VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Requirement:
    What HandBrakeCLI settings should I use to convert Apple Pro Res 422 format MOV files to a lossless format and use as input files for editing under Windows. Perhaps an AVI file. I have tried ffmpeg but this tool seems to be a non-starter.

Background:
    I have had some old 8mm (silent) home movies converted to Apple Pro Res 422 format (MOV files). I use VideoStudio 2018 but these are not supported. I used ffmpeg under Ubuntu to convert them to MP4 but they were faded and washed out. I did the same with Handbrake and they played fine in VideoStudio. However, I would like to use an intermediary lossless format with VideoStudio as the input file and then edit and render as an MP4 file. Every conversion I have tried so far has resulted in a file size of between 2 and 10% (MOV file is 5.2GB converted AVI was 85MB to 300MB), so I am concerned that there is some quality loss. I accept that this will happen when I produce final MP4 files or whatever other output format I choose to use, but I would like the source files to be of higher quality like the Pro Res 422 MOV file.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Install the lossless HuffYUV codec and then transcode your files with FFmpeg.
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i my_input.mov -c:v huffyuv -pred 2 my_output.avi
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that. It worked and VideoStudio could play the video in the project timeline, but not as a clip. I can live with that. The 5.4GB MOV became an 11.4GB AVI. Cheers.
    Quote Quote