VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm getting a lot of "stuck fields" on VHS tapes where a previous field stays on top for a few frames before disappearing. It only happens when using my time base corrector so I assume that means it's not the capture device.

It's not always repeatable in exactly the same place either but it happens a lot.

I've attached a very short example - original lagaryth codec and a deinterlaced version to show the effect it has. When playing in VLC this glitch results in either frame skipping or massive judder.

Equipment is Panasonic NV-FJ710 VCR (pretty average VCR I think)
    tvonetask 1T-TBC Timebase corrector (via composite to BNC adapter)
    AmaRec software with ion video2pc usb capture device

Thanks in advance
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This is a known bug with the newer-manufactured/"black" AVT-8710 TBCs, which is the same thing as yours but a different brand name:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/3053-avt-8710-doa-2.html#post15405

BTW, the deinterlaced clip is 25fps, so it's missing half the fields and isn't representative of the actual issue.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you, so I basically need to find a better TBC? As much as I've read around the subject I'm really struggling to find consistent current information about what to go for. Is it the case that the good ones are all on the second hand market?

By the way is this video better representative of the issue?
    Thanks again
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes sir; the 50p version shows the flickering back-and-forth that results from one of the fields being frozen.

Second-hand is the way to go.

I have a "green" AVT-8710 which is supposed to be the good one, but I still prefer the (cheaper) alternative of using a DVD recorder "passthrough". Specifically, capturing HDMI output to avoid an extra D-A-D conversion step.

The HDMI thing is controversial here and at DigitalFAQ, but is the recommended setup on the German Gleitz forum.

There are a few active threads here in the Capturing subforum at the moment that mention the PAL models worth pursuing.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Typical bad TBC.

I see far too many "black" era 1T-TBCs on eBay these days. Any time you see that model, you can pretty much expect it to be a bad unit. Regardless of the seller claiming it "works" or was "tested". BS.

Just realize that a DVD recorders is NOT a TBC. It's a strong+crippled line TBC, with a non-TBC frame sync. Not the same. There are negative affects from DVD recorders, quality is reduced some. And there is a fail rate, with tapes still not cooperating. Because, again, not an actual TBC.

And only specific models can be used as such, namely the ES10/15 units.

The HDMI issue is less related to HDMI itself, and rather a problem with implementation and the hardware using it. NTSC implentation is far worse than PAL, but PAL is not immune. This method has very mixed results, erring toward the negative. The main draw of HDMI is to use HDMI converters (bad) and Blackmagic/Magewell card (bad for SD).

Finding a quality TBC is a better choice than screwing around with "also sorta-kinda" TBC(ish) methods. Those are mostly done for budget reasons, not quality reasons. And again, you'll fight the video and hardware some, to attempt to make it work as desired. It's not as straight-forward as an actual quality frame TBC.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote