frame 15. I resized it a little horizontally to 640 pixels wide, and added a little red to the player's face.

[Attachment 7593 - Click to enlarge]

Your 5800 isn't tracking that well. In frame 15 look at the bent metal bar ( I overlaid a box around it), and the one to its left. Mount the video in VirtualDub and cycle a frame at a time, back and forth between frames 0 and 16. Watch the player's face and the metal bar change shape. A line-level TBC could have prevented much of this.

Good work. You made a vast improvement over the original. I learned a lot from this thread.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 21:44.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    I'm learning nothing here but thanks for trying to school me
    But you taught us a little. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by smartel View Post
    ok here is my results

i included a sample with lots of whites

looks like it's very close to posterisation (or plastification)

i've included the script i think it's a very good script for 2nd or even 3rd generation VHS

QUESTION

the files looks better on TV with a dvd player ..

what would be a good media player for previewing captured material intended for TV viewing

I once read about mediapleyer classic home cinema and powerdvd being closer (or truer) for TV emulation

are they settings inside MPC-HC or maybe even ffdshow
    so they won't change or enhance viewing and stay true to the file ?

I wouldn't necessarily use that script filters or identical values for everything. All these suggestions people are making are meant to be a starting point for a specific source. You should learn what the filters do and customize them for each source. For example, in this sample, you might have used different values or filters - there are areas that are blown out (have a look at the details on logos on the ice - or maybe you're that ashamed of the Habs ). It probably didn't have the exact same characteristics as the other video, so there is no reason to blindly apply the same filters or values. If things look posterized to you , there is a good chance things were overprocessed
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i think this was a dub so the error was imbeded onto the tape

thx a lot for your help , it's really generous from you guys

and i still have a lot to learn

and this was a segment from the same capture , i won't live old enough to filter each scene differently ( i maybe have 500h of tapes) so i try to filter for each capture when i get some very precious tapes i'll take more time into it
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well on ice exposure is definitely going to be different lighting setup than inside a studio .

It's not that difficult to filter in segments; you can use Trim() to divide up sections . Presumably it doesn't go back & forth that often

I would argue getting the levels correct is probably the most important thing to do - you can do it either in hardware or software

A good filter to start learning about basic levels is histogram() . You make adjustments with smoothlevels, then preview using f5 in avspmod. Your goal is to put everything within the brown lines, that corresponds to Y= 16-235 , which is "legal range" . Data outside that range won't be visulized on your TV. For example, like the logos the on the ice

You can try some "auto" filters as well, like autolevels() , but they tend not to work as well as manual adjustments

(I was joking about the Habs btw, they are awesome)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your MPEG has a max bitrate of 12180 kb/s..
    For non-DVD specs, this is actually quite good. Anything in the 12-20Mbps range is suggested.
    I've gone over this before.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Your MPEG has a max bitrate of 12180 kb/s.
    Weird, Bitrate Viewer shows it's about 20,000 kbps CBR:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bv.png
Views:	405
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	7595

MediaInfo says 9800. GSpot says 9830 avg. A quick calculation based on file size gives about 9800 (27,000 kbytes * 8 / 22 sec). I usually find Bitrate Viewer to be most accurate but something about this file has it confused. For some reason it thinks the frame rate is 59.94 fps, and hence shows the running time is only 11 seconds.
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Jun 2011 at 19:23.
    Quote Quote  
  11. dgindex preview also suggests ~9.8 Mb/s

wonder why bitrate viewer is so off ? If you demux to elementary stream , it gives correct value
    Quote Quote  
  12. I tried a remux with Mpg2Cut2 and Bitrate Viewer showed the same thing. But demuxing with DgIndex gives an M2V file where it shows the correct values:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bv2.png
Views:	520
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	7596

That's in Bitrate Viewer's "1 second" mode.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the capture was 20M (the first one) I redid it with huffy but once converted to mpeg i did a variable 9500/9800 bitrate
    if you add the audio it's even more was 224 audio i think
    isn't the max bitrate 10080 video+ audio total ? (9800 being the max for video)
    looking at your graph i may have pushed it a little too much
    Last edited by smartel; 27th Jun 2011 at 23:14.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Your MPEG has a max bitrate of 12180 kb/s..
    For non-DVD specs, this is actually quite good. Anything in the 12-20Mbps range is suggested.
    I've gone over this before.
    I recall that discussion, LS. The numbers I quoted came from GSpot, which listed a target of ~9000 VBR, a peak at ~12000.

