VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    It's not a "home" recording. At the time of the first Superbowl, there were probably less than 500 quad decks in the whole US. They usually cost around $40k+ at the time (equivalent to ~$270k today). Not counting necessary accessories (also $$$).
    So those aren't going to be used anywhere except at TV studios and Major production companies.
    Same with the cost of the tape reels. Easily a couple hundred apiece.

I might even venture a guess that the original worker "lifted" those reels from his place of business. Puts into question who actually legally owns the reels, much less the content. Makes his "clandestine" behavior more expected.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess the question would be who the guy worked for at the time. Or maybe a friend worked in the video industry and gave him access.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    It's not a "home" recording. At the time of the first Superbowl, there were probably less than 500 quad decks in the whole US. They usually cost around $40k+ at the time (equivalent to ~$270k today). Not counting necessary accessories (also $$$).
    So those aren't going to be used anywhere except at TV studios and Major production companies.
    Same with the cost of the tape reels. Easily a couple hundred apiece.

I might even venture a guess that the original worker "lifted" those reels from his place of business. Puts into question who actually legally owns the reels, much less the content. Makes his "clandestine" behavior more expected.

Scott
    What are you? Roger Goodell's lap dog? Only in today's world of screwed up copyright laws does any of this even make any sense. But then again, everything the NFL does these days is hamfisted. Here is another hot take.

http://deadspin.com/the-nfl-is-screwing-the-world-out-of-watching-the-only-1756745746
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At the end of the day, in my opinion, something of this historical importance should be given to the fans and the one lucky person who inherited it (Haupt) should be given the $ he's asking - Petition the NFL. The NFL and CBS these days are pissing off fans left and right.... i'm pissed at CBS for trying to block the fan made Star Trek Axanar with a lawsuit. There's a petition here https://www.change.org/p/cbs-support-axanar if you want to help get CBS to back off. Maybe someone can do this for Haupt/SB1 footage.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The NFL should pay him a decent "storage fee" and call it a day. No point in nickle and diming a guy for holding onto a valuable asset they were too shortsighted (or cheap) to hold onto themselves.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Words fail to describe how much I don't give a damn.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yet you came here to comment, oh the irony. Are you a hipster?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Perhaps someday this will get resolved and the fans can watch the first Superbowl. I hope someday that CBS releases the Jack Benny episodes on DVD or streaming media. These things can take a long time and be complex:

http://www.tvobscurities.com/2010/01/cbs-wont-release-episodes-the-jack-benny-program/
    Last edited by Tom Saurus; 3rd Feb 2016 at 12:21.
    Quote Quote