VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A Kaby Lake CPU is no longer going to be a requirement for 4K Netflix streaming. Soon subscribers will be able to stream Netflix 4K with most Nvida GeForce GTX 10-series graphics cards.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11306/nvidia-netflix-4k-pc-preview-launched
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3193566/components-graphics/nvidia-quietly-opens-4k-net...ics-cards.html
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/netflix-4k-uhd-nvidia-geforce-gtx-10-series/
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st May 2017 at 17:18. Reason: forgot to note that this change only affects PCs
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so Netflix do not need SGX at all ?
    Any cpu with a 10-series gpu is good ?
    I thought it meant that you still need a Kaby lake cpu (SGX) but now you can use the 10-series gpu. Not only the i-gpu.
    Last edited by imhh1; 1st May 2017 at 21:31.
    JVC X550R 4K/HDR/WCG - DENON X2300W 5.1.2 DTS-X/ATMOS - Klipsch Reference Series R-26F, R-25C, R-10S - SAMSUNG K8500 UHD player - GTX1070, i7 HTPC
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by imhh1 View Post
    so Netflix does not need SGX at all ?
    This is about Netflix 4K streaming on a PC. SGX is a specific requirement for UHD Blu-ray playback.

As far as I can recall, nothing that I read on the subject of Netflix 4K streaming to a PC specifically mentions SGX as a requirement. What I can remember reading last year is that Nvidia's and AMD's latest video cards did not pass Netflix's testing with PlayReady.

Any cpu with a 10-series gpu is good ?
    I think so, as long as it can run Windows 10 plus Edge or the Netflix Player app.

I thought it means that you still need a Kaby lake cpu (SGX) but now you can use the 10-series gpu. Not only the i-gpu.
    The link I included from Anand Tech said otherwise:
    The CPU doesn’t matter since the 4K decoding is happening on the discrete graphics card. Nvidia requires a GeForce GTX 1050 graphics card or higher with at least 3GB of RAM to stream 4K Netflix videos.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st May 2017 at 21:58.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks, I wonder if kaby lake + 10-series gpu now work with uhd-bd.
    The only thing missing in my setup to try it, is the uhd certified bd drive.
    My lg drive can see the content of the disc but wont play in PowerDVD 17.
    JVC X550R 4K/HDR/WCG - DENON X2300W 5.1.2 DTS-X/ATMOS - Klipsch Reference Series R-26F, R-25C, R-10S - SAMSUNG K8500 UHD player - GTX1070, i7 HTPC
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks, I wonder if kaby lake + 10-series gpu now work with uhd-bd.
    So far there haven't been any stories mentioning changes to the hardware requirements for UHD Blu-ray that would allow the use of discrete video cards.

Netflix 4K uses different content protection technology than UHD Blu-ray. It is possible that improvements to PlayReady 3.0 implementation aren't enough to allow the use of discrete video cards for decryption. Using the CPU's iGPU and SGX could remain the only option for UHD Blu-ray playback. We'll have to wait and see what happens.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd May 2017 at 13:05. Reason: removed repeated word, grammar
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to confirm, I tried on my i7 2600 with a gtx 1070 and it worked. Netflix was running in 4k.
    So now lets hope they can update it again to make HDR work.

And if AACS 2.0 is cracked too, I wont need my uhd bd player anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to confirm, I tried on my i7 2600 with a gtx 1070 and it worked. Netflix was running in 4k.
    For others who want to try viewing Netflix 4K with their PC, the requirements are given here: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4457
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hello, dear all.

@ imhh1
    if AACS 2.0 is cracked too

The rumors that one UHD disc using AACS 2.0 was cracked are indeed true?

Source from below: makemkv forum

Until someone publishes code to do this, it would be hard for MakeMKV to "update" to do it. For all we know so far, they managed to obtain ONE key and crack ONE disk. Yes, that's a remarkable change from "No keys, no disks", but still not a general cracking.

Until a more established organization like RedFox (AnyDVD) makes an announcement that they've successfully cracked encryption, I'm dubious to what this "cracking" really means. Color me conservative...
    For now only MKVToolNix can convert to .mkv and exclude unnecessary tracks. It would be great to see MakeMKV updated.

