VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a registered copy of Vob2mpg V3 Pro -- it worked reasonably well in the past, but it can apparently fail very spectacularly on certain newer DVDs. (ie: Monsters University) Since it has not been updated in many years, I'm looking for a similar, but actively maintained program.

Any recommendation?

Essentially, I just want a program that can extract the main movie and preferably its subtitles from a DVD image without much interaction and write them into a file. No recoding is needed, but if the video gets converted to a different format, it's no big deal.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vob2mpg is not decrypter meaning it cannot break the protection on dvds. Are you running the dvds through a program like dvdfab or anydvd to remove the copy protection? If your not doing that then vob2mpg then it won't work correctly. if you want to make it easy on you you can use makemkv its free. You just gotta get a beta key once a month from makemkv forum. Makemkv will break the protection from dvds and rewrap then to mkv no reecoding is done. It will let you keep the main movie with subtites if thats what you want. But you will loose the menu. No quality change.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Wizard23 View Post
    Vob2mpg is not decrypter meaning it cannot break the protection on dvds.
    Movies are first ripped with either DVD Decrypter or AnyDVD.

if you want to make it easy on you you can use makemkv its free. You just gotta get a beta key once a month from makemkv forum. Makemkv will break the protection from dvds and rewrap then to mkv no reecoding is done. It will let you keep the main movie with subtites if thats what you want. But you will loose the menu. No quality change.
    I'll try makemkv. I don't care about the menus.

Edit: I just tried, and makemkv seems to work very well for a beta SW. And it can even open iso files, so I don't need to bother to extract the files from them.
    Last edited by aurgathor; 3rd Dec 2019 at 06:11.
    Quote Quote