VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Recently I received a VCD from someone that plays on my computer just fine....however, when I place it in the DVD player, the playback is just a touch slow. Everyone's voice is about an octave too deep.
    I was thinking that if I ripped the VCD back to it's basic files and re-encoded it, I might be able to fix the playback on my DVD player. However, I cannot figure out what's what on the disc when it comes to pulling it apart!
    I use TMPGEnc and Nero ---any suggestions out there?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    why bother re ripping? i don't think that will solve the problem..
    it could be your dvd player....
    Quote Quote  
  3. nope, I've discussed this with others who've gotten the same VCD---it's in her encoding. Also, this is the only time this has ever happened....
    this is also the only DVD player I've got that has the Macrovision disabled---and I need to make a VHS copy for a poor unfortunate Luddite friend.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry friend! but why would you need macrovision disabled to copy vcd to vhs? vcd's aren't encoded with macrovision...
    Quote Quote  
  5. No but most DVD players ARE!
    From this site's definition of Macrovision:
    Videotape (analog) copying is prevented with a Macrovision 7.0 or similar circuit in every player. The general term is APS (Analog Protection System), also sometimes called copyguard.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use vcdxrip (part of vcdimager) to extract all the files (including the MPEG) from the VCD and create an XML file that can recreate the disc. VCDEasy includes vcdimager and provides a graphical front-end to vcdxrip.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Wizkid, there is information on a disc that tell the DVD player to enable macrovision. VCDs don't support it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Dear Sterno, thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  9. VCDs don't turn on macrovision on DVD players. You should be able to do an analogue copy to VHS with no problems (unless your DVD player is trigger happy with the macrovision).

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you to everyone for your help; I'd never even given consideration to the Macrovision question with a VCD and leapt to the conclusion that it would be blocked.
    However, going back to my basic problem, I still need to rip this VCD! I've plugged it into every single DVD player in the house, hacked or not and it still plays just a smidge too slow on them. It works fine on a computer....just not on any standalone player, which leads me to believe that it's the encoding that's the problem.
    I've tried Sterno's suggestion about using VCDImager and it's VCDRip program. It's definitely an interesting software. I burned the disc image to my hard drive using Nero. When I attemped to use VCDxRip, I got this messages:
    [VCDxRip.exe]
    GNU VCDImager 0.7.12
    detected v55 (64bit offsets) NRG magic
    nrg footer start = 370000176, length = 2012
    DAO type image detected
    DAOX tag detected...
    SINF: 33 sessions
    unknown tag 4d545950 seen
    nrg end tag detected
    unexpected descriptor type, check the bytes sectors mode

I played with the settings quite a bit, but I can't get this file to read---it's always the same results. I've posted this message on the VCDImager page as well, but it's not a very busy board and have received no answer in a week. Any thoughts on this problem? They'd be greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  11. It sounds like to me that the VCD was simply encoded in a dodgey way... If this is the case, there is no easy way of fixing it...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  12. Drat. Oh well, I guess I'll just request another VCD and make sure that she encodes with a program that I know and love. thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried using vcdgear to convert it back to an MPEG 1 file and then using TMPEGenc?
    Quote Quote  
  14. :P
    davebandrews, you are now officially the coolest guy on the boards! (in my opinion only of course, although I'm sure most will agree...)
    It worked! Like the proverbial charm. Thanks for the headsup on the ripping software; it gives you so many different ways to convert!

Thank you, thank you, and have I mentioned......THANK YOU!
    Quote Quote