VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I have captured old VHS tapes (using Pyle PVRC43 video recorder) to AVI. It will run on the PC but not on my Samsung smart TV.
    I think it may have something to do with the codec.
    Can anyone tell me of a program (free or cheap) to help convert/fix to a standard that will run on most smart TV's
    Appreciate any help
    Regards
    Peter
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    The tool may be less important than the format. I don't know Samsung Smart TV sets in detail, but I believe they are quite flexible, they should support MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) video with AAC or MP3 audio, multiplexed to an MP4 or MKV container. Quality based encoding is recommended, a CRF value 15...18 should be a good compromise. Use an interlaced encoding mode, TV captures will probably use TFF.

Yes, HandBrake may be one possible tool, or the similar VidCoder, also StaxRip or MeGUI or Hybrid ... even VirtualDub2 should be sufficient.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The best answer to these types of questions..."How do I get .xxx format video play on my TV?" always is, spend $30-50 on an Android Box that will play just about anything you throw at it.

Converting your already poor VHS source videos will only make them worse.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Thanks for all your help/advice but I still have a problem as the output ( tried all the options above) and they all have a 'glitch' in the same place so a seems there is something wrong with the original video file.
    The other thing that may point in the right direction is that the original will only play on the windows player not VLC or any other players.
    I have attached the original video (avi) file and a test output (mp4) from a converter. As I have said all the above software mentioned have the same glitch in the same spot.
    I have tried VirtualDub2 to try and fix the avi file but it only gave a frame error.
    I have also tried to change the codec with software found on the net. Did not help.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Peter
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by pekajo View Post
    Samsung smart TV
    Which model exactly?

Originally Posted by pekajo View Post
    they all have a 'glitch' in the same place
    At which spot exactly?
    Of course if the original file is truly broken you'll have to live with it. (Maybe you can cover up the problem a little.)
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can use Handbrake to convert AVI to MKV or MP4 encoded by H264 or HEVC codec. And you'd better not keep your output file resolution over 1920x1080. As for other parameter settings, please adjust video frame rate as 30fps for FHD and 60fps for HD. 30Mbps bit rate is your best choice.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    If the original AVI file plays in a Windows Media player, then you may have a chance to convert it using a converter which uses AviSynth, where you can create a script using either AviSource or DirectShowSource to load the video using the decoder installed in your Windows system. VirtualDub2 should have used the VfW codec to decode it, but if that already failed, your last hope may be the DirectShow decoder which might skip the faulty frame.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried using AVI FourCC Code Changer?If the tv doesn't play divx then change it to xvid or vice versa if the tv won't play xvid.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The video in the AVI file is h.264 encoded -- so it's compatible with the mp4 container. I did a quick remux of the video and aac encoding of the audio with ffmpeg:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i Original.avi -c:v copy remux.aac.mp4
    The default is to encode audio to aac so it wasn't necessary to specify that.

If this works on your TV you can use a batch file to convert other videos very easily. Just drag and drop onto the batch file.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can run the file through mkvmerge to produce a proper h.264 mkv that your tv can play with no need to re-encode the audio,most newer hdtv with usb playable will play most audio including dts,not sure about the newer ac3 audio.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote