VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What is the best setup for HD and CD drives. Should both my hard drives be on the same IDE channel or should both be setup as masters on the primary and secondary. What about the CD burner. Should it be on the same IDE channel as the drive supplying the data. Or does it even matter ? Both hard drives are 40 gig 7200 rpm ATA/100 drives.

Thanks
    Jason
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    have bot cd roms on seprate channels and if more than one hard drive set them up opposite too. so for you

channel 1
    hd master
    cdrom slave

channel 2
    cd burner master
    Quote Quote  
  3. It would be good idea with an ATA100 drive to give it it's own IDE channel, if it shares with a CD drive it will be limited to ATA33.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I did not know that putting a cd drive on the same channel as a hard drive would effect the speed. Thanks. I will put hard drives on my primary ide and the cd/writers on the other.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The controller syncs to the slowest drive on the cable. Do a hd transfer test (available from your hd mfg website) with the cd attached and without.

There are old posts of ppl doing the test.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    IDE1: master: 40gig / slave: 40gig
    IDE2: master: CDR / slave: CD

Stick all the CD drives on their own channel. But never mix CD and HD's on the same channel.

If you need more devices pull a drive or get an Ultra100 addon card.

good luck
    Quote Quote