To get 90 minutes of video on a disc at 720x480 or 704x480 with a 4:3 VHS capture, I set both my encoders and my DVD recorder to 6200 VBR target, 9000 max. I use two methods to see what I believe is a display of the actual bitrate being "used" on playback (I don't know how great a test these displays are). In PowerDVD those videos play back at bitrates that hover between 4500 and 6700, usually in the upper 5000's almost all the time, depending on action, detail, etc. My Toshiba recorder's playback display shows the same figures, so I guess both playback devices are looking at the same thing. I haven't watched every frame of those videos, but I keep waiting for the displays to rise over 7000 but haven't seen it yet.

I don't really know how "accurate" that kind of display would be. Is there a utility that gives the actual bitrate or data count in a frame, much the same way computers show file sizes?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by smartel View Post
    ok here is my results

i included a sample with lots of whites

looks like it's very close to posterisation (or plastification)

i've included the script i think it's a very good script for 2nd or even 3rd generation VHS

QUESTION

the files looks better on TV with a dvd player ..

what would be a good media player for previewing captured material intended for TV viewing

I once read about mediapleyer classic home cinema and powerdvd being closer (or truer) for TV emulation

are they settings inside MPC-HC or maybe even ffdshow
    so they won't change or enhance viewing and stay true to the file ?

I wouldn't necessarily use that script filters or identical values for everything. All these suggestions people are making are meant to be a starting point for a specific source. You should learn what the filters do and customize them for each source. For example, in this sample, you might have used different values or filters - there are areas that are blown out (have a look at the details on logos on the ice - or maybe you're that ashamed of the Habs ). It probably didn't have the exact same characteristics as the other video, so there is no reason to blindly apply the same filters or values. If things look posterized to you , there is a good chance things were overprocessed
    for a newbie for me it's really hard to tell which parameters i have to tweak maybe the RemoveDirtMC(50,false) tone the 50 down of the LSFMod less sharpening (or both?)
    so for me i think it's better to find an overall setting for the capture . One capture should have about the same caracteristics ( same recording environnement) i rather have a little noise left and keep everything smooth

i know i should start with the black and white levels and move my way up to color balance etc etc ..
    Quote Quote  
  16. One capture should have about the same caracteristics ( same recording environnement)
    Not entirely true. The capture might have similar characteristics, but the content might be entirely different. Just think if you capture a movie broadcasted on TV, a night scene will be entirely different than a daylit scene . The black level for a capture is usually the same, but the highlights/superwhite level can vary a lot

Levels is the easiest thing to screw up and the most dangerous, especially in hardware. Hard blow outs mean that information is gone, permanently. Not recoverable in software or any method, unless you capture it properly. If you capture and the levels are ok, then you can make fine adjustments in software, but this will vary by scene

I would reduce both settings for RemoveDirtMC and LSFMod if you want less "plastiky" look. It's entirely possible these are the wrong filters to use for this example.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    but .. but the 1st results look very promising i'm not aiming for perfection (not yet)

i posted this capture as an example for a bad noisy source , so i could learn a little something

they are so many filter combinaisons that someone could easily get really confused

i know that trying and see the results maybe i could identify filters needed just by looking at the source

but for now it isn't my case , i'm still at the test stages and i tend to filter less
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Capture in avi lossless man it's much better, it's a bit for bit copy you'll have, you can easily manipulate it in software after.If you want a good encoding i suggest you forget mpeg2 forever and have a look at x264.

Best pro mpeg2 encoders will not be even close to x264 results, always blocking somewhere.
    I found good x264 settings recently for vhs back up if you're interested
    i'd like a follow up on this , h264 backup settings for vhs masters
    Quote Quote