However I recall in the news last week a critical vulnerability in Intel AMT / ME. My understanding is that the ME has access to everything including memory and is considered by many to be a dangerous back door. I wonder if it is related...the timing seems coincidental.

The timing seems to coincide with release of PC software player (PowerDVD) and UHD-BD certified drives.

It will be wonderful that someone understand how such protection works. Study how things happens. And maybe such programs like Anydvd, MakeMKV or others find some ways to add it to their products's engine.

Of course that such content requires specific hardware / software to be played and not many users will have it now. But in recent future, maybe such content could be more wide spread around the world.

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 6th May 2017 at 11:46.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @devilcoelhodog This thread's topic is about changes to the requirements for viewing Netflix 4K with a PC. I have asked a moderator to move your post to its own thread since it has nothing to do with Netflix 4K.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    Hello, dear all.

@ imhh1
    if AACS 2.0 is cracked too

The rumors that one UHD disc using AACS 2.0 was cracked are indeed true?

Source from below: makemkv forum

Until someone publishes code to do this, it would be hard for MakeMKV to "update" to do it. For all we know so far, they managed to obtain ONE key and crack ONE disk. Yes, that's a remarkable change from "No keys, no disks", but still not a general cracking.

Until a more established organization like RedFox (AnyDVD) makes an announcement that they've successfully cracked encryption, I'm dubious to what this "cracking" really means. Color me conservative...
    For now only MKVToolNix can convert to .mkv and exclude unnecessary tracks. It would be great to see MakeMKV updated.

However I recall in the news last week a critical vulnerability in Intel AMT / ME. My understanding is that the ME has access to everything including memory and is considered by many to be a dangerous back door. I wonder if it is related...the timing seems coincidental.

The timing seems to coincide with release of PC software player (PowerDVD) and UHD-BD certified drives.

It will be wonderful that someone understand how such protection works. Study how things happens. And maybe such programs like Anydvd, MakeMKV or others find some ways to add it to their products's engine.

Of course that such content requires specific hardware / software to be played and not many users will have it now. But in recent future, maybe such content could be more wide spread around the world.

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    It looks like the moderators think this belongs here for some reason... There are pirate copies of one UHD Blu-ray movie in circulation that seem genuine. That might not mean anything with respect to future availability of ripping software. The possibility exists that the video was never encrypted to begin with because it was obtained before it was replicated for commercial distribution. Until there are a lot more "genuine" rips of other UHD releases in circulation, I'm going to count this a as just another one of your wishful-thinking-speculation posts on the subject of AACS 2.0 being cracked. Since another thread about the Smurfs 2 UHD Blu-ray rip was just closed, I'd leave it alone if I were you.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th May 2017 at 18:52.
    Quote Quote  
  11. @ usually_quiet

Thanks for the tips.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to share more of my experience with netflix 4k on pc.

-On edge, I get 4k resolution but audio is only 2.0
    -On the netflix Win10 app, I get 4k resolution and 5.1 audio. There's also the UltraHD logo.
    -No HDR on both software.
    -Quality is as good as my Samsung K8500 and even better NO DELAY. (100ms delay needed on my UHD standalone player)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	netflix 4k edge.png
Views:	318
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	41729Click image for larger version

Name:	netflix app.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	503.8 KB
ID:	41730
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NVIDIA has released a new driver (GeForce 384 Series Driver) which allows 10 series GPUs to work for 4K Netflix with any CPU, and it isn't necessary to be a participant in the Windows Insider Program to obtain it.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/234882/nvidia-geforce-384-series-driver-removes-need-for-n...for-4k-netflix
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by usually_quieet View Post
    NVIDIA has released a new driver (GeForce 384 Series Driver) which allows 10 series GPUs to work for 4K Netflix with any CPU, and it isn't necessary to be a participant in the Windows Insider Program to obtain it.
    The gtx 1080 can handle it right?
    Last edited by Redden; 19th Oct 2021 at 19:13.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Redden View Post
    The gtx 1080 can handle it right?
    4K Netflix requires Windows 10 (for Playready 3.0) plus a GTX 10xx card with 3GB or more of VRAM.

All the GTX 1080 cards I've looked at have more than enough VRAM, so as long as you are running an up-to-date version of Windows 10, you should be able to use your Netflix 4K subscription.
    Quote Quote