VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. VP6 is the leading codec available for PC and set-top box applications, offering up to 40% better quality and 50% better playback performance than our revolutionary VP5 codec.

VP6 is the best video codec on the market today. It offers better image quality and faster decoding performance than Windows Media 9, Real 9, H.264, and QuickTime MPEG-4.

In our internal testing, VP6 beat H.264, Windows Media 9 and Real Networks 9 in PSNR comparisons using the standard set of MPEG-2 test clips. The codec looks better than Windows Media 9, shows far fewer motion artifacts than Windows Media 9, and maintains more texture and detail than Real 9 or H.264.

For detailed technical information about VP6, read the VP6 White Paper (PDF format).

Features
    New and Improved Since Beta!

Achieves a 10-15% improvement over VP6 beta.

Now supports Multi-pass encoding.

Highly configurable (constant or variable) datarate control.

Direct access to the reconstruction buffer.

Improves Error recovery.

Multiple platform support (Intel, Equator, TI, PowerPC).

Compresses high-definition (HD) material with no restrictions on the encoder. VP6 can play back 1920x1080 HD material on a 2.5 GHz PC and 1280x720 material on a 1.5 GHz PC.

Supports real-time encoding at full D1 resolution.

Up to 40% image quality improvement over VP5.

Up to 50% faster playback than VP5.

Optimized to produce the best quality video available on high-resolution material (640x480 and higher).

Designed for inexpensive DSP processors. VP6 is ideal for embedded chipsets in non-PC devices and set-top boxes. Unlike some standards-based codecs (JVT, MPEG-4 v10), VP6 runs on general-purpose DSPs without requiring expensive add-on subprocessors.

VP6 is a purely software-based solution that can be upgraded easily.

Introduces predefined "profiles": Simple for fast playback on inexpensive processors, General for full D1 on set-top boxes, and Advanced for ensuring the best quality possible at extremely low datarates.

Achieves any requested data rate by choosing automatically to adjust quantization levels, adjust encoded frame dimensions, or drop frames altogether.

Carries no burdensome "patent pooling" restrictions or complicated external licensing fees.
    news-link(german)
    http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/vza-29.10.03-000/
    there is only one thing alive and
    well here... - evil!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sounds good, but who is supporting this codec (besides them-selves)?
    Ok for Pc's but what else? it needs to break out of the Pc box onto dvdplayers xbox Ps2 and new set top devices.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  3. On2's VP6 codec is being used as the next generation high definition DVD called EVD (Enhanced Versatile Disc). Beijing E-World Digital Technology Co Ltd, a conglomerate of China's largest electronics manufacturers has licensed On2's VP6 in a multimillion dollar deal. It has five times the resolutuion of a DVD and more storage. November 18th is the launch date for EVD in China. Will the rest of the world follow? China exported 70% of the DVD players they manufactured last year.
    This codec absolutely rocks! If you are having trouble downloading it, it's because their website has been overwhelmed by people downloading it today.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We also have lic. all thier codecs going back many years -- they have others besides the vP series .. that they own
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  5. From On2's website:

VP6 Downloaders: We apologize if you are having trouble downloading the codec. Over 14,000 people have downloaded VP6 in the past 36 hours. We're currently working to mirror our server on other machines.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Here are some specs on EVD players.

EVD officialy is born.
    Characteristic:
    1. has the independent intellectual property rights the high definition disc broadcast machine EVD official birth
    2. has the high return to original state characteristic the music and picture effect
    3. has realized the 1920x1080 resolution high definition
    4. DVD/VCD rises the frequency HD 1080i high definition output
    5. DVD-9 single small dish 110 minute long, compatible DVD disc production line
    6. compatible EVD\DVD\VCD\MP-3\PHOTO-CD broadcast
    7. ultra thin aluminum alloy wiredrawing modelling
    Function:
    1. EVD\DVD\VCD\MP-3\PHOTO-CD compatible broadcast
    2. YPbPr HD output port supports the 1920*1080 i60Hz form demonstration
    3. DVD\VCD 1080i HD rises the frequency demonstration function
    4. Optical optical fiber, Coaxial coaxial Dts\Ac-3 digital output
    5. PAL\NTSC double service pattern video output
    6. YCrCb interlacing chromatic aberration, S end, VIDEO video frequency interlace out-port
    7. double sound track tonic train signalling out-port
    8. multi- sound tracks audio frequency decoding out-port

Technical parameter
    1. VFD demonstrates
    2. stereo sound outputs
    3. YPbPr 1080i HDTV output
    4. YCbCr 480i/576i compatible output
    5. S video output
    5. VIDEO video output
    6. Optical optical fiber outputs
    8. Coaxial coaxial outputs
    9. multi- sound tracks decoding output
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If they hit the states under $150 they'll make biollions! Especially if they support MPEG4, AVI, and WMV at the same time.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  8. and which of the major studios is going to release films in a non-standard evd format (incompatible with 100% of existing dvd players). Content and hardware are both required. This may be a nice idea for the future for home burners (5 x storage, 5 films per disc?) but PIS at the moment.

Chinese players are around 70% of the world market, they export probably 95% of their production.

Mad duke if the manual is the same form of chinglish as your post there is no hope for it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. RabidDog

from the articles I've read they are already getting support from the studios. The reason why China is making the EVD player is because of outrageous patent fees they have to pay for DVD players but my main point anyway was too let people know about the VP6 codec, how good it is and some of things it is being used for. Have you done any encoding with VP6 yet?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know what applications can use this - virtual dub for captures.

Is it purely for encoding avi's, what software would it plug into ?

dlb.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    all the on2 codecs work great in Vegas
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  12. I havent tried vp6 altho I did try vp5 many moons ago and didnt really find it that impressive, But then I didnt really give it a thorough try. I will try vp6, and see what happens..

They are making this for the same reason they made svcd/cvd, I suspect , because they dont want to pay future royalties on the next gen of players. We'll see about studio support.... how many evd discs released in 2004? 2 ? 1 demo and 1 other? or less
    Also 14,000 people isnt that high is it?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Did you licence VP5? I don't believe that has ever been released for personal use. VP3 and VP4 were. I don't know if 14,000 is a lot or not considering I don't think a lot of people know about On2's codecs let alone that they can now be downloaded.
    Quote Quote  
  14. you are right. I may only have actually tried vp3 or even vp4... (I read about it in an article in computer weekly) .. I will watch with interest to see how it all develops, and there is also h.264 coming up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    h.264 has been so delayed - i suspect by the time the specs are officially approved -- it will be supersided by better technology .. as it may have been already ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No problems downloading now. Here is the link to the VP6 page:

http://www.on2.com/vp6.php3
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  17. RabidDog

Maybe EVD players do stand a chance. It looks like they will be compatible so they can play DVDs as well. Plus it look like the DVD Forum just rejected MPEG 4 for use in the next generation DVD and is sticking with MPEG 2.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/4627.cfm
    Quote Quote  
  18. I have made my choice-- xvid --- we'll see if evd ever escapes China.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The codec is superb
    I have a NTSC DVD with some fast moving scenes ( not like Matrix). Used simple profile of codec with single pass "Realtime" encoding -frameserved video to virtualdub -demuxed 384 kbps AC3 with TMPGEnc-muxed to avi with Virtualdub AC3-video 990 kbps-Total 1374 kbps like VCD. Encoding is slightly slower than real time.
    Could not see any difference between playback of vob file and avi file on my 15" monitor. Encoding with same kbps with DivX 5.1 codec, I could see differences between vobs and the avis.

The advanced profile is useful for heavily compressed files. Haven't experimented much with it but it seems to avoid blockiness and instead gives some kind of graininess which is much more acceptable.

I am switching to it for storing clips on my PC.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Here's an article from cdfreaks.com about EVD and VP6.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8453
    Quote Quote  
  21. where can joe soap get hold of the mpeg2 reference clips to also test these codecs. I am not willing to pay $80,000 but might go to a bajooka joe??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RabidDog
    :-x where can joe soap get hold of the mpeg2 reference clips to also test these codecs. I am not willing to pay $80,000 but might go to a bajooka joe??
    ftp.tek.com/tv/test/streams/Element/
    Quote Quote  
  23. I.O.U 1 bajooka joe!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Chinese initiative flies in the face of industry forums, such as the DVD Forum and Blu-ray group, who are competing to define next-generation high-definition optical disk specifications that effectively cover the rest of the world.
    According to McIntyre, On2 has agreed with Chinese officials to provide its proprietary codecs at $2 per player. The company will charge no fees for disks that use On2's codecs for compression. “When you consider hundreds and thousands of disks to be sold, our scheme for no royalty fee per disk is a big advantage,” he added.
    This may keep Hollywood from supporting this standard.

From EE Times Article
    Quote Quote  
  25. What does Beijing E-World not having to pay royalties to On2 for discs have to do with the Hollywood studios. By the way E-World has been in talks with some of the studios for some time now.

"Chinese consumer electronics manufacturers unveiled the first EVD content and EVD optical disk players in an event held at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing on Tuesday."

This is the greatest honor in China. For the managment of On2 to be invited to the Great Hall is some serious business. EVD is being backed by the Chinese government. Even if EVD only sells domestically in China it will do really well. Good thing I bought some stock in On2.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Well, this is getting out of hand.

In some ways I don't blame China. No one likes to pay these high fees and scrap the hardware to make new products when current tech can be reused.

I wish the DVD forum would see the light and use a new CODEC too. MPEG2 is not the last word in hi-def. The cost to move to blu-ray will be great and joe consumer will pay for it.

As far as all these codecs floating around, maybe its time to move to a HTPC solution. At lest I can upgrade the damn thing with new codecs!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ONT looks like something I would like to invest in for the long haul. At $1.75 today but I have no $$ to invest?

“When you consider hundreds and thousands of disks to be sold, our scheme for no royalty fee per disk is a big advantage,”
    Studios thrive off royaltys. The big rub with China is their refusal to inforce Intelectual Property rights. China has the international laws to satisfy the legal isssues involving copyrights, just not the ability to inforce them. This new system seems to invite the ability to circumvent the law. Kind of a file sharing issue. . . I could be way off on my perception of the issue. Still, money and different cultural issues are coming to play that will influence the direction od any adoptable standard for High Deffinition media.
    Quote Quote  
  28. The royalties are for using the mpeg2 format and go to the inventors of the mpeg2 compression ... god knows who it is but they must be raking it in. ($2 per disc .. x 1Billion .... give me a tiny slice of that pie!)
    Quote Quote